• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is our universe a computer simulation?

German guy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Somewhere, I read that some scientists allegedly broke their heads over this question. Some even attempted to calculate the probability for our universe being a computer simulation.

Do you know more about these ideas? Are they just yellow press pseudo-science ideas, or is there a serious debate about that?

Do you think it's possible we're just inside some huge simulation?

If yes, do you think it matters?

Sometimes I think I and everything around me is a computer simulation, the feeling comes in little flashes of insight. Good to know scientist are pondering this, I thought I was on the verge of some mental illness.:lol:

If so, then we could use an upgrade. Like, make it so we can jump 6 times higher, and take 100 bullets to kill.

Actually, just give that to me.

Somewhere, I read that some scientists allegedly broke their heads over this question. Some even attempted to calculate the probability for our universe being a computer simulation.

Do you know more about these ideas? Are they just yellow press pseudo-science ideas, or is there a serious debate about that?

Let me take another bong hit.......... wwwwwhhhhhhuuuuu..... ummmm..........ummmmmmm

mmmmmm...

YES!!

I'm starting to suspect I'm a virus, though.

If so, then we could use an upgrade. Like, make it so we can jump 6 times higher, and take 100 bullets to kill.

Actually, just give that to me.

The first "Matrix" movie was still fun ... but the second and third were not so good, IMO. ;)

Is there debate over this? absolutely, Plato and Descartes both had a lot to say regarding this. Its where "I think therefore I am" came from, which doesn't mean what it appears to. Taken in context it means "I think, therefore i can be sure that i exist and am a thinking being" and everything beyond that was subject to doubt because the senses can be fooled. Plato's example was "allegory of the cave". the modern version was "brain in a vat". the movie "The Matrix" revived interest on the subject and probably spawned the computer simulation model. Its all getting at the same idea though.

Is it possible? Anything is possible, its just the degree of likelihood that varies.

Does it matter? yes and no. when debating, the truth is the truth regardless of whether or not the subject is hypothetical or real. But, if the entire world we live in were shown to be hypothetical then i imagine people would rearrange their priorities quite a bit.

It must be the most boring simulation ever.

It must have been built by the most boring entities ever which is doubtful. Nobody with the intelligence of creating a simulation on such a scale would make it so boring. Only nature is capable of such.

It must have been built by the most boring entities ever which is doubtful. Nobody with the intelligence of creating a simulation on such a scale would make it so boring. Only nature is capable of such.

If you think the world is boring I just don't know what to say.

if it wasn't, it would seem so real

If you break it down to positive and negative charges, Yes it is. (0 & 1)

Not our universe, just you. You only "think" the rest of us and the universe really exist. Ponder that.

Are You Living in a Simulation?

VII. CONCLUSION

A technologically mature “posthuman” civilization would have enormous computing power. Based on this empirical fact, the simulation argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage is very close to zero; (2) The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero; (3) The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one.
If (1) is true, then we will almost certainly go extinct before reaching posthumanity. If (2) is true, then there must be a strong convergence among the courses of advanced civilizations so that virtually none contains any relatively wealthy individuals who desire to run ancestor-simulations and are free to do so. If (3) is true, then we almost certainly live in a simulation. In the dark forest of our current ignorance, it seems sensible to apportion one’s credence roughly evenly between (1), (2), and (3).
Unless we are now living in a simulation, our descendants will almost certainly never run an ancestor-simulation.

Digital physics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And then this led to: Digital philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Digital philosophy is a direction in philosophy and cosmology advocated by certain mathematicians and theoretical physicists, e.g., Gregory Chaitin, Edward Fredkin, Stephen Wolfram, and Konrad Zuse (see his Calculating Space).
Digital philosophy grew out of an earlier digital physics (both terms are due to Fredkin), which proposes to ground much of physical theory in cellular automata. Specifically, digital physics works through the consequences of assuming that the universe is a gigantic Turing-complete cellular automaton.
Digital philosophy is a modern re-interpretation of Gottfried Leibniz's monist metaphysics, one that replaces Leibniz's monads with aspects of the theory of cellular automata. Digital philosophy purports to solve certain hard problems in the philosophy of mind and the philosophy of physics, since, following Leibniz, the mind can be given a computational treatment. The digital approach also dispenses with the non-deterministic essentialism of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory. In a digital universe, existence and thought would consist of only computation. (However, not all computation would be thought.) Thus computation is the single substance of a monist metaphysics, while subjectivity arises from computational universality. There are many variants of digital philosophy, but most of them are digital theories that view all of physical reality and mental activity as digitized information processing.

smiley-face-matrix-006.gif

The answer to life, the universe and everything is wait for it................................................................................................42. Yep 42. Now for the question that needs to be asked, well we need a much bigger computer. By the way you are being observed by mice. You know, the white ones used in laboratories.

I actually do remember hearing about this. Very interesting.

The answer to life, the universe and everything is wait for it................................................................................................42. Yep 42. Now for the question that needs to be asked, well we need a much bigger computer. By the way you are being observed by mice. You know, the white ones used in laboratories.

200px-6x04-Jacob%27s_WallKwonDomingoMattingley.jpg

ANd its not mice watching us its a rabbit

"All things are artificial, for nature is the Art of God." - Sir Thomas Browne

is there still a cheat to make Lara croft naked?

Are You Living in a Simulation?

VII. CONCLUSION

A technologically mature “posthuman” civilization would have enormous computing power. Based on this empirical fact, the simulation argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage is very close to zero; (2) The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero; (3) The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one.
If (1) is true, then we will almost certainly go extinct before reaching posthumanity. If (2) is true, then there must be a strong convergence among the courses of advanced civilizations so that virtually none contains any relatively wealthy individuals who desire to run ancestor-simulations and are free to do so. If (3) is true, then we almost certainly live in a simulation. In the dark forest of our current ignorance, it seems sensible to apportion one’s credence roughly evenly between (1), (2), and (3).
Unless we are now living in a simulation, our descendants will almost certainly never run an ancestor-simulation.

This is just pie-eyed transhumanist balderdash. A "post human" stage is inevitable, as either humans will evolve into new species or go extinct. Assuming that time continues to march on past the existence of homo sapiens, post humanity is inevitable. That a "post human" society is necessarily a "singularity," or some other sort silly sci-fi futurist fantasy, is by no means inevitable, however. And the fact that an advanced civilization may run an "ancestor simulation," even if it does happen, does not entail that we are part of such a simulation. This sort of trash is just a bastardized Doomsday Argument, which is itself flawed.

Transhumanists remind me of religious fanatics. They are willing to believe the stupidest things.

This is just pie-eyed transhumanist balderdash. A "post human" stage is inevitable, as either humans will evolve into new species or go extinct. Assuming that time continues to march on past the existence of homo sapiens, post humanity is inevitable. That a "post human" society is necessarily a "singularity," or some other sort silly sci-fi futurist fantasy, is by no means inevitable, however. And the fact that an advanced civilization may run an "ancestor simulation," even if it does happen, does not entail that we are part of such a simulation. This sort of trash is just a bastardized Doomsday Argument, which is itself flawed.

Transhumanists remind me of religious fanatics. They are willing to believe the stupidest things.

I agree that the entire position is fallacious. I havent heard any real justification for the presumptions that they made. They made what they felt to be sound rationalizations and then assumed that everyone should just accept the position with no real arguments. And the common arguments against the assumptions are actually easy to assert.

And you are right our species will not exist for a infinite amount of time. Before we even get very far we will have evolved not something else just like we evolved from something else, that is if we can even last that long. Our situation here on Earth is very precarious. There are multiple scenarios that could cause our extinction. More than likely sooner or later one will happen. Or not, who knows?

At any rate why would anyone bother creating a computer simulation of such a grand scale? Sounds like conformation bias to me. Well actually I think the whole thing is a intellectual ruse. More of a jest that pokes at philosophy.

I wouldn't call it a simulation because that implies that it's not "real", but if I had to bet money on it, I would bet that we will discover that our universe at the most fundamental level is just information. There are too many weird correlations and successful predictions emerging from information physics as we develop it for it to be pure coincidence IMHO. For example, the correlation between laws regarding information and laws regarding energy (matter) - you can't destroy energy (matter), and, equivalently, we've come to learn you can't destroy information. Correlations to the laws of thermodynamics and entropy. Things like that.

Back
Top Bottom