• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Rice doing the right thing with Iran?

Is Rice doing the right thing with Iran?

• Yes - It's time they live up to their international obligations.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No - Rice is creating a chasm that we cannot escape!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Unsure - Let's see where this leads us.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Option not available [please post]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Washington Post (sorry subscription required)

BRUSSELS, Feb. 9 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday that Iran must live up to international obligations aimed at curbing the spread of nuclear weapons "or next steps are in the offing."
In a press conference at NATO headquarters, Rice appeared to back away from earlier remarks that were seen as a slight rebuke to the three European powers -- France, Germany and Britain -- that are now negotiating with Iran on its nuclear program.

I believe that everyone is telling the Iranians that they're going to have to live up to their international obligations, or next steps are in the offing," Rice said in response to a question on whether the Europeans have delivered the nonproliferation message strongly enough. "And I think everyone understands what next steps mean." She added that under International Atomic Energy Agency statutes, Iran "has to be referred to the U.N. Security Council" if it does not meet its obligations.

Last edited:
Re: Is Rice doing the right thing?

It's awfully early to tell if Rice doing the right thing. But she seems to be accomplishing some good steps so far. She certainly has been well received by several European nations. I'm a little troubled by our lack of active engagement in the talks with Iran.

Re: Is Rice doing the right thing?

Pacridge said:
It's awfully early to tell if Rice doing the right thing. But she seems to be accomplishing some good steps so far. She certainly has been well received by several European nations. I'm a little troubled by our lack of active engagement in the talks with Iran.

Pacridge it is the classic good cop, bad cop scenario. US - "Get rid of your weapons programme or else!" Europe - "Look I'm trying to help you kid, I can't control him, he gets crazy sometimes, do you want me to leave him alone with you? You don't want that kid, let's make a deal."

Even Bush has no intention of invading Iran (without a draft) - maybe the Iranians know it, that the US is too bogged down in Iraq to launch an invasion of any kind. This is probably the best time to get nukes actually, the US is at its weakest in decades at the minute.

Long story short, Rice is doing the right thing. The Good Cop, Bad Cop routine might pay off.

Happy 100th for me! Beast!

"has to be referred to the U.N. Security Council"
I'm sure Iran shakes at that. I think Rice is right in being strong in letting Iran know "And I think everyone understands what next steps mean." and that's not referring to the U.N. I hope.
This can be handled without the U.S. firing a shot - let Israel know that we will veto U.N. condemnation of them knocking out nuke sites with air strikes.
The Arab nations will not retaliate against Israel militarily.

I think this is such an exciting time in our history. To be a part of it is awesome. :p The Middle East in is the process of some major changes, so with a little more prodding Iran will comply. The Administration is taking the hard line tactic. Even with our thin military, I don't think Iran would take the chance, especially with Israel on their wing. I can't wait to see how it developes.

Squawker said:
I think this is such an exciting time in our history. To be a part of it is awesome. :p The Middle East in is the process of some major changes, so with a little more prodding Iran will comply. The Administration is taking the hard line tactic. Even with our thin military, I don't think Iran would take the chance, especially with Israel on their wing. I can't wait to see how it developes.

I think you're right. And I think Iran's just blowing smoke for the most part. They may be trying to get more preferential treatment by the EU or they may be simply sticking out the chest. But, I doubt they're going to do anything knowing the Israeli's are next door and they already do have nukes.

Back
Top Bottom