• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is pre-marital sex morally wrong?

Pre-marital sex...Limp Bizkit or Georgia Satellites?

• I did it all for the nookie

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • No huggy no kissy until I get a weddin' vow

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
Morality is a social construct. There is no empirical data which says one thing is moral or immoral. It is up to the opinion of society.

I thought we had at least moved past this question, of course it's o.k, in fact, I would highly recommend it.;)

Deegan said:
I thought we had at least moved past this question, of course it's o.k, in fact, I would highly recommend it.;)

Birth control is not always 100% effective. This could still result in an unplanned pregnancy.

independent_thinker2002 said:
Birth control is not always 100% effective. This could still result in an unplanned pregnancy.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Deegan said:

Nice analogy. Are we debating morality or penal code (no pun intended, ok, maybe a little). :rofl

First Hiker,

There are different levels of morality.

I thought you would make that statement. However, I agree. I just wonder why do you think something is morally worng that you have no problem practising? Should it not than be ok?

The key here, of course, is that you don't harm anyone or cause yourself any lasting damage. Hopefully that is a line everyone will draw. Or at least, I wish everyone would

I think that pre-marital sex can have this impact, and thus it is immorale.

Rebuttle?

Next independent_thinker2002,

So married people who don't "plan" for kids are immoral?

One should not engage in sex without considering the consequence that may apply.

Does not planning a child mean that you can't take care of that child?

No. If one can it's great!

Hello mixmedia,

And is premarital sex using birth control then moral??

Hopfully! lol If it works than great, but until it's foolproof than no.

independent_thinker2002 says,

Morality is a social construct. There is no empirical data which says one thing is moral or immoral. It is up to the opinion of society.

Than there is no base for any law but "the opinion of society". Such a statement is just untrue. I admit I do not know of any empirical data, on what is moral. I just use reality as a means test. One can dicover what is moral by looking at his own life.

Bustabush said:
I thought you would make that statement. However, I agree. I just wonder why do you think something is morally wrong that you have no problem practising? Should it not than be ok?
I think that says a lot toward my argument. There are repercussions for every action, and...
I think that pre-marital sex can have this impact, and thus it is immorale.
I agree with you on your point as well. But as far as my own personal life goes, I have been...very promiscuous in my past. And I have a fiance now whom I have also had relations with (What goes on there is only between me and my beloved, but I'll let you in on it.) In all that time, nobody has gotten hurt nor have there been lasting consequences. That came about because I took precautions neccessary in order to prevent unwanted pregnancies or diseases. And you are right, it can have very bad repercussions for those involved. But since that does not have to happen if you handle the situation correctly and use common sense, I can live with it. I can, I didn't say other people should be involved in premarital sex, not if they go about it without using good sense. Certainly not if it leads to an abortion.

But it is still morally wrong. I would never tell my fiance about every woman I had sex with over the years before we met. That is not because I am ashamed of what I did, I have no problem with it. But because it was morally wrong, it is something that I don't talk about for fear of making the woman I love believe I am not the man she knows because I did those things. Which is another case of using good sense to keep people from getting hurt even though it may be morally wrong. Another sin, the sin of ommission, another one I can live with. As long as nobody gets hurt.

It's hypocritical, I grant you. But such is life and living with your sins.

Hey Hiker,

I see what you mean. We don't have much of an argument. You are very fortunate to have not dealt with problems other people have faced,and also wise.

It's hypocritical, I grant you. But such is life and living with your sins.

So true. PM inbound Hiker.

aps said:
If so, is your opinion based upon religion or something else?

What 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is their business...............That said most religions would say its wrong and a sin and the people that engage in it will have to answer to their maker on judgment day.......

Bustabush said:
Than there is no base for any law but "the opinion of society". Such a statement is just untrue. I admit I do not know of any empirical data, on what is moral. I just use reality as a means test. One can dicover what is moral by looking at his own life.

You can't legislate morality. When there is a victim, it ceases to fall into the "opinion" category. True we do have victimless crimes(prostitution for example) and you see that those have done nothing to change the behavior of people.

Navy Pride said:
What 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is their business...............That said most religions would say its wrong and a sin and the people that engage in it will have to answer to their maker on judgment day.......
I have no maker to answer to, but I have to know I can live with myself. It's served me pretty well and my conscience is clean.

You can't legislate morality. When there is a victim, it ceases to fall into the "opinion" category. True we do have victimless crimes(prostitution for example) and you see that those have done nothing to change the behavior of people.

You can't legislate morality?:confused: How did abortion get legistated then? Why is prostitution illegal?:confused:

Morality is legislated all the time in this country.....

Navy Pride said:
You can't legislate morality?:confused: How did abortion get legistated then? Why is prostitution illegal?:confused:

Morality is legislated all the time in this country.....

Don't be daft! The point of that statement is that the law doesn't change behavior. Outlawing a behavior doesn't eliminate a behavior. You say that morality is legislated all the time and provide the two obvious ones which legislation hasn't changed much lately. Have any current examples?

Don't be daft! The point of that statement is that the law doesn't change behavior. Outlawing a behavior doesn't eliminate a behavior. You say that morality is legislated all the time and provide the two obvious ones which legislation hasn't changed much lately. Have any current examples?

Is not prostitution against the law in every state except Nevada?:confused: I rest my case........

Navy Pride said:
Is not prostitution against the law in every state except Nevada?:confused: I rest my case........

That is not current. Prostitution has been illegal for a while now. You said that morality is legislated all the time. What legislation has been passed lately?

That is not current. Prostitution has been illegal for a while now. You said that morality is legislated all the time. What legislation has been passed lately?

How do you think prostitution became illegal? It was legislated....Its still a law on the books.....It does not matter when............

Abortion became legal in 1972...Is that close enough for you?

Navy Pride said:
How do you think prostitution became illegal? It was legislated....Its still a law on the books.....It does not matter when............

Abortion became legal in 1972...Is that close enough for you?

That is hardly "all the time". And tell me, has the prostitution law eliminated prostitution yet? No, it hasn't. See, you can't legislate morality. Prostitution has always existed and always will. Laws don't change behavior when it comes to victimless actions.

That is hardly "all the time". And tell me, has the prostitution law eliminated prostitution yet? No, it hasn't. See, you can't legislate morality. Prostitution has always existed and always will. Laws don't change behavior when it comes to victimless actions.

That is not the point.........The point is morality is legislated all the time whether you admit it or not............

There is nothing morally wrong with sex at all. People have the right to have sex withwhom and where and whenever they want as long as the other is of consenting age.

Navy Pride said:
That is not the point.........The point is morality is legislated all the time whether you admit it or not............

You obviously don't, or refuse to get the meaning of that phrase.

I'm gonna do some research with as many women as I can before I come to definite conclusion...;)

Bustabush said:
What? If what is morally wrong is not bad, than tell me... What is good? What do you think a good person is? If he is not the sum of his good deeds than what is he? Surely not the sum of the bad. Tell me, what is the morale quallity of a man who only robs some of the time?

What people consider "bad deeds" will vary. You consider having sex out of marriage to be "bad." Personally, I do not. I'm not saying that my position is better than yours. You may think that the fact that I had sex outside of marriage goes towards me being a bad person or having committed bad deeds. That's okay. I don't mind being judged when I feel perfectly comfortable with the decision I have made. Sure there are men with whom I regret having sex, but that made me a better person as opposed to made me worse.

Hiker, I appreciate your honesty about how you feel it's morally wrong but you still do it. I thing "being human" makes people interesting to me. So am I understanding correctly that you don't believe in God?

Navy Pride said:
Gotta agree with yah on this one NP. Morality is indeed legislated all the time. That is where our laws come from. Undertanding that perspective is more of a challenge with folks that see individual laws rather than group laws.

No killing
No stealing
No sleeping with another mans wife

Is pre-marital sex morally wrong? Not really. Biblically speaking, this is how one actually becomes a married couple. lol

Is it morally wrong to sleep with another's spouse - even concented? Absolutely!

vauge said:
Is it morally wrong to sleep with another's spouse - even concented? Absolutely!
DAMN!...

Sorry aps...We tried...:(

Back
Top Bottom