• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is our government really serious about energy savings?

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Instead of our government mandating that car manufacturers 'increase their mileage,' should our government mandate that they offer the same cars here as they do in Europe?

The base model Ford Focus gets 37 MPG in the US, which is pretty decent mileage. But it gets 59 MPG in Europe which is 60% better gas mileage. Comparing nine models side-by-side, European models get 50% better mileage in town and 61% highway.

US Gas Prices

Attachments

• Each US.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 2
No, they're not really serious about it. They make too much money off of the energy sector to really want us to be energy-wise. Why do you think they want cap and trade? It's not to make the world greener- it's to increase federal revenues.

Instead of our government mandating that car manufacturers 'increase their mileage,' should our government mandate that they offer the same cars here as they do in Europe?

The base model Ford Focus gets 37 MPG in the US, which is pretty decent mileage. But it gets 59 MPG in Europe which is 60% better gas mileage. Comparing nine models side-by-side, European models get 50% better mileage in town and 61% highway.

US Gas Prices

Yea E3 standards are already better than ours if I'm not mistaken.
I don't understand why we can't adopt them.

We could increase our foreign car imports from countries who usually don't supply us.

Yes, I think the US government is serious about energy savings. I think, they have their work cut out, with trying to get the average citizen in the US to be serious about it though.

The government is made up of people who all have different opinions about things. So the best I can say is that there are some in government who are serious about it and some that are not. Hopefully enough will become serious about it that they do more than offer some measly tax cuts and do the real work of infrastructure replacement.

Back
Top Bottom