• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is multiple nationality in Ukraine a crime?

nrummel

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
pas.jpg

Ukraine risks isolation. Scandals of the West Slavic minorities' deprivation of the right to ethnic identity and the freedom to choose their language are still fresh. But Ukrainian people's representatives have been much concerned by the territorial integrity of their long suffering country. It seems that not only language and cultural, but also citizenship of their ancestral homeland discrimination has been waiting for Ukrainian Hungarians, Romanians, Poles.

The thing is the Law of Ukraine on Citizenship of Ukraine prohibits multiple citizenship, however, doesn't define it as a serious offense. Thus, section 2, subsection 1 of this Law states that any person with Ukrainian citizenship is considered a citizen of Ukraine only regardless existence of other allegiances. Just the President of the country can (but isn't obliged to) withdraw nationality of the perpetrator with notice to the authorities about the second passport by its owner himself.

However, this provisional law hardly has an impact on the Ukrainians' free choice. It is odd enough that multinational Ukraine prefers to impose such legal constrains instead of signing international agreements on resolving the dual citizenship issue, following the model of many civilized countries. Up till now this restriction was nevertheless a formality. It was of narrow practical value. However, Ukrainian politicians advocate for permanent ban on multiple nationality more and more often.

The administrative and criminal liability for dual citizenship has become a frequent issue in Ukrainian halls of power. Last year, Oleh Lyashko, a leader of the Radical Party of Ukraine, offered to introduce severe penalties for multiple nationality up to and including termination of employment and imprisonment. Recently, Maxim Burbak, a member of Verkhovna Rada, has picked the torch.

Who would have thought that giving out of Moldovan passports will perturb the people's deputy so much? He must have seen a "Bucharest hand" and couldn't keep down his righteous anger. Pan Burbak just has forgotten that he isn't the only exposed to emotions one. In Ukraine Pole's cards, statuses of a Slovak living abroad, Romanian and Hungarian passports were handed out at various times, over the last years. This activity was opposed vigorously by the Kiev politicians. In return they fueled tension with all adjacent states issuing bills approving historical atrocities by Ukrainian nationalists and violating rights of national minorities. This just gave additional pain in the neck of their European neighbours.

As a result, Klaus Iohannis, the current President of Romania, called off a visit to Ukraine after the adoption of Ukraine's new Education Law; Bartosz Tsihotsky, Deputy Minister of foreign affairs of Poland, declared conflict of identities with Ukraine; and relations of Hungary and Ukraine ended up with a fat diplomatic scandal, which continues to this very day.

Those accusations of territorial claims by Burbak regarding a number of countries can trigger intensification of those very claims. Criminalization of multiple citizenship by the most modest estimate held by more than half a million of Ukrainians will be the last straw for the one fifth of the Ukrainian citizens, that part that belongs to national minorities, and for their European neighbours, who were advocating Kiev in its relations with the EU for a long time.

The president Poroshenko, however, was very good with the Burbak's initiative. At the moment, it's been discussed seriously in his administration as a tool for capturing the voices of nationalist young people in the coming election. Only time will tell whether Poroshenko will lead the country to a monumental diplomatic disaster in favour of a shady chance of the maintaining power for another presidential term. So far, the prognosis is not good.

russiantroll_1329861.jpg

guys from savushkino, this forum is not a dump hole for your TV.ru $hitt

Russian troll.

The crass dismissal of this largely factual account is totally lazy and dis-honest.

The truth is that Ukraine's ban on dual nationality is indeed causing problems with some of its western neighbours. Small wonder that Ukraine is the ever shrinking state, losing citizens from the east to Russia, the west to Hungary and Romania, and in the middle its brightest to emigration to escape the calamitous regime.

I presume that the BBC has not been hijacked by Russian trolls?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45753886

Ukraine and Hungary are expelling diplomats from each other's nations in a row over Budapest issuing Hungarian passports to Ukrainian citizens.

Ukraine gave a Hungarian consul three days to leave, after a video emerged allegedly showing the diplomat issuing Hungarian passports in western Ukraine.

In the footage, the recipients are asked to keep this secret. Ukraine does not allow dual citizenship.

In a tit-for-tat response, Hungary said it would expel a Ukrainian consul.

This is the latest in a series of spats between the two neighbouring countries.

Last year, Hungary protested over a law that limits the teaching of subjects in languages of Ukraine's ethnic minorities, including Hungarian.

More than 100,000 ethnic Hungarians live in Ukraine's western Transcarpathia region, and Budapest says the law limits their rights.

Hungary - a Nato and EU member - has in recent months been blocking Ukraine's attempts to integrate with both organisations.

Hungarians are the largest ethnic minority in Transcarpathia - a region that was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

it shows that the fascists are in power in putler´s bamboo stan . thats why you have support only in semi - fascists countries like Hungary . so you are OK with Nazis - jobbik which supports you? you grandson of a VYTIRAN ?

000_DV2177588.jpg

jobbik_revised3_0.jpg

your grandpa VYTIRAN
vkza1xdbezm.jpg

13092061_263152200691211_9131819671664805481_n.jpg

+
hdxiw5-s3o.jpg

Mindless 'whataboutism' :roll:.

Any comments on the facts, or don't they suit the narrative so we'll launch into a diatribe against an EU and NATO member state :roll:?

Quite a pickle.

but also citizenship of their ancestral homeland discrimination has been waiting for Ukrainian Hungarians, Romanians, Poles.

No country can pass out foreign passports to Ukraine citizens on Ukrainian soil. That is what Orban's Hungary was engaged in.

No country can pass out foreign passports to Ukraine citizens on Ukrainian soil. That is what Orban's Hungary was engaged in.

Well that's exactly what they are doing.

Not just Hungary either. Romania and Poland are at it too. All good EU and NATO member states. So what they're doing must be legal and above board.

And of course Ukraine is bleeding out in the Donbas too as people emigrate to Russia.

Well that's exactly what they are doing.

And that is illegal in any country. Spasybi. You made my point.

The OP is disinformation. As I guessed, a Russian propaganda troll.

And that is illegal in any country. Spasybi. You made my point.

The OP is disinformation. As I guessed, a Russian propaganda troll.

It's not illegal in 'any' country.

Hungary offers certain Ukrainian citizens a process for obtaining a Hungarian passport.

It's not illegal for Hungary to do it in accordance with its own laws, but Ukraine makes it illegal for its citizens to hold dual nationality. So technically, Kiev should uphold its laws by stripping such national of Ukrainian citizenship.

It's not illegal in 'any' country.

Hungary offers certain Ukrainian citizens a process for obtaining a Hungarian passport.

It's not illegal for Hungary to do it in accordance with its own laws, but Ukraine makes it illegal for its citizens to hold dual nationality. So technically, Kiev should uphold its laws by stripping such national of Ukrainian citizenship.

It is up to every country to decide if it will allow (and under what terms) dual-citizenship.

In Russia for example, dual-citizenship (dvoynoye) status can only be granted to citizens of the foreign countries that signed a special international agreement with Russia. Such an agreement only exists with Tajikistan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, and Kyrgyzstan. Everyone else must first renounce their original citizenship before being granted Russian citizenship and a passport. For a Russian national to obtain dual-citizenship (vtoroye grazhdanstvo), permission must be granted by the Federal Migration Service. Be aware also that Russian citizens are issued two passports, an internal passport and an external passport.

Ukraine does not allow dual-citizenship. For Ukrainian citizens that acquire foreign citizenship/passport, Ukraine only recognizes the Ukraine citizenship. In sum, you are either Ukrainian or you are not.

It is up to every country to decide if it will allow (and under what terms) dual-citizenship.

In Russia for example, dual-citizenship (dvoynoye) status can only be granted to citizens of the foreign countries that signed a special international agreement with Russia. Such an agreement only exists with Tajikistan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, and Kyrgyzstan. Everyone else must first renounce their original citizenship before being granted Russian citizenship and a passport. For a Russian national to obtain dual-citizenship (vtoroye grazhdanstvo), permission must be granted by the Federal Migration Service. Be aware also that Russian citizens are issued two passports, an internal passport and an external passport.

Ukraine does not allow dual-citizenship. For Ukrainian citizens that acquire foreign citizenship/passport, Ukraine only recognizes the Ukraine citizenship. In sum, you are either Ukrainian or you are not.

Yes - so if Ukrainian citizens are taking citizenship of other states, Kiev has to decide what to do.

Why is Kiev unwilling to strip those people of Ukrainian nationality? Is it losing too many people already - the incredible shrinking state?

https://www.newsweek.com/macron-wants-european-army-protect-against-us-1203115

Ukraine’s population decreased by about 170,000 people in 2016, the government in Kiev reported last month, underscoring a demographic trend that began after the country declared its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, and which threatens to derail the country’s political and economic development.

“This is a serious problem for the country,” Alex Ryabchyn, a member of Ukraine’s Parliament, told The Daily Signal. “People are dying due to bad living conditions, declining environmental standards, or the war. Another problem is that the most active workforce is considering emigration.”

More people are dying than are being born in Ukraine. In 2016, every birth in Ukraine was matched by 1.5 deaths, according to a January report by the State Statistics Service of Ukraine.

By the end of 2016, Ukraine’s population had decreased by about 9.5 million from its 1993 peak of 52,244,100—a net 18 percent drop.

Yes - so if Ukrainian citizens are taking citizenship of other states, Kiev has to decide what to do.

No, Kyiv doesn't have to decide what to do. According to Ukraine law, dual-nationality of Ukraine citizens is not recognized.

By the end of 2016, Ukraine’s population had decreased by about 9.5 million from its 1993 peak of 52,244,100—a net 18 percent drop.

Where is your citation? People who live in glass houses and all that. Russia's negative population rate.....

The population of Russia peaked at 148,689,000 in 1991, just before the breakup of the Soviet Union. Low birth rates and abnormally high death rates caused Russia's population to decline at a 0.5% annual rate, or about 750,000 to 800,000 people per year from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s.
Demographics of Russia

More whataboutism from Mr. Whataboutism. What does your Post #12 have to do with dual-citizenship?

Where is your citation? People who live in glass houses and all that. Russia's negative population rate.....

Demographics of Russia

More whataboutism from Mr. Whataboutism. What does your Post #12 have to do with dual-citizenship?

My citation was clearly provided. Take it up with Newsweek.

As for Whataboutism, I'm just an apprentice compared to you.

That Newsweek link addresses nothing wrt Ukrainian demographics. best not look into any mirrors, they might crack.

Are you serious?

I don't need to provide citations of citations because whilst I know the latter I don't know the former.

I have never ever seen anybody quoting from an article, an article on a western propaganda site too, asked to explain where that site got their stats from. How do I know?

If you don't like the facts quoted take it up with your own people.

Are you serious?

I don't need to provide citations of citations because whilst I know the latter I don't know the former.

I have never ever seen anybody quoting from an article, an article on a western propaganda site too, asked to explain where that site got their stats from. How do I know?

If you don't like the facts quoted take it up with your own people.
You linked to something (supposedly in corroboration) not even remotely dealing with any claim you made.

I dunno what your above word salad has to do with that, other than perhaps confirming your confusion as increasing.

Back
Top Bottom