• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Ronald Reagan still the best all-time President?[W:373]

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 88 85.4%

• Total voters
I'd go with Washington in a heartbeat.

He was the one man who could have taken a crown...and we would have no republic.

There are not many men who would refuse to even consider being made KING. Washington was such a man...and he would head my list.

Lincoln and FDR would be very high.

Reagan would NOT.

Are you talking about Ronald "My heart wants to believe that I didn't lie to the American public but the facts say otherwise - traded arms with terrorists for hostages" Reagan?

I have to say FDR he is the president that had the biggest impact on America as a country. He is the man that made America a superpower, an economic powerhouse. He is also brought America out of the largest economic depression in history.

What? WWII brought us out of the 30's depression not anything FDR did or tried to do in almost 10 years of trying. FDR did prove spending money doesn't work....

Are you talking about Ronald "My heart wants to believe that I didn't lie to the American public but the facts say otherwise - traded arms with terrorists for hostages" Reagan?

So you have no problem when Obama traded five terrorist for a worthless low life. You seem to think America hostages should have rotted in an Iran prison.

His reluctance to regulate is part of what caused the depression. FDR is the one who actually brought America out of it. Wilson put America on the world stage, he is the reason America is where it is today. Without being involved in World War I, WWII would never have gone nearly as smoothly as it did. He oversaw a period of prosperity because he was president during a booming economy, same with Clinton. His presidency contributed to the single worst economic recession the world has ever seen, also kind of like Clinton.
I do not think I could disagree with with much more than I currently do.

No, what was proven by Coolidge is you let the market bottom out, like it always had in what they used to call "panics" and then it starts rebuilding itself. Problem was we had, also under Wilson, established the Federal Reserve that had too loose a monetary policy which led to easy money, i.e. buying on margin, sometimes as little as 10% down, and then speculating in the market leading to higher stock prices, resulting in a frenzy as more was borrowed and invested leading to overproduction... blah blah blah, and then the Fed tightened the money supply when they should have been there for the banks, supposed to be the lenders of last resort, banks started failing by the thousands... A president does not control/regulate the Fed, only appoints the governors with Senate approval.

Had we never involved ourselves in WW1 there probably would have never have had to be a WW2. The Germans made their last push, exhausted themselves and the front was more or less stabilized, as it had been for years... they fought to a standstill and all sides, exhausted would have been ready to sue for peace like they always had before. But with the US coming in on the side of the Allies it became a crushing defeat for the Central Powers upon which the Allies, especially Britain and France, put the boot on the neck of Germany, emasculated them taking away their military, assessing grand war reparations, blaming the Central Powers for everything. They redrew lines, carved up the Ottoman Empire, etc... what a mess that didn't have to happen if we had not come in and made equal sides lopsided in favor of the Allies.

WW2 went smoothly? What, all that world wide destruction and over 60 million lives lost? Surely you jest.

Booming economy? We were in massive debt and a recession after WW1... he helped create the recovery by letting the marketplace do what, if left unfettered, the American marketplace does best.

FDR get us out of the Depression? WW2, the unnecessary war,is what got us off the wrong path to nowhere FDR and his "brain trust" had created with all the government intervention the executive, his party and the Congresses of the time promoted. What was shown by WW2 was that all the while we were in Depression, from '29 under interventionist Hoover until hit at Pearl Harbor in '41, was that we had the capacity to produce one hell of a lot more than the policies of Hoover and FDR allowed, and we had a workforce second to no other that beat, productivity wise, our enemies combined.

No, they mean Ronald "Amnesty for illegal immigrants" Reagan.

Or was it Ronald "assault weapons ban/Brady Bill" Reagan?

Oh, wait! Now I remember. It was Ronald "skyrocketing deficit" Reagan!

What? WWII brought us out of the 30's depression not anything FDR did or tried to do in almost 10 years of trying. FDR did prove spending money doesn't work....

The economy was already well into recovery before the war started, fueled by FDR's spending. WWII just accelerated it even faster, mostly with government military spending.

So you have no problem when Obama traded five terrorist for a worthless low life. You seem to think America hostages should have rotted in an Iran prison.

bmy7ktvyzgxmgxpjn2vl.png

I don't believe we should ever negotiate with terrorists over hostages. It simply encourages them to take more hostages. Obama was wrong for doing it as well. The difference is, Reagan tried to cover it up and lied to the American public about it. Even his infamous "apology and admission" was weak.

I do not think I could disagree with with much more than I currently do.

No, what was proven by Coolidge is you let the market bottom out, like it always had in what they used to call "panics" and then it starts rebuilding itself. Problem was we had, also under Wilson, established the Federal Reserve that had too loose a monetary policy which led to easy money, i.e. buying on margin, sometimes as little as 10% down, and then speculating in the market leading to higher stock prices, resulting in a frenzy as more was borrowed and invested leading to overproduction... blah blah blah, and then the Fed tightened the money supply when they should have been there for the banks, supposed to be the lenders of last resort, banks started failing by the thousands... A president does not control/regulate the Fed, only appoints the governors with Senate approval.

Had we never involved ourselves in WW1 there probably would have never have had to be a WW2. The Germans made their last push, exhausted themselves and the front was more or less stabilized, as it had been for years... they fought to a standstill and all sides, exhausted would have been ready to sue for peace like they always had before. But with the US coming in on the side of the Allies it became a crushing defeat for the Central Powers upon which the Allies, especially Britain and France, put the boot on the neck of Germany, emasculated them taking away their military, assessing grand war reparations, blaming the Central Powers for everything. They redrew lines, carved up the Ottoman Empire, etc... what a mess that didn't have to happen if we had not come in and made equal sides lopsided in favor of the Allies.

WW2 went smoothly? What, all that world wide destruction and over 60 million lives lost? Surely you jest.

Booming economy? We were in massive debt and a recession after WW1... he helped create the recovery by letting the marketplace do what, if left unfettered, the American marketplace does best.

FDR get us out of the Depression? WW2, the unnecessary war,is what got us off the wrong path to nowhere FDR and his "brain trust" had created with all the government intervention the executive, his party and the Congresses of the time promoted. What was shown by WW2 was that all the while we were in Depression, from '29 under interventionist Hoover until hit at Pearl Harbor in '41, was that we had the capacity to produce one hell of a lot more than the policies of Hoover and FDR allowed, and we had a workforce second to no other that beat, productivity wise, our enemies combined.

Like I just posted the US economy was already on the path to recovery before the war started, the war just accelerated it. I have no idea what history of World War I you have read but the Central Powers were on their way to defeat regardless, the US joining the war was just the final nail in the coffin. WWII did go smoothly for the US, the US lost very few lives and came out of the war a superpower. The reason it went so smoothly was that they could learn from WWI, they knew how to switch to war production, they knew how to produce propaganda, they learned form the experiences in WWI.

The Great Depression could have been stopped if Coolidge just enacted banking and investment regulation but he did not, he did not believe in interference, blame the Central Bank all you want but it could have been stopped with a simple piece of legislation.

The economy was already well into recovery before the war started, fueled by FDR's spending. WWII just accelerated it even faster, mostly with government military spending.

The recovery started around 1939-41 due to the US supplying the Allies with food and arms. You know... the Allies and WWII?

Being popular doesn't mean being a good President. The biggest reason Kennedy was popular was because he was assassinated.

See the comment to which I was responding.

The recovery started around 1939-41 due to the US supplying the Allies with food and arms. You know... the Allies and WWII?

Unemployment reached a peak in 1934 and steadily declined form there, the recovery was just greatly accelerate by the war.

Like I just posted the US economy was already on the path to recovery before the war started, the war just accelerated it. I have no idea what history of World War I you have read but the Central Powers were on their way to defeat regardless, the US joining the war was just the final nail in the coffin. WWII did go smoothly for the US, the US lost very few lives and came out of the war a superpower. The reason it went so smoothly was that they could learn from WWI, they knew how to switch to war production, they knew how to produce propaganda, they learned form the experiences in WWI.

The Great Depression could have been stopped if Coolidge just enacted banking and investment regulation but he did not, he did not believe in interference, blame the Central Bank all you want but it could have been stopped with a simple piece of legislation.

What hog wash...The US lost 407K+ with over 670K+ wounded. The Allies who fought Germany in WWI didn't learn a thing in the aftermath....it allowed Germany to re-arm with very poor after war policies like forcing Germany to pay reparations while the country was in shambles leading up to Hitler's take over. The depression didn't help and only boosted Hitler's raise to power.
Poorly thought out solutions to the problems in the far east cost millions of lives. And guess what, the US and its allies blockading Japan from 'oil' was mostly the root cause for the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Unemployment reached a peak in 1934 and steadily declined form there, the recovery was just greatly accelerate by the war.

The reason unemployment was down was because of the public work projects. A lot of dam building for one.

What hog wash...The US lost 407K+ with over 670K+ wounded. The Allies who fought Germany in WWI didn't learn a thing in the aftermath....it allowed Germany to re-arm with very poor after war policies like forcing Germany to pay reparations while the country was in shambles leading up to Hitler's take over. The depression didn't help and only boosted Hitler's raise to power.
Poorly thought out solutions to the problems in the far east cost millions of lives. And guess what, the US and its allies blockading Japan from 'oil' was mostly the root cause for the attack on Pearl Harbor.

As a portion of population, portion of men deployed, and comparatively to other nations, the US lost very few men as well as having a fully intact economy. It is kind of hard to learn from something before it even happens.
wwii-losses.png

The reason unemployment was down was because of the public work projects. A lot of dam building for one.

Exactly, it helped bring the economy to life. These projects provided people with money, creating demand and more jobs.

As a portion of population, portion of men deployed, and comparatively to other nations, the US lost very few men as well as having a fully intact economy. It is kind of hard to learn from something before it even happens.

So what you are saying the US military loses in Iraq and Afghanistan were justified because of the population proportional thing? Priceless....

what about obama?

:2rofll::2rofll:

Exactly, it helped bring the economy to life. These projects provided people with money, creating demand and more jobs.

And when the dams and other public works projects were completed what happen then? None of those projects were long term.

So what you are saying the US military loses in Iraq and Afghanistan were justified because of the population proportional thing? Priceless....

No, what I am saying that in WWII the US suffered very minimal losses compared to other countries in global total war.

How in the flying **** was that your interpretation?

And when the dams and other public works projects were completed what happen then? None of those projects were long term.

They went to work on other projects or founds jobs in the other recently revived sectors.

Back
Top Bottom