• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Obama-care here to stay?

Is Obama-care here to stay?

• Once it kicks in, people will love it.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • It will be killed by the GOP

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
What do you think? I think it's here to stay, there will be revisions just like other social programs which became law. The fear of the unknown is always scary. Once it kicks in, people will begin to love it. That's what conservatives fear the most.

It's here to stay.

It will be killed by the GOP

Other

Last edited:
What do you think? I think it's here to stay, there will be revisions just like other social programs which became law. The fear of the unknown is always scary. Once it kicks in, people will begin to love it. That's what conservatives fear the most.

It's here to stay.

Other

I think it will be eroded over time by delays, lack of funding, and court challenges. I do not think it will ever be outright repealed and the good (or at least, non-threatening) parts of it such as allowing adults to stay on their parents plan until they are 26 will be here to stay.

I modify my selection to read; "It will be killed by the Democrats."

It will evolve and be modified into an even more truely spectacular mess as more "great ideas" are appended to or woven into it. Once federal gov't control is established, over anything, it will simply not go away.

It's here to stay.

Other

I certainly hope it dies. All it's done so far is made pretty much everyone's premiums go up, despite the endless promises we were given that it wouldn't. If we were getting some kind of extra services for that extra money, I could possibly understand, but we're not. I hope we dismantle it piece by piece.

my guess is that it's going to be so ineffective at solving the problem that we'll transition into single payer via a public option. it will probably take at least a decade of failure, though.

once corporations figure out that single payer means they don't have to provide coverage, they'll lobby to get it done. hopefully, they'll be able to out-lobby the health insurance cartel.

Is Obamacare here to stay? Hell I hope not. My husband a few years my senior just reached Medicare age. From his previous coverage to what Obama thinks he deserves increased not only our insurance premiums but today he filled his prescriptions and under Medicare part B which he is paying for increased the amount of his prescriptions by 120%. What an f-ing scam!!! No wonder so many are wanting to be void of this absolute friggen brain fart!!!!!

once corporations figure out that single payer means they don't have to provide coverage, they'll lobby to get it done. hopefully, they'll be able to out-lobby the health insurance cartel.

Having to provide healthcare coverage is a noose upon American business. They have to offer it partly due to competitive reasons, but you're right that a single payer system would be preferable to corporate American then the current system.

I certainly hope it dies. All it's done so far is made pretty much everyone's premiums go up, despite the endless promises we were given that it wouldn't. If we were getting some kind of extra services for that extra money, I could possibly understand, but we're not. I hope we dismantle it piece by piece.

I don't believe this claim is accurate. Can you provide anything that confirms this? I have heard that in some states some premiums will go up but in the majority of states they will go down from several sources. Thanks.

Having to provide healthcare coverage is a noose upon American business. They have to offer it partly due to competitive reasons, but you're right that a single payer system would be preferable to corporate American then the current system.

from what i've read, it's a vestige from the wage controls during WWII. no other first world nation does this, so it makes our own businesses less competitive. it seems intuitive to end this health insurance distribution model.

from what i've read, it's a vestige from the wage controls during WWII. no other first world nation does this, so it makes our own businesses less competitive. it seems intuitive to end this health insurance distribution model.

Does any nation do it our way?

Heck, you see Gate's comments on healthcare costs on the Pentagon? Soon we can't afford weapons. Imagine the impact it's having on corporate America as a whole.

I'm pretty sure that when the # of uninsured is cut in half in states that opt into medicaid, it'll be here to stay.

Not a chance of that happening.

No, of course not. Only Joe Biden, Barney Frank, Ben Nelson, Ron Barber, Ann Kirkpatrick, Kyrsten Sinema and Howard Dean have come out against part or all of the bill. But they aren't important. What is important are those big money unions that are banging down the white house door to get Obama to exempt them from the bill. It is a job killing machine and the unions know it. The Democrats will have to repeal it, in parts, to save their careers. It has already begun. They are delaying parts, handing out exemptions and considering repealing other parts. When it is all said and done, everything but the life time limits ban and pre-existing coverage ban will be gone. Mark my words...Obamacare is on the surgical table and the death panel's decision is final.

I don't believe this claim is accurate. Can you provide anything that confirms this? I have heard that in some states some premiums will go up but in the majority of states they will go down from several sources. Thanks.

Premiums have already increased for a large number of Americans, and they're expected to increase even further. My parents premiums, for instance, have increased by about 30% over the last year. A lot of my friends have been cut back hours at work so that the employer doesn't have to give them medical. Now they're stuck with higher premiums and less working hours because of this.

It's simple supply and demand. We've tried to immediately increase the demand for healthcare services by mandating everybody buys it, but we haven't proportionally increased our healthcare industry. So demand is far outweighing supply, and because of that premiums have skyrocketed.

[1] [2]

Premiums have already increased for a large number of Americans, and they're expected to increase even further. My parents premiums, for instance, have increased by about 30% over the last year. A lot of my friends have been cut back hours at work so that the employer doesn't have to give them medical. Now they're stuck with higher premiums and less working hours because of this.

It's simple supply and demand. We've tried to immediately increase the demand for healthcare services by mandating everybody buys it, but we haven't proportionally increased our healthcare industry. So demand is far outweighing supply, and because of that premiums have skyrocketed.

[1] [2]

From your source:

130802171131-obamacare-premiums-rise-620xa.jpg

That is an image with... interesting electoral implications.

:) Both of these states will have plenty of opportunity, it seems, to ponder their 2012 selection.

As for the OP:

The actual Act itself will never be repealed - that would be a political battle the Democrats would have to fight to the death. But it will be amended into something that is completely unlike what it is today, for the simple enough reason that we cannot afford what it is today, and attempting to do so will cause the federal government to crash. Obamacare is such a disaster that it can't be fully implemented.

From your source:

130802171131-obamacare-premiums-rise-620xa.jpg

That is an image with... interesting electoral implications.

:) Both of these states will have plenty of opportunity, it seems, to ponder their 2012 selection.

Ha, yeah. If they were clever enough they would've subsidized the swing states instead of the states they already had like NY and CA.

As for the OP:

The actual Act itself will never be repealed - that would be a political battle the Democrats would have to fight to the death. But it will be amended into something that is completely unlike what it is today, for the simple enough reason that we cannot afford what it is today, and attempting to do so will cause the federal government to crash. Obamacare is such a disaster that it can't be fully implemented.

I think if we put all the numbers, economics, and reality away for a minute, and just look at one big glaring fact: The politicians who wrote this ****ing bill exempted themselves from it.

That is all we really need to know that it's a terrible, terrible idea.

It's here to stay.

Other

The GOP will not kill it.All these attempts they made are nothing more than deliberate DOA bills to sucker idiots into voting for them and once they have their votes they won't do anything to remove Obama-care. If anything they will either remove the loophole that allows employers to get out paying for it as long as they only hire part-time or they will leave it as is so that individuals have to pay for it.

It's here to stay, whether it works or not. The GOP has repealed it 40 times, and it's still here. They've demonstrated their impotence in a level I don't think has ever been shown before. The Democrats won't repeal it because they've put too much into it. It ain't goin' nowhere.

It will evolve and be modified into an even more truely spectacular mess as more "great ideas" are appended to or woven into it. Once federal gov't control is established, over anything, it will simply not go away.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Read more at No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once... - Ronald Reagan at BrainyQuote

For a while, maybe, depending on what happens with all these delays. But I see us eventually going to just a UHC system like most other 1st world nations have already done. It makes more sense.

Ha, yeah. If they were clever enough they would've subsidized the swing states instead of the states they already had like NY and CA.

I think if we put all the numbers, economics, and reality away for a minute, and just look at one big glaring fact: The politicians who wrote this ****ing bill exempted themselves from it.

That is all we really need to know that it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Yes, the exemption here is very "odd."

I suspect that unless the push to repeal it finds some new source of momentum, the push to repeal will continue to decline.

Back
Top Bottom