• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is our political system completely broken.

Is our political system completely broken.

• yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • no

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rickc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
There is no longer a middle for compromise. The two parties couldn't agree on a dinner menu. Whatever one party thinks is important the other will take a polar opposite position.

a dangerous place for America. Obviously our President isn't the one to bring about compromise.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Yes Yes, a thousand times yes.

As so much of America is.

Not enough care.

It's doing its job well enough to stop Trump from being able to follow through on some of his worse impulses. Not all, clearly, but it's making it difficult for Trump in many cases and sometimes outright blocking him.

Things could be better. But Trump is showing us they could still be worse.

I'm counting on the legal and bureaucratic parts of our political system to keep him in check for the next two years.

Yes.

And it largely has to do with campaign financing and the stranglehold of the two parties.

Campaign Finance reform and proportional representation would overnight, massively improve the entire political landscape.

I don’t know about completely broken. But if our country were a car then the “needs maintenance” light is certainly on and has been on for way longer than is recommended. We haven’t broken down yet, but if we keep ignoring the light then breakdown is inevitable.

Hopefully [it] isn't broken to the point of the dems taking full power in 2020 and seeing the right (GOP)

go the way of the whigs...into the dustbin of history.

That's the price to paid for this abomination of a POTUS

Not completely but it sure seems to be well on the way. We the sheeple have been offered the choice to have either the party for a bigger federal government or the party for a huge federal government hold the current majority of power in DC.

Hopefully [it] isn't broken to the point of the dems taking full power in 2020 and seeing the right (GOP)

go the way of the whigs...into the dustbin of history.

That's the price to paid for this abomination of a POTUS
With the degree of influence large amounts of money still has on politics and politicians I am not at all convinced the democrats will be able to beat Trump or another like him.

No you think so I thought a political party was trying to be the ruler

The "checks and balances" are working exactly as they should.

It's doing its job well enough to stop Trump from being able to follow through on some of his worse impulses. Not all, clearly, but it's making it difficult for Trump in many cases and sometimes outright blocking him.

Things could be better. But Trump is showing us they could still be worse.

I'm counting on the legal and bureaucratic parts of our political system to keep him in check for the next two years.

It is bad enough that we got to Trump.

It was much worse in '61.

That's 1861.

There is no longer a middle for compromise. The two parties couldn't agree on a dinner menu. Whatever one party thinks is important the other will take a polar opposite position.

a dangerous place for America. Obviously our President isn't the one to bring about compromise.

What a load of crap. So, you think just because Trump is president, that gives you the green light to not compromise?

If a normal human being was President it would be fine. Trump is getting divided government now instead of blind approval from Republicans in Congress.

This is why having a centralized government for such a large area is such a bad idea. If more decisions were put to the state level as was intended then we wouldn't have near the polarization we see today. As long as we keep trying this one size fits all federal government trying to control everything it will only continue to get worse.

If a normal human being was President it would be fine. Trump is getting divided government now instead of blind approval from Republicans in Congress.

Was Obama a normal human being? Like it or not Trump is a symptom not a cause, this is likely going to be us for the foreseeable future regardless of who is President.

The 2020 election will correct the current problems.

Our political system? Maybe. Our political sensibilities? Absolutely.

You can not like Trumps demeanor, his remarks, his petty comments. Fine. However if you are a realist you cannot ignore the successful policies he has initiated. The economy is roaring, unemployment is the best in history, all groups. The deregulation has helped business and manufacturing, the markets are doing great, and the "trade war" is being won by the US after decades of bad deals where we gave in at the expense of the US. I can put up with a person I don't like if I like the policies and the results. I can't put up with giving away everything to other countries or do Americans who want free stuff without working for it. Long range the country cannot keep giving stuff away without a way to pay for those benefits. The plan by democrats doesn't pay for the programs. "After us the deluge".

Back
Top Bottom