• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is 'personhood' important?

Is personhood important?

• Total voters
You, me, and the entire remainder of humanity have no idea when a fetus can suffer.
You are right, but of course that does not preclude us from knowing when the fetus is not capable of suffering.

You, me, and the entire remainder of humanity have no idea when a fetus can suffer. What you have is hypothesis only.

You are completely false in this. If the CNS is not fully connected, the fetus cannot possibly suffer because it has A) no way to feel anything and B) no connection to the interpretation centers in the brain.

This is simple fetal development. What I have is hard, cold FACT. I'm sorry you find it inconvenient.

You, me, and the entire remainder of humanity have no idea when a fetus can suffer. What you have is hypothesis only.

Also, as you have stated,... it's a moot point.

A 'red herring / non sequitor.'

You are completely false in this. If the CNS is not fully connected, the fetus cannot possibly suffer because it has A) no way to feel anything and B) no connection to the interpretation centers in the brain.

This is simple fetal development. What I have is hard, cold FACT. I'm sorry you find it inconvenient.

What you are doing is confusing hypothesis and fact. A hypothesis based on incomplete knowledge.

What you are doing is confusing hypothesis and fact. A hypothesis based on incomplete knowledge.

It is not hypothesis that the CNS has to be intact in order for there to be spacial awareness and separation of self from the environment. It's also fact that the brain has no sensory nerves and that the sensory nerves in the rest of the body cannot interpret stimuli without the brain.

That is cold hard fact.

One of the points often brought up in abortion debates is over whether or not fetuses are (or should be) legally recognized persons with rights. However, it was recently brought to my attention that some people don't see this as important at all. I'm curious how many other share this view, so I thought I'd try to find out.

Do you believe the question of whether or not a fetus is a person in the legal sense is important to the abortion debate? Why or why not?

Not a person.

There is no birth certificate.

End of thread.

Back
Top Bottom