• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Lindsey Graham right that someone should Assassinate Pooten?

Is Lindsey Graham right that someone should Assassinate Pooten?

• Yes, Assassination is the only way to stop a madman such as Pooten.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • No, Assassination will only throw Russia into Chaos & possibly someone worse will take over.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Maybe, It appears Pooten has his eye on world domination.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No, Pooten is responding to valid threats, from having a democracy right next door.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Lindsey Graham is likely to oppose his own statement before you know it.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • How about Seal Team 6?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, explain.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Russia is only responding to the Nazi's next door.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jpevans

Masshole
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Is Lindsey Graham right that someone should Assassinate Pooten? While it may be the only way to stop the madman, he's calling on Russians to do the dirty. How easy is it for Russians to get near him? I'm sure he has a food taster.

I must admit, I've thought it more than once. When one man is killing this many people, and ruining this many lives I'm sure it crosses a lot of peoples minds. I don't blame him for saying it.

Is Lindsey Graham right that someone should Assassinate Pooten? While it may be the only way to stop the madman, he's calling on Russians to do the dirty. How easy is it for Russians to get near him? I'm sure he has a food taster.

Since John McCain died who pays any attention to Lindsey Graham?

I voted "Mabye" and that Graham will oppose his statement. Graham will say whatever he thinks will get him re-elected.

As far as killing Putin, unfortunately, it does seem like the only way to stop him is to kill him..... but he did talk to Israel... I don't know.

It is interesting how for many lobbing shells into city neighborhoods is seen as just part of war, but somehow targeting the man responsible for ordering such attacks can be considered out of bounds. I think it’s safe to say that the Geneva Convention wasn’t signed by the average person on the street scrambling for cover.

FWIW, I don’t think third-party observers/peacemakers of a war ought to be in the game of deciding which side’s leader is best to assassinate, but in this case were I a leader in the Ukraine, picking off Putin would absolutely be in play. The risk is, of course, the potential for extreme retaliation by a nuclear-tipped Russia out for revenge.

I think we should stop with this 'assassinate Putin' business. Lindsey Graham was way out of line to make a public statement like that, but being Lindsey, we Americans roll our eyes. Russia may have a different attitude toward remarks like that. That's not just 'Death to Americans' type screeching. It is focused, widespread internet chatter to assassinate their head of state. I've never seen anything like it. We need to be better. (At least keep those thoughts to ourselves.)

It is interesting how for many lobbing shells into city neighborhoods is seen as just part of war, but somehow targeting the man responsible for ordering such attacks can be considered out of bounds. I think it’s safe to say that the Geneva Convention wasn’t signed by the average person on the street scrambling for cover.

FWIW, I don’t think third-party observers/peacemakers of a war ought to be in the game of deciding which side’s leader is best to assassinate, but in this case were I a leader in the Ukraine, picking off Putin would absolutely be in play. The risk is, of course, the potential for extreme retaliation by a nuclear-tipped Russia out for revenge.
Isn't Putin trying to kill (assassinate) Zelenskyy? I don't see why Putin shouldn't be a target.

Foreign Policy ain't my strong suit, but from my couch it seems that Pooten is totally in the wrong here & is just trying to expand the new Russian Federation. He comes across as irrational & possibly insane. It also seems that he's the only one who really wants the total destruction of the infrastructure of Ukraine. This doesn't seem too far out of line, "Is there a Brutus in Russia? Is there a more successful Colonel Stauffenberg in the Russian military?" Maybe as a Senator it's strong, but what else besides total war with a nuclear power or leaving Ukraine on their own?

No. Despite any sentiments in that direction, the assassination of a foreign head of state is, and always has been an unabashedly poor idea for a host of legitimate reasons.

Smart people simply don't go there - and once Graham is told 3 or 4 times how stupid a statement that was, he'll likely change his mind, again.

No. Despite any sentiments in that direction, the assassination of a foreign head of state is, and always has been an unabashedly poor idea for a host of legitimate reasons.

Smart people simply don't go there - and once Graham is told 3 or 4 times how stupid a statement that was, he'll likely change his mind, again.
Not openly, no. However, a CIA plot to assassinate Castro was revealed and that order probably came from Kennedy. It's almost a certainty that every country at war has had plans on the table to assassinate the respective leaders of the opposition. Putin most likely has it in mind. But you're right in that if the leader is popular the citizens will not look kindly on it. Depends on the country.

Lindsey is looking to the Russian people to do the deed. There is strong opposition to the war in Russia, I doubt any citizen can get within striking distance of the Boogyman, but knowing how he's hated by his own people ain't helping with his paranoia, I'm sure.

Not openly, no. However, a CIA plot to assassinate Castro was revealed and that order probably came from Kennedy. It's almost a certainty that every country at war has had plans on the table to assassinate the respective leaders of the opposition. Putin most likely has it in mind. But you're right in that if the leader is popular the citizens will not look kindly on it. Depends on the country.
Agreed. And on the battlefield, for instance, it's the generals (or kings, as in times way way passed) that were primary targets.

However as an example, Kennedy took a fair amount of heat (and his decision is still taking it, historically) for that decision.

My point is that it's an incredibly poor precedent to be setting for any country to be assassinating the head of its rival, or be found out that it directly supported same. Things can get out of hand instantly from sheer emotion alone.

Lindsey is looking to the Russian people to do the deed. There is strong opposition to the war in Russia, I doubt any citizen can get within striking distance of the Boogyman, but knowing how he's hated by his own people ain't helping with his paranoia, I'm sure.
Well, it's one thing for a foreign power to assassinate the leader of a rival - which is my point here (not a wise step to take); but it's another for it to happen from within.

And you're right - the very fact that there are some, like our genius of a global strategist in Graham (not), who are opening the door to even discussing it has to be affecting his sleep these nights, for sure. ;)

It has always been taboo. No leader really wants to open that box of worms. Open season on whatever leader your country disagrees with?

Granted a lot of the world's problems could be solved by removing these power mad individuals from power.

That would be a pretty long list.

Agreed. And on the battlefield, for instance, it's the generals (or kings, as in times way way passed) that were primary targets.

However as an example, Kennedy took a fair amount of heat (and his decision is still taking it, historically) for that decision.

My point is that it's an incredibly poor precedent to be setting for any country to be assassinating the head of its rival, or be found out that it directly supported same. Things can get out of hand instantly from sheer emotion alone.
I see your point but I wonder how many lives could have been saved if Hitler had been taken out earlier in the war? At some point Hitler's generals realized they were losing but Hitler plowed on.

I see your point. I would make an exception for a leader committing war crimes. Not sure how that would be sanctioned though.

I see your point but I wonder how many lives could have been saved if Hitler had been taken out earlier in the war? A some point Hitler's generals realized they were losing but Hitler plowed on.
Exactly. The thought is mind boggling. I don't even think that Pooten has the support of his people that Hitler had.

I see your point but I wonder how many lives could have been saved if Hitler had been taken out earlier in the war? At some point Hitler's generals realized they were losing but Hitler plowed on.
I know - and I thought about him. Maybe if the leader has made himself so loathed and hated by most nations - as Hitler certainly did, that that would be an exception to the general rule. And truthfully, it wasn't just his generals who were gunning for him, the United States had him in their sights too, as did Churchill and Stalin. I think in a situation like that, when a head of state makes himself an enemy of EVERY nation it becomes an entirely different story. ;)

Exactly. The thought is mind boggling. I don't even think that Pooten has the support of his people that Hitler had.
But Hitler had several attempts on his life from his own side that failed.

Back
Top Bottom