• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Lindsey Graham right that someone should Assassinate Pooten?

Is Lindsey Graham right that someone should Assassinate Pooten?

• Yes, Assassination is the only way to stop a madman such as Pooten.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • No, Assassination will only throw Russia into Chaos & possibly someone worse will take over.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Maybe, It appears Pooten has his eye on world domination.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No, Pooten is responding to valid threats, from having a democracy right next door.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Lindsey Graham is likely to oppose his own statement before you know it.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • How about Seal Team 6?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, explain.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Russia is only responding to the Nazi's next door.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I must admit, I've thought it more than once. When one man is killing this many people, and ruining this many lives I'm sure it crosses a lot of peoples minds. I don't blame him for saying it.

Some things you just don't say out loud. As JBB stated, this serves as nothing more than propaganda for the Russians. Honestly, Lindsey should be censured for his comments.

Some things you just don't say out loud. As JBB stated, this serves as nothing more than propaganda for the Russians. Honestly, Lindsey should be censured for his comments.
You're of course correct, but man, Putin is on the number one hated list right now.

If there was, you'd have broke it. My position is we don't have a dog in this hunt, in the very least, until Europe steps up and throws money and bodies at the situation. The time for the US to carry the financial burden and blood sacrifice for the rest of the worlds security needs to stop.
I would tend to agree, but how does one turn a blind eye to such terror playing out in real time on the TV?

I would tend to agree, but how does one turn a blind eye to such terror playing out in real time on the TV?
How did the world turn a blind eye to it happening against Yemen from our Saudi Arabian ally? Hell, we sold them the weapons and provided logistic support. Or just the fact that Saudi Arabia competes with NK for the top spot in most oppressive regimes?

US sanctions on Iraq resulted in 500,000 dead Iraqi children.

The list really can go on and on and on...but the result is the same. Outrage is selective in what you're told to be outraged about. But that doesn't change the fact that somehow the US always has to bear the financial and blood cost for the rest of the world. It's not a matter of turning a blind eye, we've been doing that and worse.

You don't think Putin is hated by about just ever nation now? Seriously?
Don’t know, some Americans have been fine with him & his antics. Sorry antics bad choice of words, sounds almost cute. Crimes is more spot on.
Assassination is dangerous foreign policy. We don't wanna open that can of worms.
Okay, Graham is asking for a Russian to do it. It shouldn’t be public policy, I get that. But what democracy lover isn’t thinking it? Even an opponent of capital punishment, like myself. A Russian citizen willing to give his/her life for country & world.
As noted, how much better off the world would have been if Hitler had been eliminated after gene code had become known.

If there was, you'd have broke it. My position is we don't have a dog in this hunt, in the very least, until Europe steps up and throws money and bodies at the situation. The time for the US to carry the financial burden and blood sacrifice for the rest of the worlds security needs to stop.
Do you think that Pooten will be satisfied with Ukraine? Then he’ll be up against NATO’s borders.
Or is the plan to turn Ukraine into an uninhabitable wasteland, like Mordor?

Don’t know, some Americans have been fine with him & his antics. Sorry antics bad choice of words, sounds almost cute. Crimes is more spot on.

Okay, Graham is asking for a Russian to do it. It shouldn’t be public policy, I get that. But what democracy lover isn’t thinking it? Even an opponent of capital punishment, like myself. A Russian citizen willing to give his/her life for country & world.
As noted, how much better off the world would have been if Hitler had been eliminated after gene code had become known.
My phone charged genicide to gene code.

He should have said deposed or impeached, leaving it more open to imagination as to the internal Russian method of accomplishing that.
Its a little late to worry about what Drump’s caddie says.

Is Lindsey Graham right that someone should Assassinate Pooten? While it may be the only way to stop the madman, he's calling on Russians to do the dirty. How easy is it for Russians to get near him? I'm sure he has a food taster.

Lindsey is on target.
I believe a palace coup where Putin is dethroned and arrested is a better alternative to assassination. Although, that option may be the best one on the table.
I cannot believe, in my limited knowledge of Kremlin intrigue, that there would be someone insane enough to rattle nuclear weapons in order to scare the West if Putin was overthrown.

He's right, but you just can't come out and say it.

Lindsey is on target.
I believe a palace coup where Putin is dethroned and arrested is a better alternative to assassination. Although, that option may be the best one on the table.
I cannot believe, in my limited knowledge of Kremlin intrigue, that there would be someone insane enough to rattle nuclear weapons in order to scare the West if Putin was overthrown.

It depends on who's doing the overthrowing - is it coming from within or from outside?

Outrage is selective in what you're told to be outraged about.

Yes, outrage is very selective, and that's because it has to be. We would unravel quickly if we tried to topple every wrong regime on the planet. Our resources and capital are finite. We have to be selective. It's not that what's happening in Yemen or Myanmar are any less outrageous, but they are less important to our bottom line. In an ideal world, there would be regional powers that could help opposing sides reach some sort of truce. Unfortunately, that's often not the case.

But that doesn't change the fact that somehow the US always has to bear the financial and blood cost for the rest of the world. It's not a matter of turning a blind eye, we've been doing that and worse.

Considering that much of America's power as a global colossus is inextricably tied to the power and influence we have in Europe, it's absolutely in our interests to confront Vladimir Putin when he threatens the Continent.

Perhaps, yet you have expressed quite quite a bit of interest in this thread. ;)
Perhaps, because I started it. Linsey has been saying stupid shit forever, it seems. Occasionally I agree with him, as in this instance. Should he have said it, as a U.S. Senator, I'm not sure.
At least nobody vote for Seal Team 6.

Last edited:
Assassination is dangerous foreign policy. We don't wanna open that can of worms.

As the US likes to be seen as the global leader it would seem be be a dangerous position for US politics.

Assassination of a head of state is an act of war, just as shooting down Russian planes would be. However, Ukraine is already at war with Putin and would certainly be justified in using that tactic. Also, any patriotic Russian watching Putin destroy his country would be justified in killing him. The Ribbentropp plotters, though unsuccessful in killing Hitler, are nowadays thought to be admirable individuals for making the effort.

Do you think that Pooten will be satisfied with Ukraine? Then he’ll be up against NATO’s borders.
Or is the plan to turn Ukraine into an uninhabitable wasteland, like Mordor?
Sounds like Europe needs to hop to it.

Yes, outrage is very selective, and that's because it has to be. We would unravel quickly if we tried to topple every wrong regime on the planet. Our resources and capital are finite. We have to be selective. It's not that what's happening in Yemen or Myanmar are any less outrageous, but they are less important to our bottom line. In an ideal world, there would be regional powers that could help opposing sides reach some sort of truce. Unfortunately, that's often not the case.
Did you miss the part where we are literally provided weaponry and logistical support to Saudi Arabia? That they are our allies? That goes well beyond toppling every regime, it's us literally supporting it. I mean, as a very basic baseline, we could've stopped selling them weapons, stopped supporting them logistically, stopped being their ally, and condemned them in no uncertain terms.

But why don't we? Well, the petro dollar has us by the balls and Saudi Arabia is a regional proxy against Iran, which is in turn allied Russia. So we are actually fine with killing and human suffering so long as it benefits us.

Oh...and you left off the 500,000 Iraqi children that died as a result of our sanctions on Iraq, which was actually part of toppling a regime, so that cuts against your comment above as well. It was both mass human suffering AND attempts at regime change.
Considering that much of America's power as a global colossus is inextricably tied to the power and influence we have in Europe, it's absolutely in our interests to confront Vladimir Putin when he threatens the Continent.
So you're saying that if the US didn't provide national security for Europe they would change their alliances to side with Russia? If not, then Europe can throw their money and bodies at the problem first. If it goes south after they have actually committed some sacrifice, then we can look at shoring things up.

We're not talking about overthrowing every piss-ant regime headed by a tyrant.
We're talking about a megalomaniac with nuclear weapons that is changing the balance of peace and global economics in the entire world.

SO I think, by the gist of your second paragraph, the idea of a palace coup (that is on the inside) is the best way to topple Putin.

I'm not an expert on Russian government, but I believe the Duma can effectively oust the president or at the very least remove all presidential powers..but the vote would have to be near unanimous. Whether or not Putin has enough military supporters to resist such a thing, I cant say. Obviously, legally is the best way to remove him. But Russia is being forced headlong into a war that by all accounts is NOT what the people of Russia want. If it has the potential to devastate the country, then perhaps Russians should consider the "by any means necessary" option.

I'm not an expert on Russian government, but I believe the Duma can effectively oust the president or at the very least remove all presidential powers..but the vote would have to be near unanimous. Whether or not Putin has enough military supporters to resist such a thing, I cant say. Obviously, legally is the best way to remove him. But Russia is being forced headlong into a war that by all accounts is NOT what the people of Russia want. If it has the potential to devastate the country, then perhaps Russians should consider the "by any means necessary" option.
Well said.

Back
Top Bottom