• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is making anti Jewish comments bigoted? [W:53]

Re: Is making anti Jewish comments bigoted?

Well. This is my take on the issue.

If you walk on the street and a jew trips you, and you fall, you are allowed to say: Screw you, you dirty jew, you tripped me; It's not a bigoted statement because you addressing him, the asshole who tripped you.
If you say however: screw the jews; now that's bigoted because you are attacking an entire ethnic group based on the fact that they are of that ethnicity.

If you dislike Israel however, or the Israeli govt, the israeli army, etc, that doesn't make you a bigot.
If you hate israelis, as in, the population that lives in Israel, then yes, you're a bigot.. and an asshole to boot.

If walking on the street, you see a jew and inside you, you start feeling the rage and decide you want to punch him in the face... you might have issues.
If you do punch him, you may be a bigot... and an aggressor.
If you are walking down the street and you see a jew, and he is speaking a lot stuff you don't agree with ( maybe you're pro-palestine and he is talking about Israel's right to exist) you can assault him with your verbal arsenal without being a bigot. Though tough luck proving that to your peers.

It's a bit tricky when talking about judaism and the jewish people because ever since reformed judaism kicked in during the late XVIIIth, early XIXth century, being a jew means no longer being part of the jewish religion. Or rather, being jewish is more than just being part of the jewish religion. If before reformed judaism, one would be a jew if he practiced judaism, same as all people from all religions (you're a Christian if you practice Christianity, etc), reformed judaism gave jews and ethnicity. that's why jews who are atheists are still jews.
As opposed to Christians whom, if they were to start being atheists, wouldn't really be Christians anymore. They would be what remains of that. But jewish atheists are still jews because reformed judaism established that.

Well. This is my take on the issue.

If you walk on the street and a jew trips you, and you fall, you are allowed to say: Screw you, you dirty jew, you tripped me; It's not a bigoted statement because you addressing him, the asshole who tripped you.

If you say however: screw the jews; now that's bigoted because you are attacking an entire ethnic group based on the fact that they are of that ethnicity.

No/Wrong. If you said "you dirty Jew" just to the one who tripped you, that Would still be bigoted. Quite easily/solidly/Well into bigot country.
Obvious to just about anyone else anyway.
The rest of your post is just about as Wrong.
Really, when it comes to Jews, your posts are Ridiculous.
It's so off/Bizarre, it's clearly not even correctable.

Last edited:

surely that is no worse sin than to be wholesale anti arab/ muslim?

it seems a revolting contradiction in logic that allows rampant anti muslim to be cool, but anti jew to be uncool.

where is the greater moral sense in that?

Couldn't agree with you more. I am anti-religion, period. I think it ends up being the glue that holds all other animosities together, hence all the hatred. Now for some religions it's a more subtle and through channels, governments and corps, type of hatred, ie Christianity and Judaism through USA and Israel and Great Britain, and others it's more direct hatred, ie Islam.

I criticize my former religion all the time. Kinda hard to find a way for that to be bigoted.

Basically, making assumptions about a person because of their ethnicity or background is usually bigoted. Wait until you see their actions to make a judgment. Criticizing a religion, rather than an ethnicity, is difference because a religion has stated platforms and positions. Stating those platforms opens them up to criticism.

I largely agree, but I think with Judaism the religion, there's a unique factor, which is that sometimes comments can be bigoted coming from one of the other two Abrahamic religions. Often it isn't so much a critique of religion as it is a hanger-on about the Jews "killing Jesus" or desecrating the "holy land" or something like that.

What if the content was "can't eat bacon and that sucks". I don't see "the trouble with Judaism" as being inherently bigotted, racist or anti-semitic by default. It really depends on what the content is under such a subject line.
Quick question, and it is sincere, though I do think I know the PC answer, I'm curious about yours.

Would the same considered content become anti-semetic if it were titled "The trouble with Orthodox Jews" and related the a frustration with having to deal with their dietary requirements during visits or something like that. Where clearly it isn't the person, but the religious aspect that the person brings with him/her.

PC would say "yes, that's bigoted because you're talking about persons, not a religion." But seems anyone is allowed to say "Radical Islamists" rather than "Radical Islam" and are considered essentially synonymous. So I do understand the point to thread, in that we seem to allow a much more lax way of disliking Islam and it's followers than we do Judaism and it's followers. PS: I think the Jew/Judaism PC is wrong and they should also be considered synonymous.

What do you think?

....Meanwhile israel has been involved in a lot of wars that have killed a lot of americans...

ummmm....What?!?! I don't know where you are going with this comment. The Jews were promised a homeland in Palestine by the League of Nations in 1922. The area was placed under British control after WW I. Although some Jews emmigrated there prior to WW II, it was only after the Nazi genocide that they became "militant" about it. Israel became a state (as far as Jews were concerned) on May 14, 1948, and The "Arab League" (Egypt, Transjordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq) invaded one day later. They got their collective asses handed to them.

Since that time there have been various military incidents, but I am not aware of any "Americans" dying unless you talking about tourists who may have been killed by terrorist bombs?

As for your original question? Well, a bigot is someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, or intolerance. So if someone with that mindset makes such comments? He is a bigot. Otherwise?? No.

No/Wrong. If you said "you dirty Jew" just to the one who tripped you, that Would still be bigoted.

agreed.

unless he was hurling racial expletives then there seems to be little call for it.

Bigotry is a state of mind. Making anti-whatever comments about people is simply explaining to the world that the bigotry is there.

Quick question, and it is sincere, though I do think I know the PC answer, I'm curious about yours.

Would the same considered content become anti-semetic if it were titled "The trouble with Orthodox Jews" and related the a frustration with having to deal with their dietary requirements during visits or something like that. Where clearly it isn't the person, but the religious aspect that the person brings with him/her.

PC would say "yes, that's bigoted because you're talking about persons, not a religion." But seems anyone is allowed to say "Radical Islamists" rather than "Radical Islam" and are considered essentially synonymous. So I do understand the point to thread, in that we seem to allow a much more lax way of disliking Islam and it's followers than we do Judaism and it's followers. PS: I think the Jew/Judaism PC is wrong and they should also be considered synonymous.

What do you think?

There is nothing bigotted or racist about discussing idiosyncrasies of a religion or culture. I could ask "why did fried chicken become a stereotype for African Americans?". Some would immediately start playing the race card, but it's neither racism nor bigotry to discuss cultures, stereotypes or, as you seemed to be indicating, "dietary challenges" of any orthodoxy.

Bigotry is a state of mind. Making anti-whatever comments about people is simply explaining to the world that the bigotry is there.

That is true. I wish bigotry and racism would be used in proper contexts but they seem to be interchangeable even though they're really not. Bigotry is an utter unwillingness to consider or even tolerate any opinion but your own on any given topic. Racism is some fallacious belief in the superiority or inferiority of various races and typically holds your own as the superior race and others as "lesser" types of people. It is one very specific type of bigotry. You can be a bigot without being a racist, but I can't seem to think of any way you can be a racist without being a bigot.

I can be a bigot without being racist: The Russians are the stupidest people on the planet and they're White like me.........................

There is nothing bigotted or racist about discussing idiosyncrasies of a religion or culture. I could ask "why did fried chicken become a stereotype for African Americans?". Some would immediately start playing the race card, but it's neither racism nor bigotry to discuss cultures, stereotypes or, as you seemed to be indicating, "dietary challenges" of any orthodoxy.
I actually agree with you. I was just curious if you were a hypocrite. Seems you are not. I agree that we have too much PC directed at individual words rather than context. One can be a huge racist and nary say a non-PC word, or say all manner of un-PC words and not have a racist/bigoted bone in one's body.

Christians woriship the Jews because they claim....their God was a Jew.
And the Jews ....they reject that foolishness ...totally.

So tell me ...if the atheist is going to hell....according to Christian theory....won't the Jews be in hell as well?

No/Wrong. If you said "you dirty Jew" just to the one who tripped you, that Would still be bigoted. Quite easily/solidly/Well into bigot country.
Obvious to just about anyone else anyway.
The rest of your post is just about as Wrong.
Really, when it comes to Jews, your posts are Ridiculous.
It's so off/Bizarre, it's clearly not even correctable.

I don't see things that way.

If someone offended you, you are well in your rights to use anything as ammunition against him.

Like if a midget would try and attack you, just because he's a midget doesn't mean you have to get on your knees to fight him fairly.
So if a jew would trip you (ofc, this was a silly example) or does anything vs you, you are well within your rights to use any and all ammunition against him. Just like against anyone else.

To put it in a context you'd see fitting.
If you had a french friend and you'd be walking down the street, and you'd get ambushed by some people. Your french friend would just surrender instead of trying to help you, you'd be well within your rights to use anything you can against him for the rest of his life. "cheese eating surrender monkey" comes to mind. Normally, that would be a very offensive and bigoted statement, but since you are well within your rights to use it, it's not.

Christians woriship the Jews because they claim....their God was a Jew.
And the Jews ....they reject that foolishness ...totally.

So tell me ...if the atheist is going to hell....according to Christian theory....won't the Jews be in hell as well?

christians dont worship jews. thats some american crap the rest of the planet thinks is nuts.

I don't see things that way.

If someone offended you, you are well in your rights to use anything as ammunition against him.

Like if a midget would try and attack you, just because he's a midget doesn't mean you have to get on your knees to fight him fairly.
So if a jew would trip you (ofc, this was a silly example) or does anything vs you, you are well within your rights to use any and all ammunition against him. Just like against anyone else.

To put it in a context you'd see fitting.
If you had a french friend and you'd be walking down the street, and you'd get ambushed by some people. Your french friend would just surrender instead of trying to help you, you'd be well within your rights to use anything you can against him for the rest of his life. "cheese eating surrender monkey" comes to mind. Normally, that would be a very offensive and bigoted statement, but since you are well within your rights to use it, it's not.

im not sure if that would stand up in court. aggravated racism? you might get done for pissing everyone else off.

im not sure if that would stand up in court. aggravated racism? you might get done for pissing everyone else off.

Well obviously this isn't a case that is to be discussed in court. A midget won't attack you in court nor will a jew trip as you walk in court.

Again, if someone offended you, it isn't bigotry to use anything you can to attack them should you desire to do so. It's only bigotry if you started it unprovoked.

Well obviously this isn't a case that is to be discussed in court. A midget won't attack you in court nor will a jew trip as you walk in court.

Again, if someone offended you, it isn't bigotry to use anything you can to attack them should you desire to do so. It's only bigotry if you started it unprovoked.

this place is a right wing think tank.,

this place is a right wing think tank.,

Everything is a right-wing think tank to people who consider the DU to be a centrist site.

Of course it is. Like Muslims, there are many Jews all over the world living all kinds of lives and holding a wide variety of viewpoints.

Criticizing the Israeli government or the USA's support of Israel, is not, in itself, bigoted, despite the claims of some staunch pro-Israel advocates. Often criticism of Israel is motivated by bigotry, but not usually. Israel has earned much of the criticism. (and of course its OK to criticize the Palestinian organizations also)

Last edited:

Everything is a right-wing think tank to people who consider the DU to be a centrist site.

I dont even know what that is. The rest of the planet thinks you are nuts, and you are full of lies and double standards. Hows that.

I dont even know what that is. The rest of the planet thinks you are nuts, and you are full of lies and double standards. Hows that.

It's another website and one you'd find very much to your liking, I think.

Of course it is. Like Muslims, there are many Jews all over the world living all kinds of lives and holding a wide variety of viewpoints.

Criticizing the Israeli government or the USA's support of Israel, is not, in itself, bigoted, despite the claims of some staunch pro-Israel advocates. Sometimes criticism of Israel is motivated by bigotry, but not usually, Israel has earned much of the criticism. (and of course its OK to criticize the Palestinian organizations also)

I agree. As long as it's a sane criticism and not the absurd stuff that belongs in the conspiracy theory forum, there's no reason to assume that criticisms of any culture are bigotted. They could be, though, and there does come a point where it's easy enough to see whether it's ignorance and bigotry or intellectually honest criticism.

It's another website and one you'd find very much to your liking, I think.

Whats it actually called? All im getting on google is web du bois.

I agree. As long as it's a sane criticism and not the absurd stuff that belongs in the conspiracy theory forum, there's no reason to assume that criticisms of any culture are bigotted. They could be, though, and there does come a point where it's easy enough to see whether it's ignorance and bigotry or intellectually honest criticism.

you live in a nation of 5% of planet earth, at odds with the rest of the planet and drunk out of its mind on double standards and lies.

i dont think you represent the moral arbiter or "intellectually honest"

Back
Top Bottom