• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Obama the worse President we had?

Is Obama the worse President we had?

1) How can a six word question be so poorly constructed?

2) No. That distinction belongs the current corrupt poseur in the White House.

The OP's phrasing of the question complements the intelligence of his answer.

There have been eleven recessions since World War II, each of which was followed by a recovery. Even Obama experienced an economic recovery… it just happens to be the worst one.

All jobs lost in post-World War II recessions were recovered after about twenty-five months on average. But, it took seventy-seven months for employment to return to pre-recession levels, making Obama’s recovery the slowest recovery of them all—and by a wide margin. Obama is also the only president in U.S. history to have never had a single year of 3.0 percent or greater GDP growth.

The great recession was only second to the great depression, therefore it only stands to reason that the recovery would be the second slowest in history.

If not for Obama it would have been a depression and the recovery would have been the longest in history.

The recovery was slow because that is how it needed to be. A very quick recovery would have created a bubble and after it popped we would have another recession, which is where we are heading now.

If trump cared about a.erica he would have tapped the brakes on the recovery, however the only people that benefit from a recession are the very wealthy so we are in a deliberate bubble that is about to pop.
Farmers will be affected first, then the dominoes will start to fall...

I would rank Obama with Bush...primarily because they both inherited a job with an incompetent Congress. When examining Obama's presidency you have to view it in the lens of one that had to operate almost entirely on executive orders. Thats not how this works...its not how any of it works. For that matter, Trump is dealing with a similar problem.

The worst president in my life time remains Jimmy Carter. History suggests that Harding was the worst. Totally incompetent, uncaring, disengaged. He won a popularity contest and treated the presidency like it was a pageant after party.

:lamo

The list goes on, huh?

Please, elaborate. Let's take a serious look at this "list" of yours, so that we can see what's in your mind, shall we?

Obama is rightly considered among the top quartile of all American presidents. He's a borderline top 10 POTUS, based on the merits.

No one takes seriously the rantings of the anti-Obama haters.

"Worst president ever"????

Have you ever read any American history? Ever heard of presidents like Buchanan, Pierce, Fillmore, Harding or Andrew Johnson? Or, for that matter, George W. Bush?

Hell, Trump is destined to beat them all in the race for "worst POTUS ever". Is that going to hurt your feelings?

I'm curious to how you come to this conclusion.

It takes a considerable amount of time to really judge a President's accomplishments and in Obama's particular case because he was largely unable secure his policies through the legislative process much of his accomplishments will be rolled back as Trump has pretty much made that the goal of his presidency. Really the only legacy Obama will have is the ACA and being the only 2 term President in US history to have waged war throughout his tenure.

The largest deficits in history, the worst economic recovery, purging Gitmo. The list goes on
Suure it does.

• Obama's deficits were mostly the result of Bush 43, who took a surplus and flushed it down the tubes, by cutting taxes while waging two wars, plus creating Medicare Part D. Another factor was that Obama came into office in the worst economic downturn in 70 years, which both reduced revenues and necessitated some large expenditures.

• The "worst recovery" is from the worst downturn since the Great Depression. It's also wound up being the longest expansion in US history, with unemployment getting back to normal by the time Obama left office, manufacturing employment bouncing back a bit, and LFPR stabilizing years before he left office.

• Sadly, Obama did not "purge Gitmo." If anything, it's a failure that he could not shut it down.

Obama made many mistakes, such as failing to nail Syria for using chemical weapons, and failing to address the ordinary homeowners who were screwed over by the banks. He also did a lot of things right. The ACA extended health insurance to millions, reversing a decades-long slide in the number of the insured. He negotiated the TPP, which was designed to contain China. (He also hit China with huge tariffs on steel -- oh yeah -- though IMO that was also a failure, because those types of techniques do not work.) He rebuilt our allies' trust in us. He presided over the creation of the Consumer Protection Bureau. He was able to raise taxes on the wealthy without the economy imploding. (In contrast, Sam Brownback slashed state corporate taxes, and as a result destroyed Kansas' financial health.) He presided over the assassination of Osama Bin Laden (something Bush 43 failed at), and severely weakened Al Qaeda and Dahesh during his term.

The list goes on.

So, I'd say that overall he was a decent president. There was certainly room for improvement, but overall not too shabby at all.

Race relations deteriorated under Obama. He only served blacks that paid him.

Our country has become a lot less safe. He did nothing about our borders or illegal immigration.

Obama served himself first, and everyone else second. He didn't even care about his party. The guy claimed he was an uniter, he destroyed his party and only emboldened the Republican party. So Obama deserves thanks for uniting the Republicans.

:lamo

Until I read this, I'd forgotten who you are...and your peculiar "issues".

Thanks for reminding me. I was almost ready to take you seriously, but now I remember you. LOL

The largest deficits in history, the worst economic recovery, purging Gitmo. The list goes on

Do you agree that Obama is not responsible for the economic catastrophe that happened before he became president? Do you agree he's not responsible for the tax cuts and two wars that happened before he was president?

Obama inherited deficits and the worst economy since the Great Depression. But by the time he left office we had the lowest unemployment rate in 10 years and the longest streak of job creation in American history.

Now, was the recovery slow? Let's compare Obama to the great Ronald Reagan....

obama-and-reagan-unemployment-chart.png

141205134750-comparing-obama-unemployment-1024x576.png

The U.S. Job Market Is On A Historic Growth Streak

How can you argue that the president who presided over the longest streak of job growth is the worst president ever?

Numbers don't lie.

Last edited:
I'm curious to how you come to this conclusion.

Historians and political scientists do these things for a living. There have been several academic analyses by historians during, and after, Obama's tenure in the Oval Office.

Most presidential rankings by historians (which include conservative historians as well) rank Obama solidly in the first quartile of all presidents.

Here is the most recent survey from the American Political Science Association's Presidential and Executive Politics section:
https://sps.boisestate.edu/politicalscience/files/2018/02/Greatness.pdf

It takes a considerable amount of time to really judge a President's accomplishments and in Obama's particular case because he was largely unable secure his policies through the legislative process much of his accomplishments will be rolled back as Trump has pretty much made that the goal of his presidency. Really the only legacy Obama will have is the ACA and being the only 2 term President in US history to have waged war throughout his tenure.

1. It's true that evaluations change over time as things like perspective and legacy evolve. That's nothing new. In the most recent rankings, for example, Reagan's standing has improved, while Clinton's has gone down.

2. Obama's enduring legacy will be that he saved the US (and the world's) economy. That's first and foremost. Beyond that, he restored American trust and prestige with our western allies, in the wake of the disastrous W regime.

As an aside to your remarks, probably the most ridiculous (and transparent) criticism of Obama's legacy is the whole "race relations" canard that ONLY comes from right wingers who hated him for who he was (and is), and what he represents. Obama didn't do anything to hurt "race relations".....other than exist. His was a presidency of class and dignity. He will go down as the ONLY president to serve 2 full terms without even ONE legitimate scandal of corruption or ethics.

So clearly, it was his very existence that sent many white conservatives over the edge.

Last edited:

I will say in my lifetime but I’m sure some Trumpsters will go all the way back to our first president to defend him.

I think Trump is working on being the worst president we've had, lol.

In many ways he was. If we literally had a rock sitting in the oval office, we would have had a better recovery. Literally, if we had done nothing instead of Obama's gimmick economic policies we would have saw more growth.

At least Bill Clinton understood the economy. Obama was clueless.

"We would have saw". Another wordsmith on the Right. The economy FDR inherited in 1933 was worse than what greeted Obama. You won't find another that comes close. Economists give Obama and his appointees much credit for stemming the crisis and getting the economy restarted, but posts like the OP's are what you get from the bubble crowd.

I will say in my lifetime but I’m sure some Trumpsters will go all the way back to our first president to defend him.

Has G.W. Bush been written out of Republican history?

When G.W. Bush left office we have two wars, exploding deficits and the greatest economic disaster since the Great Recession.

When Obama left office we had the longest streak of job creation in history.

At what point is your opinion just irrational?

but posts like the OP's are what you get from the bubble crowd.

I think it's more than a bubble. I think they are genuinely poorly educated.

The divide in education was the biggest factor in the election of Donald Trump. Think abouit it, 70% of people with post-graduate degrees voted against Trump. That's 70%!

Trump excited the poorly educated using poor arguments that they cannot recognize as fallacious. The Republicans who do recognize these arguments as fallacious were happy to be accomplices in the deception because it paved a road to victory.

Has G.W. Bush been written out of Republican history?

When G.W. Bush left office we have two wars, exploding deficits and the greatest economic disaster since the Great Recession.

When Obama left office we had the longest streak of job creation in history.

At what point is your opinion just irrational?

In my opinion Trump is the worst. I personally cannot even bring myself to call him president. For the first time I have no respect for a president of the US.

In my opinion Trump is the worst. I personally cannot even bring myself to call him president. For the first time I have no respect for a president of the US.

Apologies, I thought you mean that Obama was the worst president in your lifetime.

Obama was not only the worst he was a traitor. He sympothysed with the enemy. He stood by while women and children were poisoned by the hatchet man in Syria, after he had crossed Obama’s fake red line. Weakest potus ever on foreign policy. He crafted a astupid nuclear deal with a country who’s leaders chant “death to America”, and then sent them a pallet load of cash to buy their agreement. Lol

Race relations in this country deteriorated. He stood against the rule of law by taking sides every time there was a questionable event involving blacks and police officers. Instead of of being a healer in chief, he was a divider in chief. He did not handle any of those well. IMO

His job killing regulations were a disaster for the recovery and growth of our economy.

And worst of all for all you liberals he he appointed queen Hilary SOS after she agreed to drop out of the 2008 election, and worked to make sure she would be the dem front runner in 2016. A colossal mistake, that is if your a lefty. Lol

So in my mind, yes he will considered one of the worst.

Short and right on the money. The list you are referring to is too long to post. This dude should of never been elected into power,twice.
-obamascare
-same sex marriage crap.
I'm stopping there.

Instead of of being a healer in chief, he was a divider in chief. He did not handle any of those well. IMO

Regarding the NFL issue, you say he took the side of Blacks. Let's look at Obama vs Trump on the NFL issue....

This is Obama trying to bring both sides together...

This is Trump dividing Amerca for his political advantage...

Am I just making up the idea that Trump used the issue and divided Americans for his own political advantage? No, Trump himself admitted this.

On Wednesday, Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal provided sworn testimony Jones made about his conversation with Trump during a deposition for the collusion case involving former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

"This is a very winning, strong issue for me," Jones said he was told by Trump. "Tell everybody, you can't win this one. This one lifts me."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...told-me-you-cant-win-on-anthem-protests-issue

I just focused on one of your many claims. Your claims have nothing to do with reality.

I think it's more than a bubble. I think they are genuinely poorly educated.

The divide in education was the biggest factor in the election of Donald Trump. Think abouit it, 70% of people with post-graduate degrees voted against Trump. That's 70%!

Trump excited the poorly educated using poor arguments that they cannot recognize as fallacious. The Republicans who do recognize these arguments as fallacious were happy to be accomplices in the deception because it paved a road to victory.

This is very true.

Trump used (and continues to use) social and cultural fear and anxiety to appeal to unsophisticated and/or poorly educated white voters who still reside in overwhelmingly white communities across the country: suburban, exurban and rural white voters.

It's been shown in study after study...and documented in one news report after the next (none of which ever make it onto the airwaves or FoxNews, nor onto the spaces of Breitbart, etc.)...that Trump voters score highest (higher even than conservatives who oppose Trump) in questions aimed at measuring racial/religious/cultural fear and anxiety. The myth that has been promoted is that Trump voters supported him for reasons related to jobs and the economy. That's NEVER been true, as study after study has proven.

https://www.prri.org/research/white-working-class-attitudes-economy-trade-immigration-election-donald-trump/
Status threat, not economic hardship, explains the 2016 presidential vote | PNAS
More 'warmth' for Trump among GOP voters concerned by immigrants, diversity | Pew Research Center
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/06/racial-anxiety-is-a-huge-driver-of-support-for-donald-trump-two-new-studies-find/?utm_term=.64c89e9ecd9a
https://www.vox.com/2016/6/2/11833548/donald-trump-support-race-religion-economy

The sooner we stop believing in the popular myths created about the Trump voter, the quicker we can rid ourselves of them as political players on the national stage.

BO is on par with LBJ and Wilson.

Back
Top Bottom