• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it time for parents to be held responsible?

This is such a tragic story . . .

Two teens charged with murder of Australian college baseball player

I don't know what kind of supervision these kids had . . . whether they had involved parents or not . . . whether their parents had tried to get them help if they had previous records. I don't know a whole damned lot here.

But I know this is tragic. And these kinds of shootings happen all too frequently.

Should parents be held culpable in some way when their kids break the law if it can be shown they acted negligently as parents?

No, definitely not. At the end of the day those teens knew it was wrong.

I'm not sure. Each case would be different. And maybe most of the time parents aren't culpable. But let's say this: The shooter is driving a car provided by the parents. He used a gun available at his parents' home. He has a juvie record. Neighbors testify he's often out at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning. He dropped out of school. Cops search his room in the course of the investigation into this crime and find a stash of drugs. Neighbors testify that, while his parents are out, he has kids over for drunken parties. Cops have been called to his home a number of times.

Is a parent wrong to enable a teenager like this? Should they have sought help for him? Made sure he was properly supervised? Reported him out after curfew if they couldn't handle him? Gotten him counseling? Taken away his car? Made sure he didn't have illegal drugs in their home? A gun stash?

As I write this, I realize how difficult it would be. But I know that many parents enable their wild-childs. That they just don't give a damn.

*shrug*

Nothing that you listed would be probable cause to charge for anything.

'Enabling' is not illegal.

So now you champion writing new laws, very vaguely, to make enabling a crime?

This is such a tragic story . . .

Two teens charged with murder of Australian college baseball player

I don't know what kind of supervision these kids had . . . whether they had involved parents or not . . . whether their parents had tried to get them help if they had previous records. I don't know a whole damned lot here.

But I know this is tragic. And these kinds of shootings happen all too frequently.

Should parents be held culpable in some way when their kids break the law if it can be shown they acted negligently as parents?

I understand the sentiment, but I would have to say 'no' as well.

Maybe if we gave parents back the full right to BE parents...

Back
Top Bottom