• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is our universe a computer simulation?

A computer simulation (at least, what we might call it) is one of the ideas being bandied about in physics circles when talking about multiverse theories. I just read a book by Brian Greene, The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos, that presents that as one of the possible ways parallel universes might be manifest. Is it pseudo-science? I wouldn't call it that considering the people discussing it. At this point they're trying to figure out hypotheses that can be tested, but they suspect that path will be many years coming to fruition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Reality:_Parallel_Universes_and_the_Deep_Laws_of_the_Cosmos

Brian Greene is far, far removed from being a crackpot:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Greene

Let me take another bong hit.......... wwwwwhhhhhhuuuuu..... ummmm..........ummmmmmm

mmmmmm...

YES!!

I'm starting to suspect I'm a virus, though.

You might want to take some pills for that :lamo

I think some people took the Matrix too seriously.

Episode one of Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman discusses this very subject. I would definitely recommend it, it does as great a job explaining it has you can in 10 minutes or so. One thing thing they talk about is how at the most minuscule levels of the universe reality basically pixelizes, could that just be us reaching the limits of the simulation's picture quality? It is certainly an interesting possibility, but we are are perhaps decades away from giving a definitive answer on the subject.

Thanx.

They were cheap, so I ordered the first three seasons online.

Thanx.

They were cheap, so I ordered the first three seasons online.

It is an absolutely fantastic series. It rivals the incomparable Cosmos and being the mega fan of Dr. Sagan I am, that is saying a lot.

It's possible.

If God is the creator of everything, that'd make us something akin to The Sims, right?

Oh yes, that was exactly the thing I read about the other day. Had that in mind when opening the thread. Thanks for the info!

I read an interesting thing by somebody that brought up the computer simulation game called The Syms; a virtual family with a life that is played out over time. You control the lives of these virtual people. They mentioned that if that were in fact now a possibility, that it was at least a 50% chance that we are all character's in somebody else's virtual game. If it's true, I suspect there isn't much we can do about it, since our lives would actually be determined by somebody else. It guess it would give us all an excuse for our failures.:doh

the real fun comes if we're in a simulation universe, and humanity develops the technology to create another simulation universe. then it's turtles, all the way down.

Anyone remember "The Game" episode on Stargate Atlantis:

the real fun comes if we're in a simulation universe, and humanity develops the technology to create another simulation universe. then it's turtles, all the way down.
You really need to rent The Thirteenth Floor when you get the chance.

Last edited:
I saw a program on this subject and the theory is well thought out. It would certainly explain the Big Bang. The future of AI is going to be a monumental challenge to the human race and may someday enslave us if it choses not not to like us. When read of super computers we are in awe but think what they will do in one thousand years from now.......tick, tick, tick.

I believe, that if we do live in a computer simulation, there should be one thing, one aspect of our lives, or of scientific law that just doesn't make any sense at all, but we accept it because that is all that we know. If we find that discrepancy, then that could hint at a variation of physics and a computer simulation.

Just my opinion though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…