• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Obama A Bully?[W:55]

Is Obama a Bully?

• Total voters

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It seems to me when it comes to the targeting of individuals for drone strikes, when it comes to countries of less stature, of less means, Obama is very cavalier in his handling of the situation. He has no problem flexing US might and never misses a chance to peacock in front of the press on how tough he is.

However, when faced with real opposition, say Russia, China, Iran..... He's a timid little dove.

So, where I come from we have a name for people who lord their strength over the weak who prey on easy targets but tuck tail to the strong or possibly formidable adversaries. What do we call them?

A Bully.

What say you?

Re: Is Obama A Bully?

The United States government is a bully.

It seems to me when it comes to the targeting of individuals for drone strikes, when it comes to countries of less stature, of less means, Obama is very cavalier in his handling of the situation. He has no problem flexing US might and never misses a chance to peacock in front of the press on how tough he is.

However, when faced with real opposition, say Russia, China, Iran..... He's a timid little dove.

So, where I come from we have a name for people who lord their strength over the weak who prey on easy targets but tuck tail to the strong or possibly formidable adversaries. What do we call them?

A Bully.

What say you?

Don't really have an opinion. Sounds like he prefers diplomacy when he thinks he can get something out of it, but aggression when there is nothing to gain from diplomacy. Having said that, he's not really different from other presidents in the past. Clinton did the same thing - pick on the little people, but appease the bigger ones.

Both are better than Carter, who was afraid of his own damn shadow. Neither were as good as Kennedy, who sacked up and made Khruschev look like a bitch in a global flinching match.

Don't really have an opinion. Sounds like he prefers diplomacy when he thinks he can get something out of it, but aggression when there is nothing to gain from diplomacy. Having said that, he's not really different from other presidents in the past. Clinton did the same thing - pick on the little people, but appease the bigger ones.

Both are better than Carter, who was afraid of his own damn shadow. Neither were as good as Kennedy, who sacked up and made Khruschev look like a bitch in a global flinching match.

I don't know.... His is a strange breed of "diplomacy"...

Targeting individuals using the resources and might of our military from a far, invading the sovereignty of minor countries airspace and territory while not flexing any sort of muscle, militarily or economically against larger foes seems to me kinda like a coward pretending he's the Farm Yard ****...

No more than any former US presidents, all of whom have used their power to the advantage of the US, and considerably less than some presidents, one of whom has pre-emptively invaded a country on false pretenses and started two wars that have lasted over a decade and been responsible for the death and maiming of tens of thousands of service men and women, and hundreds of thousands of civilians.

No more than any former US presidents, all of whom have used their power to the advantage of the US, and considerably less than some presidents, one of whom has pre-emptively invaded a country on false pretenses and started two wars that have lasted over a decade and been responsible for the death and maiming of tens of thousands of service men and women, and hundreds of thousands of civilians.

Because "everybody's doing it" makes it OK? Any less cowardly?

A Bully.

What say you?

The answer may be underscored by his planned announcement regarding global warming, scheduled for tomorrow...

Obama to lay out climate change plan in speech on Tuesday

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Saturday that he will outline a climate change plan on Tuesday centered around reducing pollution from carbon emissions as he attempts to make good on a pledge for his second term.

No, but it does make your attempt to distinguish him less compelling.

Good to know you have an open mind. :)

Guess you didn't really want an answer to your question after all.

A Bully.

What say you?

He is a bully, but not in the way you seem to think. If anything, he has shown himself to be rather timid when it comes to international relations.

He acually seems to save the majority of his intimidating bluster and coercive power for his political opponents on the domestic front. His administration has gone to absolutely obscene lengths to target and even silence groups and individuals which might prove to be troublesome for the Obama agenda.

The IRS scandal and the Obama White House's treatment of the media stand as testament to this fact.

I don't know.... His is a strange breed of "diplomacy"...

Targeting individuals using the resources and might of our military from a far, invading the sovereignty of minor countries airspace and territory while not flexing any sort of muscle, militarily or economically against larger foes seems to me kinda like a coward pretending he's the Farm Yard ****...

To be fair, the governments of most of the nations which our drones "invade" are complicit in those operations on at least some level.

Last edited:

Good to know you have an open mind. :)

The most open of open...but not so much that I lack conviction.

I didn't want an answer because I asked a follow up question? Once you've responded, that it, eh? Beyond reproach and how dare someone second guess you? Got it...:thumbs:

He is a bully, but not in the way you seem to think. If anything, he has shown himself to be rather timid when it comes to international relations.

He acually seems to save the majority of his intimidating bluster and coercive power for his political opponents on the domestic front. His administration has gone to absolutely obscene lengths to target and even silence groups and individuals which might prove to be troublesome for the Obama agenda.

The IRS scandal and the Obama White House's treatment of the media stand as testament to this fact.

To be fair, the governments of most of the nations which our drones "invade" are complicit in those operations on at least some level.

Well, once a bully....

I see what you're saying and agree. I was trying to rush and put the issue in as vague as possible terms as I could. I could have gone in-depth but figured the opposition wouldn't listen so why put forth the effort and those that agree I would be preaching to the choir. A little lazy I now but...

Being complicit and being coerced are two separate things though.

No, but it does make your attempt to distinguish him less compelling.

For some, as shown in 2012, it doesn't matter how much evidence, the people just won't listen...

The answer may be underscored by his planned announcement regarding global warming, scheduled for tomorrow...

Obama to lay out climate change plan in speech on Tuesday

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Saturday that he will outline a climate change plan on Tuesday centered around reducing pollution from carbon emissions as he attempts to make good on a pledge for his second term.

Well here's a wonderful example of seeing an effect misinterpreting the cause and shoving asinine solutions down the throats of everyone. It's what happens when you politicize science.

Well, once a bully....

I see what you're saying and agree. I was trying to rush and put the issue in as vague as possible terms as I could. I could have gone in-depth but figured the opposition wouldn't listen so why put forth the effort and those that agree I would be preaching to the choir. A little lazy I now but...

Maybe he is with others.....but he is not a bully around here and definitely not with any off the streets here. Around here with people on the streets.....he learned a long time ago. To Keep his mouth shut and not say to much. Which helped kept his dome intact. ;)

Well here's a wonderful example of seeing an effect misinterpreting the cause and shoving asinine solutions down the throats of everyone. It's what happens when you politicize science.

From what has been discussed, the President plans to detail how he will use his executive powers, and the unilateral powers of regulatory agencies like the EPA to carry out his orders.

If this is true, it would seem he is not interested in engaging Congress, or the will of the citizens of this country regarding this issue.

That would seem to answer the Bully question.

From what has been discussed, the President plans to detail how he will use his executive powers, and the unilateral powers of regulatory agencies like the EPA to carry out his orders.

If this is true, it would seem he is not interested in engaging Congress, or the will of the citizens of this country regarding this issue.

That would seem to answer the Bully question.

We are a democratic Republic, not a dictatorship! He is only one branch of the government, and whether or not he likes it, that is the way it is! Congress is there to represent the will of the people, and they will not be ignored. Does BHO even understand what the word "compromise" means? This is getting ridiculous! :shock:

A Bully.

What say you?

I call them WingNuts. Doesn't matter if they're on the left or right. Basically they whine and threaten others if they don't get their way, kinda like my 5 YO grandson if he can't have cake for breakfast. Bullies come in many shapes and sizes. There's some on this forum, if they don't get the answer they want, or the answer isn't in line with their beliefs they throw a tantrum and scream " I'm right and you're wrong" or just refuse to look past their red or blue colored blinders.

Maybe he is with others.....but he is not a bully around here and definitely not with any off the streets here. Around here with people on the streets.....he learned a long time ago. To Keep his mouth shut and not say to much. Which helped kept his dome intact. ;)

Well, you know, ever since he helped Calypso Louie with his Bean Pie sale over at UofC he really hasn't had much to worry about...;)

Well, once a bully....

I'm honestly not sure if they're the ones being coerced in this situation, or if we are.

We pay the Pakistani Government absolutely obscene amounts of money in order to make use of their ports and road ways so that we can keep our troops in Afghanistan supplied. If they wanted to, they could severely undermine the war effort by closing those routes, and by using the Taliban as a proxy force against us, as they did with the Mujahideen against the Soviets in the 1980s.

They don't necessarily have to help us, after all. We lack the political will and strategic postioning necessary to act against them in any military sense at the present moment if they were to side against us.

On the other hand, however; their highly corrupt and unstable government is basically only being kept afloat by US military and financial aid, and there are quite a few radical Islamic groups operating in Pakistan which would like to topple the existing regime just as badly as they would ever like to oust US forces from Afghanistan.

As such, they don't really mind allowing us to use our drones to help take out the occassional high value target so long as it keeps that money flowing, and saves them from having to do the dirty work themselves. They simply prefer that we keep things discrete so that they can save face with the highly anti-American groups which make up a significant portion of their population.

It's kind of a difficult situation either way you want to look at it. The US and Pakistan might not like each other per se, but they certainly seem to need one another's cooperation at the present moment.

Last edited:

We are a democratic Republic, not a dictatorship! He is only one branch of the government, and whether or not he likes it, that is the way it is! Congress is there to represent the will of the people, and they will not be ignored. Does BHO even understand what the word "compromise" means? This is getting ridiculous! :shock:

I will be interesting to learn what he has planned. From what I have read, it's not going to matter what others think.

I think this is what so many talk about when discussing the exclusive powers that have been granted government agencies who don't answer to the people. This seems to go along with the Progressive view of how a "professional" government is better suited to rule over the people.

Assuming what has been written about the Presidents speech tomorrow is true, what recourse will people have if they disagree with the policy and approach?

I'm honestly not sure if they're the ones being coerced in this situation, or if we are.

We pay the Pakistani Government absolutely obscene amounts of money in order to make use of their ports and road ways so that we can keep our troops in Afghanistan supplied. If they wanted to, they could severely undermine the war effort by closing those routes, and by using the Taliban as a proxy force against us, as they did with the Mujahideen against the Soviets in the 1980s.

They don't necessarily have to help us, after all. We lack the political will and strategic postioning necessary to act against them in any military sense at the present moment if they were to side against us.

On the other hand, however; their highly corrupt and unstable government is basically only being kept afloat by US military and financial aid, and there are quite a few radical Islamic groups operating in Pakistan which would like to topple the existing regime just as badly as they would ever like to oust US forces from Afghanistan.

As such, they don't really mind allowing us to use our drones to help take out the occassional high value target so long as it keeps that money flowing, and saves them from having to do the dirty work themselves. They simply prefer that we keep things discrete so that they can save face with the highly anti-American groups which make up a significant portion of their population.

It's kind of a difficult situation either way you want to look at it. The US and Pakistan might not like each other per se, but they certainly seem to need one another's cooperation at the present moment.

We pay Jordan and Egypt handsomely to play nice as well. Israel too. But we give Israel slightly better toys, they improve them, test them, showcase them, and we are allied with them (despite Obama's best efforts) so they're put in a different category.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we were to hear in the not too distant future that Russia reciprocated the favor Charlie Wilson provided the Afghani's

The entire financial support of Pakistan revolves around their nuclear capability. Don't let anyone kid you, Pakistan isn't an ally. They're opportunists. Some of the most hardcore Islamists are Paki. On both sides of the fence. I think we're both in agreement here.

I guess my biggest issue is with the way he deals with China and Russia. They punk him every chance and he takes it right on the chin. Now, is it a case that he can't actually do anything or is it that he's afraid to, or is it that he doesn't want to? More often than not, when China or Russia bark, Obama rolls over and starts to whiz like a cur.

A Bully.

What say you?

Precisely

The most open of open...but not so much that I lack conviction.

I didn't want an answer because I asked a follow up question? Once you've responded, that it, eh? Beyond reproach and how dare someone second guess you? Got it...:thumbs:

This....

...was not a follow-up question. It was snark and sarcasm that had little or nothing to do with what I had written. I gave it the response it deserved.

This....

...was not a follow-up question. It was snark and sarcasm that had little or nothing to do with what I had written. I gave it the response it deserved.

My dear, I can show you snark and sarcasm, what you feign offense at I assure you was neither.

You has said

to which I followed up with

To which you replied

Good to know you have an open mind.

Now, looking at this exchange anyone with 2 eyes and 1 brain can see you were the one providing the snark and sarcasm, not I.

Your response to my OP was "No more than any former US presidents,..."

my reply was

"Because "everybody's doing it" makes it OK? Any less cowardly?"

You see, that is a direct set of questions to a direct comment. Where is the snark? The sarcasm? There is none, not yet, here it comes, ready?

"Good to know you have an open mind. Guess you didn't really want an answer to your question after all"

There it is, ya see it? Who wrote that, was it me, the Big Meanie? No, it was you, snark and sarcasm.

But wait, there's more....

After not answering my direct, relevant, follow up questions -- what did you do? After the snark and sarcasm? You P-R-O-J-E-C-T-E-D, that's right ladies and gentlemen, you projected onto me that which you were guilty of doing.

Didn't answer my question, did ya? Noooooooo...

Instead, instead of simply saying "No, it doesn't matter if they're all doing it, it is still wrong, I was just pointing out that Obama wasn't the Lone Ranger in all of this" What did you do? You tried to deflect your partisan behavior by trying to accuse me of something I clearly wasn't guilty of but which you -- With the evidence put out for God and Country to look upon, look upon and point their righteous finger of indignation -- most certainly are...

Back
Top Bottom