• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Oppression The Cause of Islamic Extremism

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Rebels Launch Attacks in Southern Russia By FATIMA TLISOVA, Associated Press Writer
40 minutes ago

NALCHIK, Russia - Scores of Islamic militants launched simultaneous attacks on police and government buildings in this city in Russia's turbulent Caucasus region Thursday, sparking battles that killed at least 63 people.

Chechen rebels claimed responsibility for the attacks, which forced the evacuation of schools and left corpses littering the streets of Nalchik, the capital of the republic of Kabardino-Balkariya.

President Vladimir Putin ordered a total blockade of Nalchik, a city of 235,000, to prevent militants from slipping out, and he said armed resisters would be shot, according to Russian Deputy Interior Minister Alexander Chekalin.

The Chechen rebels' decade-long struggle against Russia, originally a separatist movement, has melded increasingly with Islamic extremism in the past decade and spread far beyond Chechnya's borders to encompass the whole turbulent Russian Caucasus region.

If the battles once shaped up between Russian troops and Chechen rebels, the picture has since grown far more complicated. Police and security forces have fought pitched battles with militants across the region, often engaging in urban warfare, and the rebels have employed terrorist methods including suicide bombings and the seizure of more than 1,000 hostages last year in a school in the town of Beslan, about 60 miles southeast of Nalchik.

The extremism is spreading despite the government's harsh anti-terrorist methods, from targeted killings of rebel leaders such as Aslan Maskhadov to the payment of rewards for information to the demolition of houses where suspected rebels have found refuge.

Estimates of the number of militants involved in Thursday's attacks ranged from 60 to 300. The attacks began with heavy arms fire and explosions, and sporadic shooting continued for four hours afterward.

Of the 63 killed, 50 were militants and at least 10 were police officers, Chekalin said. Local Health Ministry spokesman Stepan Kuskov said at least three civilians were among the dead, and 84 people were wounded. The ITAR-Tass news agency quoted a doctor at a city hospital, Asker Zhigunov, as saying 15 civilians' bodies had been brought in.

Dmitry Kozak, Putin's envoy to the southern region, said the attackers were holding hostages at a police station, but he did not specify whether they were civilians or officers. A spokeswoman for the republic's Interior Ministry, Marina Kyasova, said police on the upper floors of the building were battling attackers on the ground floor, and denied that hostages had been taken.

The strategy of launching simultaneous attacks on police facilities echoed last year's siege in another Caucasus republic, Ingushetia, in which 92 people died and police armories were looted. Basayev claimed responsibility for those attacks.

Military and police reinforcements were being sent to the city; a truckload of soldiers heading for Nalchik overturned, injuring 18 servicemen, a duty officer for regional road police said.

The Kavkaz-Center Web site, seen as a voice for rebels loyal to Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev, said it had received a message on behalf of the Caucasus Front. It said the group is part of the Chechen rebel armed forces and includes Yarmuk, an alleged militant Islamic group based in Kabardino-Balkariya.

Chekalin said Thursday's fighting began after police launched an operation to capture about 10 militants in a Nalchik suburb, and that the attacks were aimed at diverting police. All 10 suspected militants were killed, he said.

Gunmen launched simultaneous attacks against three police stations, the city's airport and the regional headquarters of the Interior Ministry and Federal Security Service, police said.

The attack at the airport was repelled, the facility was placed under military control and all flights were canceled, news reports said.

The militants also attacked the regional headquarters of the Russian prison system, the Emergency Situation Ministry's press office said. Interfax said a border guards' office also came under attack.

A teacher from School No. 5, who gave only his first name, Spartak, said children had been evacuated from the building, which is near a police station and an anti-terrorism office at the center of the attacks. Black smoke billowed from the building as panic-stricken parents searched for their children in the school yard.

Windows and doors at the local Federal Security Service office were smashed. Snipers crouched on the building's roof, and masked soldiers were in the streets, where two armored personnel carriers were parked. A crowd of bystanders stood about 100 yards from the building, with no cordon keeping spectators away.

In December, gunmen raided the Drug Control Agency branch in Nalchik, killing four employees, looting an arsenal and setting the office ablaze.

Earlier this year, Putin ordered security forces to deal more severely with suspected Islamic militants in the south. Law-enforcement agencies have launched a series of sweeps targeting suspected extremists outside Chechnya.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051013/ap_on_re_eu/russia_attack

Oppression might be one cause of it...but not from America, Russia, or Israel. The vast majority of Muslims are oppressed primarily by their OWN governments.

I think the primary cause of Islamic extremism is a culture of victimhood, ignorance, and racism. None of these societies are willing to admit that their problems stem from their own mistakes or the mistakes of their fellow Muslims, so they look for others to blame. The most obvious people to blame are the non-Muslim powers in their regions, even if they are the least oppressive toward Muslims. Muslim societies will go ballistic at any accusation against America or Israel, no matter how unfounded, and many of them gobble up conspiracy theories.

I don't know.......but Russia has been very oppressive as of late, but it's one of the very few things I agree with them on. They cannot allow another religious state to emerge, we have quite enough of those as it is, Putin has my support on that at least.

I still wonder what policy it was that caused Muslims to kidnapp and kill Americans in the late 1700's?:confused:

Islam is the cause for Islamic Oppression. Since it is there own people oppressing them by the word of islam. It would seem that islam at the moment is it's own worse enemy

I dunno about that but I think Russias attitude towards terrorists might be contributing to this.

I saw this documentary when these terrorists took over a school and the boy asked one terrorist why they were doing this and he responded "your people killied my family so we are coming here for revenge."

Now. obviously, he is not right in what he is doing but it does make you wonder doesn't it.

I personally believe though that the cause of Islamic terorism is because they are poor. I honestly believe that they are sick and tired of being poor and so they decide to dedicate themselves too a cause that is very very extreme.

FinnMacCool said:
I dunno about that but I think Russias attitude towards terrorists might be contributing to this.

I saw this documentary when these terrorists took over a school and the boy asked one terrorist why they were doing this and he responded "your people killied my family so we are coming here for revenge."

Now. obviously, he is not right in what he is doing but it does make you wonder doesn't it.

I personally believe though that the cause of Islamic terorism is because they are poor. I honestly believe that they are sick and tired of being poor and so they decide to dedicate themselves too a cause that is very very extreme.

But the people they are killing have nothing to do with being poor. There leaders are the ones that are pocketing all the wealth. Why is the uprising against other nations and not those that have put them in the position that they are in now

Calm2Chaos said:
But the people they are killing have nothing to do with being poor. There leaders are the ones that are pocketing all the wealth. Why is the uprising against other nations and not those that have put them in the position that they are in now

The Chechen terrorists that took hostages were merely following the example of the Russian government. The russian government committed terrorist acts and killed innocent Chechens, so these terrorists killed innocent russian people. The Russian government set a bad example and the terrorists made the mistake of following such an example. Two wrongs don't make a right, but the Russian government's behavior is just as inexcusable as the terrorists behavior and such behavior from individuals or governments cannot be tolerated.

my oppinion is pretty simple

all ethnics should stay in there own country that way there would be no problems

Islam certainly is not hateful in its essence—but a disproportionate number of its current adherents need to hate to avoid the agony of self-knowledge. The oil rich Arabs and dictators of the Middle East have hijacked the Islamic religion over the decades and have condemned all those Muslims that would defy their governments. And thanks to global interests in a stable Middle East, we are pledged to protect those bazaars of terror, the Gulf states, with our blood. There should be no doubt that the West has looked the other way, but the elite and the governments of the Islamic homelands are ultimately to blame for what they have done. The Middle East are prisoners of their own restrictive religion. Make no mistake, this is not the Islam of the world. What's practiced largely in the Middle East is a blasphemy.

The Arab world, rich and poor, is nearly hopeless. With a few, strategically less than important exceptions, it has given itself over to the narcotic effects of hatred and blame. Arab civilization cannot compete on a single productive front in the 21st century. And there is nothing we can do about it. If the Arab world will not repair itself, no amount of indulgence will make a difference. We have wasted decades on governments and populations who need us as an enemy to justify their profound failures.

Religious intolerance always returns in times of doubt and disorder. Fundamentalist terrorism has not arisen despite the progress the world has made, but because of it. Were it not for oil, the Middle East would have no competitive front with the world. They oil barrons have sealed their oppressed people's fate and married it to their depleting oil supply. In times of trouble, men and women cling to what they know. They seek simple answers to daunting complexities. And religious extremists around the world, in every major religion throughout history, have been delighted to provide those simple answers. It does not matter if those answers are true, so long as they shift blame from the believer’s shoulders and promise punishment to enemies, real or imagined. This is where terrorism has been bred. The basic problem is daunting: We face a failing civilization in the Middle East. So many people, especially the global left, refuse to see what is so painfully obvious. History has seen this before in every religion. It is especially dangerous in today's world where the sword has been replaced by the bomb.

But if we have the least spark of wisdom, we will do all that we can to ensure the failure does not spread from Muslim cultures that have made socioeconomic suicide pacts with themselves to Muslim lands that still might adapt to the demands of the modern and post-modern worlds.

AF125 said:
my oppinion is pretty simple

all ethnics should stay in there own country that way there would be no problems

white man is an ethnic in america too BTW
a little too late for that
America was built by ethnics

think of it like this\
if China put bases in colorado would you attack them
and fight tooth and nail to rid yourself of them

thats what the iraq people do now
that has been the sole reason that al queda exists
to rid the middle east of all invading crusaders
since the crusades and then with imperial England and now with America

pull the bases out of Isreal,Iraq,Saudi Arabia
and all terror will cease to exist
refuse and they will bring more carnage to down town USA
thats why Canda your closest of allies doesnt want to go into Iraq
Canda fights terror but will not commit terror

Last edited:
Was gonna post here but then read Gunny's post. No sense in being redundant. I'll add: When there is the free flow of information and actions are tempered by the wisdom and input of women this will end.

TimmyBoy said:
The Chechen terrorists that took hostages were merely following the example of the Russian government. The russian government committed terrorist acts and killed innocent Chechens, so these terrorists killed innocent russian people. The Russian government set a bad example and the terrorists made the mistake of following such an example. Two wrongs don't make a right, but the Russian government's behavior is just as inexcusable as the terrorists behavior and such behavior from individuals or governments cannot be tolerated.

The only reaction should be to kill those that took the hostage. You can never under any circumstances negotiate, barter or apease with a terorrist or a hostage taker.

teacher said:
Was gonna post here but then read Gunny's post. No sense in being redundant.
Ditto. GySgt's post is as eloquent as it is factual. He is indeed a wise individual.

Back
Top Bottom