• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is making anti Jewish comments bigoted? [W:53]

Re: Is making anti Jewish comments bigoted?

The definition of a bigot is "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion". So someone who makes anti-Jewish comments is not necessarily a bigot, but is entitled to his own opinion. If you ask me, the people who want to censor "anti-Semitic" and anti-Israel comments are the real bigots.

I've actually been bounced from many forums for my opinions on this topic. Though perhaps originally an ethnicity, Judaism in today's world is a religion that is chosen by some in nearly all ethnicities. Therefore, it is no longer anymore bigoted than be anti-any-religion. Since religion is a choice, it is not bigoted to diss a religion. That said, in order to not get bounced from here, I'll say no more.

I believe Jews are an ethnicity, not just a religion. While the same is less true for Islam.

Most "anti-Islam" "bigotry" is really directed at the Arab members of the faith. People forget that Islam also has Caucasian members who they don't include in their sentiments. Judaism has a very small percentage of converts (by their convert-unfriendly "rules") and most Jews are not Israelis.

So, you can be bigoted against Jews or you can be simply anti-Israel without be anti-Jew, you can be simply anti-Arab without be anti-Muslim.

Am I correct or confused?

I've actually been bounced from many forums for my opinions on this topic. Though perhaps originally an ethnicity, Judaism in today's world is a religion that is chosen by some in nearly all ethnicities. Therefore, it is no longer anymore bigoted than be anti-any-religion. Since religion is a choice, it is not bigoted to diss a religion. That said, in order to not get bounced from here, I'll say no more.

We know what radical Islam has done for us and people have every right to be really bent out of shape about that. There's just something about people wanting to kill you that makes them really easy to dislike.

So what have the Jews done to you, lately?

We know what radical Islam has done for us and people have every right to be really bent out of shape about that. There's just something about people wanting to kill you that makes them really easy to dislike.

Unfortunately due to political correctness regarding jews, one is not really allowed to answer that question anymore without being pegged anti-semetic or worse.

Unfortunately due to political correctness regarding jews, one is not really allowed to answer that question anymore without being pegged anti-semetic or worse.

If the answer was true, it would be absolutely defensible. I suspect what gets you pegged as being anti-semitic or worse is spewing crap that is really anti-semitic or worse.

The "worst" that would happen is it would be moved to the Conspiracy section where it's rampant.
So please, make your case, start a few strings, have a party. There are many there.
You likely don't have one, but your innuendo is bulletproof and ominous... if empty.

Last edited:

What kind of Jewish, and what kind of comment?

Anti-Jewish state for policy reasons? Not bigoted.

Anti-Jewish state for eugenics reasons? Bigoted.

Anti-religion that happens to address Judaism? Could go either way, but potentially not bigoted.

Specifically anti-Judaism? More likely to be bigoted.

Anti-ethnic Jews? Always bigoted.

"Jewish" means a lot of different things, and involves a lot of different things.

There are a few fanatically insane jewish groups such as the JDL. They are a minuscule minority but every faith has its wackos. We don't judge all jews by the JDL and we have to be aware that the same holds true of islam.

We also have to remember that not all Arabs are Muslim. Not all Arabs are religious. Not everybody is a "fanatical true believer". Not all Jews are Zionists. Not all christians embrace exorcism.

It's no simple thing. Sometimes, I feel like we should have barcodes:)

you are judging a lot of people on the actions of the few.

meanwhile israel has been involved in a lot of wars that have killed a lot of americans. the israeli lobby influences american politics and israeli interests pervade the mainstream corporate media.

all of this is irrelevant though. one might as well blame white people or christians for the westboro church and hate all of them too.

its a demonstrable falacy and almost a text book definition of bigotry to hate all individual parts of a greater whole for individual examples that are completely non representative of the greater whole.

When people say something as patently dishonest as what you have claimed, rightly so.

When people say something as patently dishonest as what you have claimed, rightly so.

you seem to be a example of this very attack on critical discussion of an organised religion and culture.

We certainly know your favorite subject already -- Joos, Joos, Joos!!

Slow day at shiachat today, is it?

did i breach the north atlantic firewall. maybe you should complain to your corporate media structure and get a nice nike commercial in this space.

welcome to the free world son. we aint in your trailer park any more.

What kind of Jewish, and what kind of comment?

Anti-Jewish state for policy reasons? Not bigoted.

Anti-Jewish state for eugenics reasons? Bigoted.

Anti-religion that happens to address Judaism? Could go either way, but potentially not bigoted.

Specifically anti-Judaism? More likely to be bigoted.

Anti-ethnic Jews? Always bigoted.

"Jewish" means a lot of different things, and involves a lot of different things.
Exactly. Bravo and well said. But you know likely as well as I that most people lump all of those options under one heading "jewish" and to be against "jewish" is to be anti-semetic.

Exactly. Bravo and well said. But you know likely as well as I that most people lump all of those options under one heading "jewish" and to be against "jewish" is to be anti-semetic.

surely that is no worse sin than to be wholesale anti arab/ muslim?

it seems a revolting contradiction in logic that allows rampant anti muslim to be cool, but anti jew to be uncool.

where is the greater moral sense in that?

I criticize my former religion all the time. Kinda hard to find a way for that to be bigoted.

Basically, making assumptions about a person because of their ethnicity or background is usually bigoted. Wait until you see their actions to make a judgment. Criticizing a religion, rather than an ethnicity, is difference because a religion has stated platforms and positions. Stating those platforms opens them up to criticism.

Making comments about an an entire group of people which actually only apply to one or a limited number of members of that group is bigoted.

agreed.

I criticize my former religion all the time. Kinda hard to find a way for that to be bigoted.

Basically, making assumptions about a person because of their ethnicity or background is usually bigoted. Wait until you see their actions to make a judgment. Criticizing a religion, rather than an ethnicity, is difference because a religion has stated platforms and positions. Stating those platforms opens them up to criticism.

So like for like,,, a thread entitled the trouble with judaism would in no way be antisemitic by default.

you are judging a lot of people on the actions of the few.

I most definitely am not. I was specific in stating "radical Islam" and radical Islam is more than just a few people.

So like for like,,, a thread entitled the trouble with judaism would in no way be antisemitic by default.

If it was intelligent criticisms of tenets of Judaism, probably not. But I doubt that most people who would make such a thread would really care to get into the silliness of rules prohibiting wearing multiple fabrics together. Any thread on circumcision would invariably have to deal with Jewish theology.

It depends on the presentation.

What if the content was "can't eat bacon and that sucks". I don't see "the trouble with Judaism" as being inherently bigotted, racist or anti-semitic by default. It really depends on what the content is under such a subject line.

Back
Top Bottom