• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is obama unting or dividing America.

Is obama uniting America

• Obama id dividing America

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Obama is uniting America

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
Here is what he said to get elected.

MANCHESTER, N.H., Aug. 14 -- Drawing a sharp contrast with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, his main rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sen. Barack Obama said in an interview that he has the capacity she may lack to unify the country and move it out of what he called "ideological gridlock." "I think it is fair to say that I believe I can bring the country together more effectively than she can," Obama said. "I will add, by the way, that is not entirely a problem of her making. Some of those battles in the '90s that she went through were the result of some pretty unfair attacks on the Clintons. But that history exists, and so, yes, I believe I can bring the country together in a way she cannot do. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be running."

Here is what he says now.

"The question is not whether we need to act. The overwhelming judgment of science, of chemistry and physics and millions of measurements, has put all that to rest,” Obama said in a major policy address at Georgetown University. “So the question now is whether we will have the courage to act before it's too late.” He later added, addressing those who deny climate change science: “We don’t have time for a meeting of the flat-earth society.”

So you tell me, uniter or divider.

I don't think he is doing either. He is largely relegated to being administrator in chief. I don't see him as having the political power or influence to unite or divide. All he does is try to create photo ops for the mythology that will follow his Presidency.

I think he's tried. Nearly all of the polarization we've seen since his election is actually a result of the highly skilled propagandists in the conservative media who work full time to divide America then blame him for it. And people actually fall for it, something I think is one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed.

I think he's tried. Nearly all of the polarization we've seen since his election is actually a result of the highly skilled propagandists in the conservative media who work full time to divide America then blame him for it. And people actually fall for it, something I think is one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed.

Odd theory considering that the vast majority of the media is not conservative. What is overlooked by many is that all of our congress critters (in both parties) are not ever talking about changing priorities, as in stop that and do this instead, but simply trying to add more things to the role of the federal gov't. This obviously is not under the direct control of the POTUS but the recent (last decade) 25% increase in federal spending relative to GDP indicates that problems are not due to too little federal spending.

U.S. Fed Govt Budget as % of GDP Over Time - Supporting Evidence

Well, there is no option there that I could use. Obama is neither uniting or dividing the USA. Partisan politics is what is dividing the USA, Obama is part of that but not the main factor, Republicans have just as big a role (if not bigger) by their refusal to even think about ending their obstructive partisan war on the American people.

Tune in to am radio for a half hour, and take in all the demagoguery about liberals being the enemies of America.

That is dividing America.

Odd theory considering that the vast majority of the media is not conservative. What is overlooked by many is that all of our congress critters (in both parties) are not ever talking about changing priorities, as in stop that and do this instead, but simply trying to add more things to the role of the federal gov't. This obviously is not under the direct control of the POTUS but the recent (last decade) 25% increase in federal spending relative to GDP indicates that problems are not due to too little federal spending.

Your comment about spending vs GDP ignores the lag in GDP growth caused by the last recession not to mention the poor growth during the 8 years of Bush. Sadly our population growth and resulting spending needs are not determined by GDP. That and the baby boomers retiring have contributed to the higher % you equate to "big spending".

in an environment this politically charged, no president has much of a chance to unite. i think both Bush and Obama tried, as did Clinton. eventually, though, it got so ugly that they basically said **** this. pretty much the only hope for uniting the country is uniting partisans on both sides in opposition of the sitting president. that happened under Bush in the second term, and the same is beginning to happen to Obama.

Tune in to am radio for a half hour, and take in all the demagoguery about liberals being the enemies of America.

That is dividing America.

Well, discussing how to avoid the creation of more states like liberal/progressive California is bound to divide those who need a nanny state to survive, from those who are required to supply the means for it to exist.

Well Americans seem to do a very good job at dividing themselves into things called states.

Well, there is no option there that I could use. Obama is neither uniting or dividing the USA. Partisan politics is what is dividing the USA, Obama is part of that but not the main factor, Republicans have just as big a role (if not bigger) by their refusal to even think about ending their obstructive partisan war on the American people.

I agree. Partisan politics is dividing us, and Obama is a product of that division. He is not, however, responsible for it.

Well, discussing how to avoid the creation of more states like liberal/progressive California is bound to divide those who need a nanny state to survive, from those who are required to supply the means for it to exist.

And since your main concern is how those states would vote you're just part of that problem.

And since your main concern is how those states would vote you're just part of that problem.

If trying to get people excited about a bi-weekly paycheck, rather than a monthly stipend from the Great Nanny is considered a problem, well then, yes, I am part of the problem.

Proudly.

Should the U.S. go back to the Free State/Slave State system? You have to negotiate whether your new state will new Liberal or Conservative and create compromises.

Should the U.S. go back to the Free State/Slave State system? You have to negotiate whether your new state will new Liberal or Conservative and create compromises.

Hmmm.

Well, I'm not sure about the "go back" part. I think avoiding the creation of more slave states like California would be a good idea.

If trying to get people excited about a bi-weekly paycheck, rather than a monthly stipend from the Great Nanny is considered a problem, well then, yes, I am part of the problem.

Proudly.

The problem is that you're more concerned with if it's a blue state or a red state.

Well that wouldn't divide us at all...:roll:

This illustrates my point exactly.

The problem is that you're more concerned with if it's a blue state or a red state.

No, that's your assumption based on your bias.

For example, I'm concerned with unemployment rates, deficits, tax rates, and the number of people on the public dole.

With only 12% or so of the nations population, California carries over 30% of the nations public assistance cases. I'd suggest that by itself is a serious problem.

Red or Blue is not the issue.

Not being conservative and using one's platform to create division and animosity are not the same thing. The conservative pundits employ an entirely different approach to their reporting than the mainstream media; an approach that is decidedly and directly anti-Obama, divisive and antagonistic...and it works with their audience!

I don't think he is doing either. He is largely relegated to being administrator in chief. I don't see him as having the political power or influence to unite or divide. All he does is try to create photo ops for the mythology that will follow his Presidency.

Calling half of America the "flat earth society" is not dividing?

Not being conservative and using one's platform to create division and animosity are not the same thing. The conservative pundits employ an entirely different approach to their reporting than the mainstream media; an approach that is decidedly and directly anti-Obama, divisive and antagonistic...and it works with their audience!

Are you asserting that the majority of America is their audience?

It is interesting to claim that others are divisive and antagonistic when Obama openly refers to those that dare disagree with him as his "enemies" when he won't even use the term "enemies" in referring to the Taliban.

Obama: I shouldn't have used the word 'enemies'

Back
Top Bottom