• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Obama the last Black POTUS we'll see in our lifetime?

Exactly...there's a lot of up and comers in the Republican Party as well that are non-white. Congress and the Executive Branch are actually starting to look like America not Augusta National Golf Club.

Given we are a nation of immigrants, this is a great thing. I am looking forward to the next American Indian president as well! :peace

I'm not saying white voters don't matter, I'm saying that who wins the white vote doesn't determine who becomes President. Romney won a large % of white votes. A large portion of whites still voted for Obama, but the Obama electorate is a coalition of different groups while the Romney voting base was white voters.

If this was 1970 and he won that percentage of white voters he would of sweeped the country. This country is changing and the color of the skin of future presidents will reflect that. I think the idea he's the last black President during my life time is ridiculous.

I dont know how old you are...but I believe hes the last black president in my lifetime...

I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't say for sure. But how is anything he did different than Bush...and no one was saying Bush would be the last white POTUS we'll see in our lifetimes. So maybe let's keep the stupid to a minimum.

If you think there's little difference between Bush and Obama you haven't been paying attention OR the differences you'd applaud have yet to be made. If that's the case the question should be to you, 'what differences would you have expected there to be between Obama and Bush?'

If you think there's little difference between Bush and Obama you haven't been paying attention OR the differences you'd applaud have yet to be made. If that's the case the question should be to you, 'what differences would you have expected there to be between Obama and Bush?'

I didn't expect there to be any. I said that Obama would be almost exactly like Bush before the first election in 2008.

Many Whites DID vote for him because he is Black. Affirmative action at work. White guilt at work. Giving the Black candidate the benefit of the doubt. Wanting to prove to their friends and loved ones they are more LIBERAL minded than the GOP supporters. Tired of having to defend themselves against angry Blacks playing the race card. Believing that a Black POTUS would help make US less vulnerable to terrorist attack. Wanting to be among the cool crowd who voted for the cool Black candidate. Wanting to be able to say they vited for the first Black POTUS.

Re-examine your assertions, please.

This presumes he was elected because of his race and therefore symbolizes what a black President represents. This on top of thinking America thinks he's a failure as POTUS. No offense intended but IMHO some people just don't get it.

As far as race goes, Obama's election to the Whitehouse does not mean America wanted to try a black guy. What it means is most people don't care what race a person is any longer. Of course, most people doesn't mean everyone but enough to get someone elected, 50% plus 1 and its growing. Actually more than that because there were obviously many who don't care what race he is but voted against him for other reasons.

The generation who grew up in a segregated America is being replaced with a generation who did not. When I say segregated, I don't mean just statutory segregation that ended in the mid 60s but cultural segregation that went on longer. This generation sat next to each other in class. Some of the smart kids were black, some of the kids who needed extra help were not black. They listened to and enjoyed music from all races. Their favorite TV shows and movies starred black and white actors. Their favorite teacher might have been black or might have been white. They watched the news and saw anchors and reporters of all races. When they got jobs their co-workers were of all races and sometimes so was their boss. If they joined the military their fellow servicemen were of all races and so was their Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Their neighbors were of all races. Their police officers were of all races. Their favorite sports teams were made up of all races. Then the election 2008 came, a black person was on the ballot who inspired people and guess what? People were so use to living in a society where blacks and whites lived together they honestly didn't care that he was black except to think for a minute that history is about to be made. Four years later he's reelected and again the only factor race is playing is a lot of black and Hispanic voters are fired up because they see what looks to them like deliberate efforts are being made by one of the parties to keep them from voting and/or resent feeling persecuted for their ethnicity in some states by a party that doesn't want to see them as equally American.

So to answer the question of whether we'll see another black POTUS in our lifetime, I don't know. It depends on who runs. I'd compare that question to will we see another blonde POTUS or Californian POTUS or balding POTUS or...

I didn't expect there to be any. I said that Obama would be almost exactly like Bush before the first election in 2008.

Oh, so you haven't been paying attention?

Oh, so you haven't been paying attention?

I pay too much attention. Big war, big spending, big deficit, big government, big brother tactics were the hallmark of Bush and Obama. And there would have been no difference if Romney was elected either. Peas in a pod.

Many Whites DID vote for him because he is Black. Affirmative action at work. White guilt at work. Giving the Black candidate the benefit of the doubt. Wanting to prove to their friends and loved ones they are more LIBERAL minded than the GOP supporters. Tired of having to defend themselves against angry Blacks playing the race card. Believing that a Black POTUS would help make US less vulnerable to terrorist attack. Wanting to be among the cool crowd who voted for the cool Black candidate. Wanting to be able to say they vited for the first Black POTUS.

Re-examine your assertions, please.

I don't think that there was a significant enough number of those people though. I think the fact that he was a Democrat in a strong Democratic cycle and a moderately Democratic cycle was far more important. Democratic candidates for Senate and House outperformed Republican candidates nationally in both 2008 and 2012.

Let's look at what the maths say:

Average # years served by a US President in 2016: 5.45
US median Age: 35.4
Median life expectancy of 35.4 year old, 50 years.
Expected Number of additional presidents for a Median American: 8.44.
Est % Black of population over 35. (10%)

Put it together, if the President's ethnicity was completely random, the median American would have about a 58% chance of seeing another black president in their lifetime.

Let's look at what the maths say:

Average # years served by a US President in 2016: 5.45
US median Age: 35.4
Median life expectancy of 35.4 year old, 50 years.
Expected Number of additional presidents for a Median American: 8.44.
Est % Black of population over 35. (10%)

Put it together, if the President's ethnicity was completely random, the median American would have about a 58% chance of seeing another black president in their lifetime.

Math nerd to the rescue!

Depends on how old you are. Those of us who are very young will likely see more.

I agree.. who cares about skin color.. I only care about whats in their heart and if they can do the job and protect the USA

The bulk of conservative voters don't care about skin color as long as their candidate pursues their bigoted agenda, such as giving welfare benefits only to White people.

OTOH, if that candidate has dark skin and does not pursue that bigoted agenda, then that candidate's race becomes a major issue and the conservative voters will attack it.

Based on the last election, I'm curious if we'll ever see another white male for President again.

I believe obama will be the last black potus for quite awhile...I dont think theres anyone popular enough of color to step into that role right at the moment and it would take a very unique black individual to overcome some of the obvious obstacles...timing is everything.

Condi Rice?????

Based on the last election, I'm curious if we'll ever see another white male for President again.

Sure the black box has been checked. Now the Latino box has to be checked and then female box has to be checked and then we can be done with exorcising our white male guilt (though I suspect you are not going to see a democrat minority candidate win the WH anytime soon).

Sure the black box has been checked. Now the Latino box has to be checked and then female box has to be checked and then we can be done with exorcising our white male guilt (though I suspect you are not going to see a democrat minority candidate win the WH anytime soon).

No Asian-American box???

No Asian-American box???

They seem to be too busy actually doing meaningful stuff to be that interested in politics :) But with China as a rival, I imagine they would stand little chance nationally because Americans lump Asians all in together.

They seem to be too busy actually doing meaningful stuff to be that interested in politics :) But with China as a rival, I imagine they would stand little chance nationally because Americans lump Asians all in together.

Those discussing future candidates have mentioned the names of Jindal and Haley. Granted these two are Indian-American and not Chinese-American.

I'm assuming the west coast states have some local and state politicians who are Asian-American that the rest of us don't know about at the moment.

Those discussing future candidates have mentioned the names of Jindal and Haley. Granted these two are Indian-American and not Chinese-American.

I'm assuming the west coast states have some local and state politicians who are Asian-American that the rest of us don't know about at the moment.

The third in line to the Presidency is Asian actually.

I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't say for sure. But how is anything he did different than Bush...and no one was saying Bush would be the last white POTUS we'll see in our lifetimes. So maybe let's keep the stupid to a minimum.

Checking the demographics of the nation, and assuming that Obama can get the however million illegals, legal Bush may be the last white male president for a generation. Not sure that is bad, but seems like a reality especially when you look at the primary process.

That's like asking if Romney won would he be the last Mormon? It's a stupid question.

Back
Top Bottom