• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Price Gouging Illegal? Immoral - LearnLiberty

im definitely not as pro-gouging as the guy in the video.
i understand supply and demand.
but preying on desperate people in order to make money
is at least ethically wrong,
probably actually morally wrong.
arguing that businesses are actually doing the desperate customers a favor
by raising their prices during emergencies is completely ridiculous.
in my humble opinion of course.

I don't see anything immediately wrong with his reasoning.

I don't know. I think his example is a little far fetched. In his example, charging someone more to keep a child alive is pretty ****ty in my opinion. But charging someone more for a generator so they can keep their beer cold is far different.

I would say gouging for certain reasons is fine, while gouging for others is bad. It's not across the board ok or across the board bad. At least not in my opinion.

economics != morality

yes its wrong if someone is being taken advantage of for basic needs

economics != morality

I agree, ethics would be a better field to address.

Is it ethical to charge more in a situation of great need?

I don't know. I think his example is a little far fetched. In his example, charging someone more to keep a child alive is pretty ****ty in my opinion. But charging someone more for a generator so they can keep their beer cold is far different.

I would say gouging for certain reasons is fine, while gouging for others is bad. It's not across the board ok or across the board bad. At least not in my opinion.

The problem is that there is little to no way for the seller to identify the intended use of the buyer. Sure, they could ask, but if that seemed to be so important, the buyer could always lie. How would you, as a seller, ensure that the individual getting the object at a lower price indeed needs it for an important reason?

Back
Top Bottom