• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it time to do as they say?

If the GOP wins big in November, should they expand the Supreem Court as Schumer has suggested?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack Fabulous

Friend Zone
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If the Republicans are awarded the political muscle to do so on November 3rd, should they take the advice of some on the left and expand the SCOTUS to 13 or even 15 justices?

If the Republicans are awarded the political muscle to do so on November 3rd, should they take the advice of some on the left and expand the SCOTUS to 13 or even 15 justices?

And when does it stop?

13?...15?....17?...19?....21?

Does each new administration keep adding until they get the rulings they like?

No, I could argue that 9 is already too much. I can see 7 or even 5.

And when does it stop?

Excellent question. I'm guessing the tit for tat would go on for generations, though.

It would be an interesting fight to observe, but I would say no. Then they usually don’t listen to me.

Man, would that be dumping all over Chucky? I'm not sure the ironic "F you, Chucky" is worth it, however.

And when does it stop?

Does each new administration keep adding until they get the rulings they like?

The composition of the court has gone from 6 (1789) to 7 (1807) to 9 (1837) to 10 (1863) down to 7 (1866) and back up to 9 (1868). It’s not unprecedented and it stops when Congress says it does.

If the GOP wins big in November, should they expand the Supreem Court as Schumer has suggested?

Is the Supreem Court a competing court like the XFL or ABA? If so, I would vote that they should get to choose the names for their jerseys, and maybe even red, white, and blue gavels.

No.

The Democrats are going to hurt themselves dearly for this "We wanna pack the SC!" BS, so let 'em. No need to pull the same shit. Let those retards bury themselves.

Man, would that be dumping all over Chucky? I'm not sure the ironic "F you, Chucky" is worth it, however.
It would be entertaining as hell but I would be dead set against it.

If the Senate confirms a Trump nominee and Trump loses the election, I think it's pretty safe to say that Chuck and Nancy will be putting forth a few interesting ideas, though.

Is the Supreem Court a competing court like the XFL or ABA? If so, I would vote that they should get to choose the names for their jerseys, and maybe even red, white, and blue gavels.
DOH!!!

It would be entertaining as hell but I would be dead set against it.

If the Senate confirms a Trump nominee and Trump loses the election, I think it's pretty safe to say that Chuck and Nancy will be putting forth a few interesting ideas, though.

I think term limits would be a better idea; and I think the Senate and Congress should lead by example.

The composition of the court has gone from 6 (1789) to 7 (1807) to 9 (1837) to 10 (1863) down to 7 (1866) and back up to 9 (1868). It’s not unprecedented and it stops when Congress says it does.
I did not know the history of the number of Supremes. But I think 9 is a good number. I would, however, be in favor of (a longish) term limit and having them staggered so each term president could select one.

No, expanding the court will be the Democrats' retaliation for the GOP's brazen hypocrisy in stealing a seat from Obama. The GOP wants to play rough, the Democrats should too.

No.

The Democrats are going to hurt themselves dearly for this "We wanna pack the SC!" BS, so let 'em. No need to pull the same shit. Let those retards bury themselves.
Hurt themselves how? By restoring a sane majority to SCOTUS? Protecting a woman's right to choose? Preventing millions of people from being thrown off their health insurance?

Oh, please save me from this terrible fate! 😄

I think term limits would be a better idea; and I think the Senate and Congress should lead by example.
I completely agree with you that Congress should have them, but the SC justices should not be pressured by it.

no and either should the Dems

Why wait? Since the idiot leftists in the senate have threatened it, Trump should announce his nomination and the Senate Re[publicans should as for 2 more nominees immediately. Not enough? OK...5. Why wait til the idiot leftists can manipulate the system since they are declaring their intent.

Excellent question. I'm guessing the tit for tat would go on for generations, though.

Let it. It's time for a constitutional amendment to term limit SCOTUS justices and allow each president only two nominations per term (except to fill vacancies for the remainder of a justice's term).

Why wait? Since the idiot leftists in the senate have threatened it, Trump should announce his nomination and the Senate Re[publicans should as for 2 more nominees immediately. Not enough? OK...5. Why wait til the idiot leftists can manipulate the system since they are declaring their intent.

Congress would have to pass a bill expanding the size of the Court first.

Let it. It's time for a constitutional amendment to term limit SCOTUS justices and allow each president only two nominations per term (except to fill vacancies for the remainder of a justice's term).
Why not just have them run for the position and let voters decide?

I think term limits for SCOTUS would only ensure that the most partisan of judges are ever nominated.

Bad idea, IMO.

I'm fine with 13, but if some people freak out because 13 is an "unlucky number" then I could tolerate 15.

Last edited:

You need the standard legislative process to expand the court.

Back
Top Bottom