• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Rice a good replacement for Powell?

Is Rice a good replacement for Secretary of State?

• Yes, she is a fine politician and will do the job well.

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No, she is Bush's puppet.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No, she is a woman and the middle east will not work with her.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Unknown, she is not on the job yet. Time will tell.

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
President Bush just announced that he is requesting Rice to replace Powell as Secretary of State.

Is she a good replacement?

To be honest with you, it won't change anything at all. She will still spill the same rhetoric as Bush and his cabinet.

(See "Smoking Gun" and "Mushroom Cloud")

heyjoeo said:
To be honest with you, it won't change anything at all. She will still spill the same rhetoric as Bush and his cabinet.

(See "Smoking Gun" and "Mushroom Cloud")
I got to agree with you, though I think she'll make a fine puppet. The more I look into her the less I like about what she's done so far with this administration. Which is kind of amazing considering. If you look at her entire resume you'll find a very bright, capable person who speaks four languages. Damn amazing considing where she started out in life. Sadly, I think, many of the intel. errors that lead to 9-11 fall directly in her lap. She had the PDB. She was the NSA. When the ship hits ground the captains got to answer for it, and in this case there's just no way she can claim she was "asleep in her cabin." She had the PDB, she did nothing. Now she's done nothing but assist in covering the mess up.

Per the 9/11 testimony:
RICE: "I believe the title was, bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States."

Rice: "It did not warn of attacks inside the United States. It was historical information based on old reporting. There was no new threat information. And it did not, in fact, warn of any coming attacks inside the United States."

If it was indeed "Historical" wouldn't it have been called bin Laden USED to be determined to attack inside the United States? If this wasn't concerning such awful event I would find her defining it as historical- hysterical. Sadly there's nothing funny about it.

Dr. Rice is a brilliant woman and a definition of the American dream; she worked her way from the bottom of the ladder to the very top. Bush has appointed two others just like her; he seems to recognize that people like this are really the people that will do the best things for the country.

The doctor will also be able to help deal with the image that we have to helping to change public opinion about us and our lifestyle.

Or he appoints them because it helps him gain the minority vote, something the Republicans aren't strong in. Hence, the hispanic and black choices for his cabinet.

That's totally backwards. Bush doesn't have to get anymore votes from anyone; he's done with the whole voting thing. So if he did this to get more votes, why didn't he do it before the last group of people who will ever vote for him? Seems to make more sense to do that BEFORE the vote, not AFTER.

Rice followed him from Texas.

Bush is very loyal to folks that work with him and not against him.

heyjoeo said:
Or he appoints them because it helps him gain the minority vote, something the Republicans aren't strong in. Hence, the hispanic and black choices for his cabinet.

Hmm, this is odd. Last time I checked the minoraty was against her. I beleive they where calling her an Uncle Tom, traitor, and bush's parrot. No liberal likes rice and thats obvious. If Bush's agenda was to gain the minoraty's trust he would have stayed with Colin Powell. :naughty

F.Y.I. The election is over, he has no reason to gain the minority's "vote".

Mr.America said:
Hmm, this is odd. Last time I checked the minoraty was against her. I beleive they where calling her an Uncle Tom, traitor, and bush's parrot. No liberal likes rice and thats obvious. If Bush's agenda was to gain the minoraty's trust he would have stayed with Colin Powell. :naughty

F.Y.I. The election is over, he has no reason to gain the minority's "vote".
Yeah, but would Powell have entertained the thought of staying with Bush?

Yeah, but would Powell have entertained the thought of staying with Bush?

I think it was the other way around.

Duh! That's why she got to office in the first place during Bush's first term. Also, they are trying to make THE REPUBLICAN PARTY seem more multicultural, and they need the minority vote also.

heyjoeo said:
Duh! That's why she got to office in the first place during Bush's first term. Also, they are trying to make THE REPUBLICAN PARTY seem more multicultural, and they need the minority vote also.

When I said "you guy are right, I wasn't refering to you, I was talking to Vauge and pacridge. Duh! But like I said, there isn't a african american (I'll be politicaly for you lol) who likes Rice in the first place, to them she's a trator. :D

Also, they are trying to make THE REPUBLICAN PARTY seem more multicultural, and they need the minority vote also.

The interesting thing is that Republicans ARE more mulicultural that any other party. It seems (no real proof) that the Democrats do not want minorities in high positions because they will have nothing to whine about when it comes election time. For instance, there was NOT a minority on Kerry's team nor in his cabinet proposals... interesting eh?

The NCAAP, for instance, has lost it's voice due mainly to the Republicans because of Dr. Rice and Powell. Now they want a new leader hoping to get the "strength" back they once had. Hate to break the news to them, but thier shallow arguments are falling on def ears all over this nation.

vauge said:
Also, they are trying to make THE REPUBLICAN PARTY seem more multicultural, and they need the minority vote also.

The interesting thing is that Republicans ARE more mulicultural that any other party. It seems (no real proof) that the Democrats do not want minorities in high positions because they will have nothing to whine about when it comes election time. For instance, there was NOT a minority on Kerry's team nor in his cabinet proposals... interesting eh?

The NCAAP, for instance, has lost it's voice due mainly to the Republicans because of Dr. Rice and Powell. Now they want a new leader hoping to get the "strength" back they once had. Hate to break the news to them, but thier shallow arguments are falling on def ears all over this nation.

Like I said before, I have been noticing this sense they have announced that Rice was going to replace Powell.

Thanks Vauge, its nice to have someone on your side! :)

I believe Ms. Rice will do the job she was hired to do and will do it very well. President Bush and Condi have not only a working relationship, but also, a personal relationship according to reporters (many of them). They say she sees the President everyday and totally agrees with him. Therefore, when she meets with anyone, they will know she is speaking for the president. That will be good for everyone. She can accomplish a lot that way. Colin Powell did not have that advantage. The problem comes when she needs to (if ever) take a side other than the one the President wants. I don't see him wanting to compromise, concidering the people he is putting in office to work with him directly. Yes Ms. Rice will be good at the job she was hired to do, or she will be gone, just like Mr. Powell.

vauge said:

I assuming you mean the NAACP? And I don't think they've lost they're voice. A few years back they were in dire straights but seem to have rebounded nicely. As for the GOP being "more mulicultural that any other party", as you put it. That's right you have no proof and it's right up there with FNC being "Fair and Balanced". If the GOP is the most multicultural party then I'm Jennifer Lopez*. The party affiliations, enrollments and voting trends easily shows the Deb's got ya beat when it comes to minorities, though you are gaining ground (esp. with latinos) and that maybe why you were able to yeak out this latest slim victory. Or as the the GOP and FNC puts it and landslide mandate:spin: .

*as my wife might testify, I may in fact have a large back side, I in fact am not Jennifer Lopez.

A few years back they were in dire straights but seem to have rebounded nicely.

Have they really? Bush refused to go to thier lynching last year. I would not call that bouncing back. They are also being investigated for being political and non-profit.

The party affiliations, enrollments and voting trends easily shows the Deb's got ya beat when it comes to minorities, though you are gaining ground (esp. with latinos) and that maybe why you were able to yeak out this latest slim victory.

Your right, but I was not refering to the voters. I was refering to HIGH governmental positions. Positions of power and leadership. Dem's want no part of it, or at least it doesn't seem like it. If they were to put them in powerful positions, then they could no longer whine and complain that there is discrimination or the government trying to keep "a brother down". Which is after all thier niche when it comes to elections. The NAACP (thanks for correction) and other similar organizations would no longer have a leg to stand on and they would be absolved. Which is going to happen eventually anyway in my opinion.

As it is now, the Jessie Jackson and Al Sharptons are slowly being boo'd and laughed off stage. They only thing they CAN scream is that Dr. Rice is not black and is a puppet, because if she were black they would have to accept that fact and move on.

vauge said:
Your right, but I was not refering to the voters. I was refering to HIGH governmental positions. Positions of power and leadership. Dem's want no part of it, or at least it doesn't seem like it. If they were to put them in powerful positions, then they could no longer whine and complain that there is discrimination or the government trying to keep "a brother down". Which is after all thier niche when it comes to elections. The NAACP (thanks for correction) and other similar organizations would no longer have a leg to stand on and they would be absolved. Which is going to happen eventually anyway in my opinion.

As it is now, the Jessie Jackson and Al Sharptons are slowly being boo'd and laughed off stage. They only thing they CAN scream is that Dr. Rice is not black and is a puppet, because if she were black they would have to accept that fact and move on.
Yes, but is the horse pulling the cart then or is it trying to push it? The GOP pepper's it ranks with a few minorities in key positions but overall does very little for the average black or latino person in general.

As for Al and Jessie being booed and laughed off the stages- been watching FNC again?

What difference does it make whether she's any good? Anyone else that the Bush baby appoints will be worse.

As expected:

Source: Yahoo News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - [size=-1]The Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday approved the nomination of Condoleezza Rice to be secretary of state. [/size]

Rice, President Bush's current national security adviser, would be the first black woman to be secretary of state.

Despite Democrats' criticism of Rice's role in forming U.S. policy on Iraq, the Republican-led Senate is expected to confirm her nomination on Thursday.

The only "no" votes in the 18-member committee came from two Democrats -- Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, who was Bush's opponent in the 2004 election, and Sen. Barbara Boxer of California, who was Rice's fiercest critic in two days of confirmation hearings.

Yes Rice is a great / awesome replacemant for another great / awesome leader Powell unfounitly she / they George Bush to work with and both have to much respect for the office to TELL IN PUBLIC WHAT THEY THING !!

PRSAIA1@AOL.COM

PRS

I do believe its rather depressing the Republican party have sucked up all the minority leaders in order to try to gain the minority vote. The Bush administration sums up all their new strategy in getting votes. Unfortunently the American populace is moronic, and would vote simply because someone of their race is in power. Asi es la vida...

Back
Top Bottom