• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is obama unting or dividing America.

Is obama uniting America

• Obama id dividing America

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Obama is uniting America

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Said quote requires significant assumptions to suggest he's labeling "half of america" as that...similar type of assumptions people use to suggest that George Bush stated that anyone who disagreed with his stance on the War on Terror was "against [america]". Similarly, suggesting that "half of america's" views on things are "much that isn't so" is hardly a grant instance of united as opposed to insulting either.

Obama's quote was directed against Americans who disagree with his stance on AGW an the term "flat earth society" can be considered nothing other than an insulting derogatory term. Bush's " with us or against us" quote was directed at other nations and even then did no name calling. Care to try again or was that your best shot?

If you do not want your beliefs ridiculed, then you should have less ridiculous beliefs. But hey, if the shoe fits...

The first fifteen that labeled a whole bunch "slaves". And then all the ones that labeled women "chattel", and then "unfit to vote", and every one until the 1970s, who labeled them "required by law to submit sexually to their husbands". And then all the presidents between Lincoln and JLB who labeled blacks "separate but equal", and the ones who still label them "lazy welfare abusers". And all the presidents before Obama who labeled gays as "unable to marry" and "abominations".

Criticizing you for your demonstrably false and harmful positions is not derogatory.

Sorry, not worth responding to.:roll: I will say one thing though, Romney was arguably defeated due to his "takers" quote which is on par with the "flat earth society " quote.

Obama's quote was directed against Americans who disagree with his stance on AGW an the term "flat earth society" can be considered nothing other than an insulting derogatory term. Bush's " with us or against us" quote was directed at other nations and even then did no name calling. Care to try again or was that your best shot?

Awwwwwwww YOU POOR THING!

Is Obama calling you names?

Don't worry Sawyer.

Have some hot apple cider and get yourself to bed.

I'll call your teacher tomorrow and we'll put an end to this bullying.

That added to the conversation.:roll:

If you want to continue to deny science, you'll get **** for it.

That simple.

Sawyer you need to face the fact you are science illiterate and you are your little extremist right wing buddies do not possess some superior intellect which has allowed you to uncover a massive conspiracy by every person who believes in man made climate change to control your life.

If you want to continue to deny science, you'll get **** for it.

That simple.

Sawyer you need to face the fact you are science illiterate and you are your little extremist right wing buddies do not possess some superior intellect which has allowed you to uncover a massive conspiracy by every person who believes in man made climate change to control your life.

That added to the conversation.:roll:

Can you give me some examples of other presidents that have labeled half of America with a derogatory term such as "flat earth society"?
-----------------

Not really.
However, I remember in the run-up to the 2006 mid-terms, GW opining that "if the Dems prevail, the terrorists win and America loses"
I would say that's a little "divisive".
How about you?

Last edited:
Here is what he said to get elected.

MANCHESTER, N.H., Aug. 14 -- Drawing a sharp contrast with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, his main rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sen. Barack Obama said in an interview that he has the capacity she may lack to unify the country and move it out of what he called "ideological gridlock." "I think it is fair to say that I believe I can bring the country together more effectively than she can," Obama said. "I will add, by the way, that is not entirely a problem of her making. Some of those battles in the '90s that she went through were the result of some pretty unfair attacks on the Clintons. But that history exists, and so, yes, I believe I can bring the country together in a way she cannot do. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be running."

Here is what he says now.

"The question is not whether we need to act. The overwhelming judgment of science, of chemistry and physics and millions of measurements, has put all that to rest,” Obama said in a major policy address at Georgetown University. “So the question now is whether we will have the courage to act before it's too late.” He later added, addressing those who deny climate change science: “We don’t have time for a meeting of the flat-earth society.”

So you tell me, uniter or divider.

I'm not a big Obama fan, but I voted Uniter. I'm for Obamacare and he got that rolling. I believe Global Warming is a larger threat than terrorism, so I applaud his oratorical concerns here , but would prefer some real legislative or policy action. He's been a real mutt, but must be consistently compared to his predecessor so he comes off looking good, and he is an exponential improvement. The NSA brouhaha dividing us at this time should have been more thoroughly investigated when the Patriot Act was passed. Where did the instant 1100 page Act come from overnight. There is an agenda afoot that has been ignored. I hope the NSA pimple comes to a boiling head and is excised like a carbuncle. That is the divide I seek.

Here is what he said to get elected.

MANCHESTER, N.H., Aug. 14 -- Drawing a sharp contrast with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, his main rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sen. Barack Obama said in an interview that he has the capacity she may lack to unify the country and move it out of what he called "ideological gridlock." "I think it is fair to say that I believe I can bring the country together more effectively than she can," Obama said. "I will add, by the way, that is not entirely a problem of her making. Some of those battles in the '90s that she went through were the result of some pretty unfair attacks on the Clintons. But that history exists, and so, yes, I believe I can bring the country together in a way she cannot do. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be running."

Here is what he says now.

"The question is not whether we need to act. The overwhelming judgment of science, of chemistry and physics and millions of measurements, has put all that to rest,” Obama said in a major policy address at Georgetown University. “So the question now is whether we will have the courage to act before it's too late.” He later added, addressing those who deny climate change science: “We don’t have time for a meeting of the flat-earth society.”

So you tell me, uniter or divider.

He may just be uniting all of us against the god damned government.

-----------------

Not really.
However, I remember in the run-up to the 2006 mid-terms, GW opining that "if the Dems prevail, the terrorists win and America loses"
I would say that's a little "divisive".
How about you?

Typical campaign rhetoric on Bush's part. Obama is president and he ran as a uniter, so much for that.

I don't think this country has been this divided since around the Civil War era.... Hope and change, my A**.

I'm not a big Obama fan, but I voted Uniter. I'm for Obamacare and he got that rolling. I believe Global Warming is a larger threat than terrorism, so I applaud his oratorical concerns here , but would prefer some real legislative or policy action. He's been a real mutt, but must be consistently compared to his predecessor so he comes off looking good, and he is an exponential improvement. The NSA brouhaha dividing us at this time should have been more thoroughly investigated when the Patriot Act was passed. Where did the instant 1100 page Act come from overnight. There is an agenda afoot that has been ignored. I hope the NSA pimple comes to a boiling head and is excised like a carbuncle. That is the divide I seek.
Yep...he has definitely stepped it up...
He has sat around for over 4 years and only finally gave a speech on Global Warming after being soundly thrashed on his inaction. He did nothing on the gay marriage issue not even taking a stand until the gay community came out and told him no support til you support. As for that cpomparison to Bush...along with the increased expansion of domestic spying he has killed 3 times as many in the ME via drone strikes...I know how much you love that...
Strikes under the Bush Administration: 52
Strikes under the Obama Administration: 314

Uniter? Because he acted on a few pieces of legislation you approve of? Legislation that those that voted for admit dont have the first clue what is in it and as more facts come out more Americans disapprove of as well? Thats 'uniting'...pandering to his base?

Yep...he has definitely stepped it up...
He has sat around for over 4 years and only finally gave a speech on Global Warming after being soundly thrashed on his inaction. He did nothing on the gay marriage issue not even taking a stand until the gay community came out and told him no support til you support. As for that cpomparison to Bush...along with the increased expansion of domestic spying he has killed 3 times as many in the ME via drone strikes...I know how much you love that...
Strikes under the Bush Administration: 52
Strikes under the Obama Administration: 314

Uniter? Because he acted on a few pieces of legislation you approve of? Legislation that those that voted for admit dont have the first clue what is in it and as more facts come out more Americans disapprove of as well? Thats 'uniting'...pandering to his base?

Obamacare and Global Warming that help the larger base of populace, not particular segments like "Citizens United."

Obamacare and Global Warming that help the larger base of populace, not particular segments like "Citizens United."

So you believe that govt. is our friend and here to help??

The NSA (read: National SNOOPING Agency), drone strikes, the NDAA, mandatory TSA screenings at airports - sounds like govt. is our friend to me.... :roll:

The "larger base of populace" that you speak of are nothing more than freeloaders whom don't want to work. OFF the tax dollars of the "evil" rich people - as the dems would say....

But here is the kicker:

With all this UNCONSTITUTIONAL gun control legislation lately (initiated by Obama and his clones), no law abiding gun owner will be able to keep his/her guns anymore.

The libs want to arm govt., while taking away the guns of law abiding citizens - why do you think that is?

GOVT. wants to arm themselves, while taking away me own guns - and screw the govt. That's where me and others like me are coming from....

If he's not a divider, then I'm Lincoln's ghost.

So you believe that govt. is our friend and here to help??

The NSA (read: National SNOOPING Agency), drone strikes, the NDAA, mandatory TSA screenings at airports - sounds like govt. is our friend to me.... :roll:

The "larger base of populace" that you speak of are nothing more than freeloaders whom don't want to work. OFF the tax dollars of the "evil" rich people - as the dems would say....

But here is the kicker:

With all this UNCONSTITUTIONAL gun control legislation lately (initiated by Obama and his clones), no law abiding gun owner will be able to keep his/her guns anymore.

The libs want to arm govt., while taking away the guns of law abiding citizens - why do you think that is?

GOVT. wants to arm themselves, while taking away me own guns - and screw the govt. That's where me and others like me are coming from....

If he's not a divider, then I'm Lincoln's ghost.

If I were you, I'd stop listening to my radio and shut off all the TVs and go looking for the real world.

If I were you, I'd stop listening to my radio and shut off all the TVs and go looking for the real world.

In a rather strange way, I actually hear what you're saying......

I'm starting with this site - me posting here is not doing any good, anyway.....

Hey CaptainCourtesy, if I say this site is full of moonbats and kooks, is that acceptable?

These are facts...you can't debate them.
And you're completely off the base with what Bush said--that was completely polarizing

These are facts...you can't debate them.
And you're completely off the base with what Bush said--that was completely polarizing

Facts? I'll bite. Where is this flat earth society? How do I join? Is there a secret hand shake? Do we get to wear funny hats? :lol:

Most dem congressmen feel he was absentee while they passed 'Obamacare' and hi inaction on anything 'Global Warming' is obvious. Essentially...you hate Gerorge Bush...and Obama doesnt even have the balls to BE George Bush.

Most dem congressmen feel he was absentee while they passed 'Obamacare' and hi inaction on anything 'Global Warming' is obvious. Essentially...you hate Gerorge Bush...and Obama doesnt even have the balls to BE George Bush.

I don't hate GWBush, the first torturer, the first renditioner, the first liar, the first,warmonger, but I find his actions despicable, un-American, unpatriotic, and unpalatable. Other than that he weighed about the same as three and a half fifity pound bags of dog turds, and stood near level to an Elephant's butthole.

I don't hate GWBush, the first torturer, the first renditioner, the first liar, the first,warmonger, but I find his actions despicable, un-American, unpatriotic, and unpalatable. Other than that he weighed about the same as three and a half fifity pound bags of dog turds, and stood near level to an Elephant's butthole.
:lamo SURE you dont..and the guy that replaced him is just as bad and doesnt even have the ability to at least be 'original'....

Typical campaign rhetoric on Bush's part. Obama is president and he ran as a uniter, so much for that.

-----------------
Maybe so......but I don't think Obama ever compared the GOP to jihadists.
--------------------

Obama is president and he ran as a uniter, so much for that
-----------------
Pfftt.....GW was the prez, not running for re-election, when he compared the dems to terrorists.
GWB had also campaigned as a "uniter not a divider" LOL

This country is divided and politicians from both parties contribute to the divide.
You're just to partisan to acknowledge this fact.

PS: I like your sig.

---------------

Gee, Dave.......I feel like your holding something back....tell us how you really feel.

-----------------
Maybe so......but I don't think Obama ever compared the GOP to jihadists.
--------------------

Obama is president and he ran as a uniter, so much for that
-----------------
Pfftt.....GW was the prez, not running for re-election, when he compared the dems to terrorists.
GWB had also campaigned as a "uniter not a divider" LOL

This country is divided and politicians from both parties contribute to the divide.
You're just to partisan to acknowledge this fact.

PS: I like your sig.

So your defense of Obama is that he is no worse than Bush?

Sig is from a country song, I can't take credit.

So your defense of Obama is that he is no worse than Bush?

Sig is from a country song, I can't take credit.
--------------

I'm not defending the Prez, ALL pols contribute to the divide.
On the other hand, you think Obama's blather is divisive.
Why is Obama's rhetoric worse than GW's ?

Back
Top Bottom