• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Joe Biden a decent man?

Is Biden a decent man?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry Turtle, I see nothing wrong with the affection he is showing to his granddaughter. Families have different ways of showing affection. So, I’m sorry but I find this a bit offensive. JS.

I respect your point of view but given his behavior involving other girls, I find it a bit disturbing

I respect your point of view but given his behavior involving other girls, I find it a bit disturbing
Yes I’m aware of those incidences and thought I’d mention them but when it comes to a candidates family and making such crude inferences I think it’s uncalled for. We can destroy the man on his policies alone. We don’t need to malign his relationship with those he loves.

you're lying yet again. Joe Lieberman is anti gun and he is a decent man

I know Joe Lieberman. I met he and his wife at a campaign even for John Kerry in 2004. He was my US Senator for many years. I worked on that campaign for John Kerry. Joe Lieberman only showed his face at this small event because there was press there to steal some of the spotlight.

During his Senate re-election bid in 2006, he lost the Democratic Party primary election, but won re-election in the general election as a third party candidate under the "Connecticut for Lieberman" party label. (yes, really) He remained a registered Democrat while he ran but Lieberman essentially became the Republican candidate and was endorsed by many of them. He returned to the Senate in 2006 as a third party/independent candidate. Lieberman was officially listed in Senate records as an 'Independent Democrat'. After he spoke at the RNC in 2008 endorsing John McCain his affiliation with the Democratic Caucus leadership strategy meeting ended. He was never really a solid Democrat. He campaigned for John McCain in 2008 and was his first choice for VP, he was generally ok with Bush and Cheney at key points, and long continued to back the Iraq War after many others opposed it.

Over the next few years, his approval rating among Republicans soared while his approval among Democrats plummeted. He was barely a Democrat by the time that it came time to vote on the Affordable Care Act. Yes, it is true that he killed the public option as Senator (as he held the deciding vote).

Joe Lieberman is a small, floppy bag of wind.

Yes I’m aware of those incidences and thought I’d mention them but when it comes to a candidates family and making such crude inferences I think it’s uncalled for. We can destroy the man on his policies alone. We don’t need to malign his relationship with those he loves.
Given the amount of grief that the left has given Trump over its misrepresentation about his "dating" his daughter, all is fair now. But you are right, Biden is an awful candidate with awful policies

Given the amount of grief that the left has given Trump over its misrepresentation about his "dating" his daughter, all is fair now. But you are right, Biden is an awful candidate with awful policies
Yes, I’m aware of TDS. I wish they could (was it Michelle Obama or Hillary) follow the advice of “When they go low, we go high.” If they think it’s worthless advice maybe we can make it our own mantra. Worth a try.

I know Joe Lieberman. I met he and his wife at a campaign even for John Kerry in 2004. He was my US Senator for many years. I worked on that campaign for John Kerry. Joe Lieberman only showed his face at this small event because there was press there to steal some of the spotlight.

During his Senate re-election bid in 2006, he lost the Democratic Party primary election, but won re-election in the general election as a third party candidate under the "Connecticut for Lieberman" party label. (yes, really) He remained a registered Democrat while he ran but Lieberman essentially became the Republican candidate and was endorsed by many of them. He returned to the Senate in 2006 as a third party/independent candidate. Lieberman was officially listed in Senate records as an 'Independent Democrat'. After he spoke at the RNC in 2008 endorsing John McCain his affiliation with the Democratic Caucus leadership strategy meeting ended. He was never really a solid Democrat. He campaigned for John McCain in 2008 and was his first choice for VP, he was generally ok with Bush and Cheney at key points, and long continued to back the Iraq War after many others opposed it.

Over the next few years, his approval rating among Republicans soared while his approval among Democrats plummeted. He was barely a Democrat by the time that it came time to vote on the Affordable Care Act. Yes, it is true that he killed the public option as Senator (as he held the deciding vote).

Joe Lieberman is a small, floppy bag of wind.

More proof he is a fine man. In 1979-80, one of my suitemates was an Orthodox Jewish fellow. There was a Kosher Kitchen that was part of the Yale Dining plan. Adam was Kosher and always ate there. He was head of the group that managed it. It was not in one of the 12 residential colleges but near Pierson college and where the Yale Political Union offices was. I was an officer of the YPU and the area above it could be a little sketchy: Adam was a slightly built man. So sometimes he would invite me to join him at the KK for dinner. Joe Lieberman was a state senator in New Haven. He was a graduate of the college and the law school and he often ate at the KK. So I got to know him. We would argue about gun control and other things-but he was an honorable man. I registered to vote in New haven for the 1980 election and ran Ed Clark's campaign for President but I voted for Lieberman (even though he was upset by the Republican)

I saw another poster's signature which had one of YOUR posts as that member's sig. In that post, you profess ---> " I don't care if a young male gropes a 15 year old teenage girl AS LONG AS THERE IS NO PHYSICAL HARM." <--- One can only wonder how many here at DP would find a former federal prosecutor who makes such an unsolicited proclamation 'disturbing.' Which beckons the question: Just where do you , as a prosecutor, personally draw the line as to how severe the 'physical harm' must be before that physical harm inflicted by the male aggressor becomes a criminal act, and said perp should be prosecuted per the law, and you decide to 'care' for the transgressed victim?

Last edited:
The OP is a HUGE Trump supporter. It's amazing what they'll post.

Nope.
Even the National Shooting Sports Foundation loves him.
You’re busted yet again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...-target/e5a1cb20-72a9-4eff-8e7f-98bd273f4ed3/

remind me how the NRA rated the Gore/Lieberman ticket. and I was talking when I met him and dealt with him. Your attempt to award yourself a win has failed. from Wiki

Lieberman received an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association and a 90% from the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence.

He has, however, done some things designed to keep major gun makers in his home state happy-which makes sense since they are union labor.

This is a simple question that I hope will elicit a good discussion. Is Joe Biden a decent man?

The question is NOT an assessment of his professional life; whether he is a good president or a good businessman. This is a question of character: Is Joe Biden a good human being?

Now I realize that is vague, but that intentional. I do hope we get into a discussion of what is decency, what it means to be a decent man, what it means if he is not a decent human, and what it means on questions of his fitness for office. If you think he is not a decent man, could you vote for him as POTUS? If so, how do your defend that position?

So I ask, Is Joe Biden a decent man? If you answered, you are on the record. Please elaborate (and, as with any good debate, be prepared to support your position)

It may just be possible to judge whether someone that one has known personally for years is 'decent'. But certainly not when the only information one has has come through the distorting lens of the media or the bias of political allies and opponents.

Biden is obviously a decent person who has made mistakes in the past and learned from them, which I think essentially describes pretty much all of us who aren't horrible people.

Yes, Bernie held all the correct positions before they were cool, but that's pretty damn rare. If what you end up with is a basically decent person who learns, then that's a perfectly fine person to side with, and that's a hell of a lot better than somebody who lied to the American people and allowed a virus to kill 200,000 Americans (roughly half a million when he finally leaves office).

Last edited:
Biden is obviously a decent person who has made mistakes in the past and learned from them, which I think essentially describes pretty much all of us who aren't horrible people.

Yes, Bernie held all the correct positions before they were cool, but that's pretty damn rare. If what you end up with is a basically decent person who learns, then that's a perfectly fine person to side with, and that's a hell of a lot better than somebody who lied to the American people and allowed a virus to kill 200,000 Americans (roughly half a million when he finally leaves office).

By 1987, Biden understood fully that politics is the art of the possible. After Bork, Biden understood he could not help Anita Hill, and the democrats had to relearn that lesson, the hard way, in the recent failed attempt to deny Judge Kavanaugh his "rightful" place on the SCOTUS...

If you recall, after Anita Hill claimed Clarence Thomas first harassed her, sexually, she still used her association with Thomas to
attempt to advance her career. This certainly diminished what she was providing Biden to work with in the senate judiciary committee.

Anita Hill - Wikipedia

.....When questioned on why she followed Thomas to the second job after he had already allegedly harassed her, she said working in a reputable position within the civil rights field had been her ambition. The position was appealing enough to inhibit her from going back into private practice with her previous firm. She said that she only realized later in her life that the choice had represented poor judgment on her part, but that "at that time, it appeared that the sexual overtures ... had ended."[4][15]

Anita Hill willing to overlook Biden '''mistakes,''' vote for him despite their troubled history | Fox News
Fox News
Anita Hill willing to overlook Biden 'mistakes,' vote for him despite their troubled history
Anita Hill, who accused Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment nearly three decades ago, said she is willing to ...
4 days ago

Remember that Eisenhower appointed Earl Warren to the SCOTUS, before right wing oligarchs discovered that, if they "invested enough", teaming with RW evangelical pastors, especially after civil rights and voting rights legislation and Roe v. Wade, they could indoctrinate (radicalize) republican voters, especially primary voters, into enabling the relief of a hefty chunk of the oligarchs' tax burden.

Biden and the Supreme Court | The New Yorker
By Jeffrey Toobin
October 13, 2015
...Biden’s leadership of the hearings regarding President Reagan’s nomination of Robert Bork to the Supreme Court is another matter entirely—with different stakes and consequences. In 1987, Reagan was still popular, and Bork had a distinguished résumé, as a former Yale law professor, Solicitor General, and judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. As Senator Ted Kennedy pointed out in a searing attack on Bork on the day of his nomination, Bork was also a thoroughgoing reactionary, who had dedicated his career to opposing civil rights and women’s rights. The outcome of the nomination could have gone either way.

Biden eschewed Kennedy’s heated rhetoric about Bork, but the chairman used the confirmation hearings to conduct a meticulous dissection of the nominee’s record as a scholar and judge. Biden called Laurence Tribe, the Harvard law professor, as a witness, to explain how far out of the mainstream Bork’s views were, and how perilous his confirmation would be for the Court and the country. The hearings mobilized popular opinion against Bork, and the Judiciary Committee voted against him by nine to five, and the Senate rejected him, fifty-eight to forty-two...

Last edited:
Biden is obviously a decent person who has made mistakes in the past and learned from them

A decent person doesn’t lose his temper at hard working Americans and call them “Full if S—-“.

Or yell at town hall questioners and call them fat.

A decent person doesn’t aggressively assault women.

A decent person doesn’t state that he doesn’t want his kids growing up in a racial jungle. And doesn’t purposely slur his words when talking to members of a certain ethnic group.

A decent person doesn’t meet a lighter skinned black American and state that he is the first clean looking black American he’s met. And doesn’t hold some kind of a stereotype in his head that all rich kids are white.

Most importantly, a decent person doesn’t try to hide from the public, in order to cover for dementia issues, and try mislead people into thinking he’s something he’s not.

Last edited:
I’m not saying Trump is perfect either, but Joe is s far cry from a “decent person”.

Well, Biden and Trump are the two candidates this November. If "losing one's temper" is the metric, then Trump loses in that comparison.

Well, Biden and Trump are the two candidates this November. If "losing one's temper" is the metric, then Trump loses in that comparison.

When Trump loses his temper, he doesn’t tend to cuss people out. He vents on Twitter instead. Or makes a snappy comment and walks away.

Joe gets right in people’s faces and looks like he’s about to throw a punch.

When Trump loses his temper, he doesn’t tend to cuss people out. He vents on Twitter instead. Or makes a snappy comment and walks away.

Joe gets right in people’s faces and looks like he’s about to throw a punch.

If swearing is the metric, then Trump loses in that comparison.

a decent person doesn’t lose his temper at hard working americans and call them “full if s—-“.

Or yell at town hall questioners and call them fat.

A decent person doesn’t aggressively assault women.

A decent person doesn’t state that he doesn’t want his kids growing up in a racial jungle. And doesn’t purposely slur his words when talking to members of a certain ethnic group.

A decent person doesn’t meet a lighter skinned black american and state that he is the first clean looking black american he’s met. And doesn’t hold some kind of a stereotype in his head that all rich kids are white.

Most importantly, a decent person doesn’t try to hide from the public, in order to cover for dementia issues, and try mislead people into thinking he’s something he’s not.

otoh....

[h=3]the 25 women who have accused trump of sexual misconduct[/h]www.businessinsider.com › politics › news

may 1, 2020 - here are all of the allegations of sexual misconduct made against president donald trump, nearly all of which he has denied.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../25/did-donald-trump-really-say-those-things/
fact checker
did donald trump really say those things?

By glenn kessler
the fact checker
july 25, 2016 at 3:00 a.m. Edt
add to list

donald trump’s long history of making controversial statements is catnip for opposition researchers, because an attack ad can simply use the gop presidential nominee’s voice.

In an ad released by a super pac affiliated with emily’s list, ordinary americans are asked to read trump’s statements. many refuse, although they later show the cards with the quotes to the camera. this is an effective way of demonstrating how objectionable trump’s statements may be to certain voters, but it also allows the ad makers to show one provocative quote — “laziness is a trait in blacks” — for which there is no actual recording; it is a secondhand quote attributed to trump by a former employee.

as a reader service, we will explain where these quotes come from. Only one quote was actually made during the current campaign season; the rest come from trump’s past, from as long as 27 years ago. Obviously, it is up to readers to decide whether these remarks are appropriate — or relevant to the pursuit of the presidency.....

Last edited:

Lol I could see this coming a mile away.

If Joe were truly a decent man, you would be able to defend the fact that he was a decent man.

Rather than shifting the topic towards Trump. ;)

Lol I could see this coming a mile away.

If Joe were truly a decent man, you would be able to defend the fact that he was a decent man.

Rather than shifting the topic towards Trump. ;)

I get it... you have absolutely nothing to work with, but you think you deserve an "A, for effort"!

Michigan coronavirus unemployment, map, curve, COVID-19 updates | Bridge Michigan
Michigan Health Watch
Coronavirus Tracker | State logs highest number of cases since Aug. 15
Posted on: September 10, 2020....

Donald Trump Freeland, MI Campaign Rally Speech Transcript September 10 - Rev
Sep 10, 2020

Donald Trump Freeland, MI Campaign Rally Speech Transcript September 10
...Donald J. Trump: (15:42)
The left wants to get rid of me so they can come after you. It’s very simple. ...

....Donald J. Trump: (16:56).... By the way, I think the vaccine is going to come very soon, going to come very soon. With it or without it, we’re rounding the turn. You see what’s happening. You see the numbers are plunging. You see how good we’re doing relative to other countries and other parts of the world, but the fake news doesn’t like saying that. They don’t like telling you that.....

'60 Minutes' Interview: What Donald Trump Said About Healthcare
'60 Minutes' Interview: What Donald Trump Said About Healthcare
Nov 14, 2016,12:06am EST
Bruce Y. Lee Senior Contributor
Healthcare

.....Lesley Stahl: Let me ask you about Obamacare, which you say you’re going to repeal and replace. When you replace it, are you going to make sure that people with pre-conditions are still covered?

Donald Trump: Yes. Because it happens to be one of the strongest assets.

Stahl: You’re going to keep that?

Trump: Also, with the children living with their parents for an extended period, we’re gonna--

Stahl: You’re gonna keep that--

Trump: Very much try and keep that. Adds cost, but it’s very much something we’re going to try and keep.

Stahl: And there’s going to be a period if you repeal it and before you replace it, when millions of people could lose -– no?

Trump: No, we’re going to do it simultaneously. It’ll be just fine. We’re not going to have, like, a two-day period and we’re not going to have a two-year period where there’s nothing. It will be repealed and replaced. And we’ll know. And it’ll be great healthcare for much less money. So it’ll be better healthcare, much better, for less money. Not a bad combination....

Trump vows '''phenomenal''' new health care plan - ABC News
abcnews.go.com › Politics › story

Jun 17, 2019 - ABC News' George Stephanopoulos talks with President Donald Trump at the White House in Washington, June 12, 2019.

Back to the future: Trump's history of promising a health plan that never comes
Back to the future: Trump's history of promising a health plan ...
Aug 16, 2020 - Top health insurance executives meet with President Donald Trump in ... Stephanopoulos asked if he was going to tell people what the plan ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom