• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is reading the whole bible required for salvation and/or to be a Christian?

ArtemisBarca

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
LifeWay Research: Americans Are Fond of the Bible, Don’t Actually Read It

This web site claims that only 11% of American Christians have read the entire Bible.. however I do not believe the number is anywhere near that high...

Every societal carrot and stick is pushing them to answer that they have read the whole bible.. every reason to lie is on the side of exaggerating how much you have read..

I would bet dollars to donuts the real number is less than one percent if preachers are removed from the study... he’ll I bet only half of preachers have read the entire thing...

So is and/or should having read the whole Bible be a requirement for salvation and/or being fairly considered a Christian??

If they have not read it, but have read many other books, what about then??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course not but salvation is a journey...the farther you go on that journey, the more you learn, so it only stands to reason that with time, yes, you would not only read, but study the whole Bible...I cannot count the # of times I've read it over the years personally...as a congregation, we read the whole Bible in a year's time and I was baptized in 1976...

If you are truly looking for God.

You will not find him/her, in a book.

This web site claims that only 11% of American Christians have read the entire Bible.. however I do not believe the number is anywhere near that high...

Every societal carrot and stick is pushing them to answer that they have read the whole bible.. every reason to lie is on the side of exaggerating how much you have read..

I would bet dollars to donuts the real number is less than one percent if preachers are removed from the study... he’ll I bet only half of preachers have read the entire thing...

So is and/or should having read the whole Bible be a requirement for salvation and/or being fairly considered a Christian??

From my perspective, quite the opposite. Reading the entire bible is prerequisite to abandoning any thought of christianity. I first read the entire bible as a late teenager, nearly 50 years ago. I only bothered trying to reread it a few years later, because I feared that I must have fallen under some serious misapprehension in my first go-round. My second try was no better. Now, I remain convinced that if the bible had only been published for the first time this year, it would be laughed off the shelves as the most misogynistic text of the 21st century. The author of the universe is not the author of that book.

If what a person seeks is to become a "christian" - whatever they think that may be, or however they wish to define that - you'd best steer clear of reading the entire bible. It is a far better idea to simply cherry pick some useful or comforting New Testament texts, and leave it at that. Stick to the things that ring true - that resonate with the heart. Consider starting with the Jefferson Bible - a truncated bible that confines itself directly to the teachings of Jesus. One is far more likely to become "christian" by taking that course.

You don't have to read a single word to be saved. Christ left instructors of the faith on Earth: his Apostles. And they left successors: the bishops of the Catholic Church. Follow them.

“The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

Back
Top Bottom