• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it time for gay pride parades to take it down a notch in general?

tererun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
First off, I love the GLBT community and I want gays to be out in public. Yes, I want an adult alternative for people to participate in. So hear me out before freaking out. In the past the gay pride parade needed to be in your face. It needed a brash we are here and queer and it is not going away attitude. Also, it was one of very few outlets which means all types were there and there was no good alternative for an adult thing. I guess this also would overlap on adult entertainment in straight society also. Some people want there to be more adult venues and it seems there is becoming a demand for kids free locations that are not just clubs or bars. That probably plays in here also.

Is it time to maybe make pride parades a bit more PG while expanding new venues for the adult exploration of adult gay life? In this aspect gays seem to be making the second half of that happen a lot more than straight people. I know of a few Adult gay celebrations on private lands and where kids are restricted that go on. There are a number of adult conventions that I know about many of which are heavily gay and alternate sexuality. This seems to be a great way to do things so you can tone down the pride events while promoting the adult events at something that draws a larger crowd. I have noticed a few of my gay friends who have now started to shy away from adult celebrations because they have children. There should be pride events that children of both gay and straight people can go to without getting a dick in their kid's face. perhaps the public nudity displays should not be holding up traffic for everyone. I don't want to see neked women or men lovin it up in the middle of the street while I have to get to work. I can understand that view.

Should the gay community be moving towards a more family oriented pride now that they are breaking through?

We need to move towards a community where there is no reason for such displays because homosexuality is normalized.

As is, the more outrageous edge of these parades only reinforces all the worst stereotypes of gay people to those who are already predisposed towards homophobia. You might as well have Jewish pride parades with people dressed up as money grubbers, Muslim pride parades made up of terrorists or Latino pride parades where all the women are pregnant and looking to give birth to an anchor baby.

Responsible people looking to increase awareness rein it in. Irresponsible people trying to shock don't. The latter ruin it for the former, as all people will see is that which reinforces their worst fears. .

This is an odd thought. First off, not all gay pride parades are the same. Some are very tame. Of those that are not, I have to ask when anyone has asked for the good ol' heterosexuals at Spring Break parades to "tone it down".

I think that edge Gardener has talked about has seriously eroded over the past few decades, as homosexuality became more openly discussed and inclusive of Americans living any assortment of lifestyles. I don't really know if that much more even needs to be done. I think the community itself has had a good series of discussions within itself, even though issues remain.

The only pride parade I have been to was really tame. Judging by what everyone always says about pride parades, I was expecting all kinds of craziness. I even went and picked up my son to take to the after events after I saw how family friendly it was.

I think the "in you face" aspect may be more prevalent in other areas.

This is an odd thought. First off, not all gay pride parades are the same. Some are very tame. Of those that are not, I have to ask when anyone has asked for the good ol' heterosexuals at Spring Break parades to "tone it down".

no such thing as a Spring Break parade.... there's no such ting as a hetero pride parade either ( in the US anyways.)
( they would be stupid if they existed)

and yes, gay pride parades need to be toned down.... they're stupid to begin with

We need to move towards a community where there is no reason for such displays because homosexuality is normalized.

As is, the more outrageous edge of these parades only reinforces all the worst stereotypes of gay people to those who are already predisposed towards homophobia. You might as well have Jewish pride parades with people dressed up as money grubbers, Muslim pride parades made up of terrorists or Latino pride parades where all the women are pregnant and looking to give birth to an anchor baby.

Responsible people looking to increase awareness rein it in. Irresponsible people trying to shock don't. The latter ruin it for the former, as all people will see is that which reinforces their worst fears. .

I think gay pride parades should continue to include the outrageous folks until people stop saying that their inclusion "perpetuates stereotypes". People need to learn you don't get to paint everyone with the same brush, no matter how outlandish the example. Then, the outrageous can go be quiet somewhere.

Soooo... The OP is basically suggesting that more traditional pride parades be replaced with giant gay orgy parades? wtf.gif

I fail to see how that would accomplish much of anything productive. It would simply turn off moderates, while sending traditionalists into apoplectic fits of rage.

It would lead to public backlash, not acceptance.

First off, I love the GLBT community and I want gays to be out in public. Yes, I want an adult alternative for people to participate in. So hear me out before freaking out. In the past the gay pride parade needed to be in your face. It needed a brash we are here and queer and it is not going away attitude. Also, it was one of very few outlets which means all types were there and there was no good alternative for an adult thing. I guess this also would overlap on adult entertainment in straight society also. Some people want there to be more adult venues and it seems there is becoming a demand for kids free locations that are not just clubs or bars. That probably plays in here also.

Is it time to maybe make pride parades a bit more PG while expanding new venues for the adult exploration of adult gay life? In this aspect gays seem to be making the second half of that happen a lot more than straight people. I know of a few Adult gay celebrations on private lands and where kids are restricted that go on. There are a number of adult conventions that I know about many of which are heavily gay and alternate sexuality. This seems to be a great way to do things so you can tone down the pride events while promoting the adult events at something that draws a larger crowd. I have noticed a few of my gay friends who have now started to shy away from adult celebrations because they have children. There should be pride events that children of both gay and straight people can go to without getting a dick in their kid's face. perhaps the public nudity displays should not be holding up traffic for everyone. I don't want to see neked women or men lovin it up in the middle of the street while I have to get to work. I can understand that view.

Should the gay community be moving towards a more family oriented pride now that they are breaking through?

You make some good points.

well not all gay pride parades are extreme, the ones i went to i saw nothign "crazy" and ive seen more things that push the limits at public Halloween parties, festivals.

Most certainly more at madi gras, spring break etc etc

Yes there are extreme (IMO) gay parades but it is what it is. If its once a year or a celebration then so be it, not any different than many other celebrations.

Some of these parades do push the stereotype of the fallacy "gay agenda" and "gay lifestyles" so you could argue its counter productive but at the same time only an idiot would base a parade on everybody there or int eh group etc so i see no reason to cater to them.

I dont know tough call.

Also realize just like we have trolls here, theres trolls at those parades, somebody just looking to upset others because they can, they can get away with it, maybe even somebody who has been assaulted, fired, disowend and now they are lashing out. Not saying thats a perfect excuse but one can easily see motivation.

When discriminated against or suppressed sometimes people lash out simply because they can.

Simple example, don King, when asked about his hair he said he wears it like that cause he can, its simple and it pisses people off.
women burning bras etc etc

the number of extreme ones will die down eventually as equal rights wins through out the nation.

I do believe the whole get off my lawn meme was created around that very idea.

The only pride parade I have been to was really tame. Judging by what everyone always says about pride parades, I was expecting all kinds of craziness. I even went and picked up my son to take to the after events after I saw how family friendly it was.

I think the "in you face" aspect may be more prevalent in other areas.

Hmmm, perhaps this is a matter of my perception as I may tend to stray towards more adult gatherings and the news tends to sensationalize little bits.

no such thing as a Spring Break parade.... there's no such ting as a hetero pride parade either ( in the US anyways.)
( they would be stupid if they existed)

and yes, gay pride parades need to be toned down.... they're stupid to begin with

That comment alone showed why they are still needed.

Soooo... The OP is basically suggesting that more traditional pride parades be replaced with giant gay orgy parades? View attachment 67154394

I fail to see how that would accomplish much of anything productive. It would simply turn off moderates, while sending traditionalists into apoplectic fits of rage.

Actually, that is almost what I said. Not a parade in the public spectacle where anyone could walk in, but an adult celebration and event people could attend that would be promoted at things like PG pride parades. It has come to my attention that perhaps the gay community has already moved in this way, and maybe this is an idea that should be more proposed to the straight community to have more adult sexual events for their own merrit. The people who attend them should not be stigmatized for doing so.

I think gay pride parades are good for the community, both heterosexual and homosexual alike. I also think dialogue between the LGBT community and Heterosexual community ought to continue. I however do believe on the other side of the argument that if pride participants wear "odd and provocative" clothing I can see how people would get the impression that such wear (and behavior along with the clothing) would sustain societal stereotypes of the lifestyle.

Actually, that is almost what I said. Not a parade in the public spectacle where anyone could walk in, but an adult celebration and event people could attend that would be promoted at things like PG pride parades. It has come to my attention that perhaps the gay community has already moved in this way, and maybe this is an idea that should be more proposed to the straight community to have more adult sexual events for their own merrit. The people who attend them should not be stigmatized for doing so.

Why wouldn't you assume that things like that were happening behind the scenes already?

"Swingers" clubs and the like aren't terribly uncommon amongst heterosexuals. I'm sure that the gay community has its equivalent elements.

For that matter, why on Earth would you want such a thing to be explicitly advertised to heterosexuals? What purpose could that possibly serve?

People can have orgies devoted to whatever nasty kinky business they might happen to be into. There's nothing stopping them. Why should the rest of us have hear about it?

I doubt that any heterosexual in their right mind would willingly attend anyway.

That comment alone showed why they are still needed.

they are not needed... they have never been needed.

I see them the same way I would a white pride parade.. or a black pride parade.. or a southpaw pride parade... or a blue-eyedpride parade.
none of the gay folks taking pride actually made the choice to be gay.. they did nothing to be prideful about..... and then they dress in assless chaps and dance around with dildos.

it's all so very stupid.

Soooo... The OP is basically suggesting that more traditional pride parades be replaced with giant gay orgy parades? View attachment 67154394

uhm you need to reread the op

Until a pride parade has anything that would be out of place during Mardi Gras or Carnival, I see no reason to complain at all. Public displays that include sexuality are hardly a new idea. Just those two and events like them include a lot of heterosexuality, or at least imagery that appeals to heterosexual males.

Pride parades are just being subjected to double standards that assume everything must be centered around male heterosexuality. They have no cause to tone anything down. We're just better off when we stop pretending that hetero men are the only audience that matters.

uhm you need to reread the op

He basically said that he wants to host some sort of explicitly sexual event on the side, in addition to the usual pride parades, so that people don't feel the need to be overly extreme in what they do at the actual pride parades.

I guess it could be done, but I wouldn't see much of a point in it.

There's no real guarantee that it would tone down the proceedings at normal pride parades, and the simple idea of such a celebration might cause backlash if it were to be publically advertised.

There is a reason, after all, why most swingers clubs tend to be private affairs.

Last edited:
Until a pride parade has anything that would be out of place during Mardi Gras or Carnival, I see no reason to complain at all. Public displays that include sexuality are hardly a new idea. Just those two and events like them include a lot of heterosexuality, or at least imagery that appeals to heterosexual males.

Pride parades are just being subjected to double standards that assume everything must be centered around male heterosexuality. They have no cause to tone anything down. We're just better off when we stop pretending that hetero men are the only audience that matters.

Frankly, not everyone is comfortable with those either.

"Spring break" style debauchery is a punch-line for most people who aren't in their teens or early twenties.

He basically said that he wants to host some sort of explicitly sexual event on the side, in addition to the usual pride parades, so that people don't feel the need to be overly extreme in what they do at the actual pride parades.

Which is not the same thing as you claim he said (ie "that more traditional pride parades be replaced with giant gay orgy parades")

Which is not the same thing as you claim he said (ie "that more traditional pride parades be replaced with giant gay orgy parades")

I don't care. He clarified his position, and the discussion moved on from there.

they are not needed... they have never been needed.

I see them the same way I would a white pride parade.. or a black pride parade.. or a southpaw pride parade... or a blue-eyedpride parade.
none of the gay folks taking pride actually made the choice to be gay.. they did nothing to be prideful about..... and then they dress in assless chaps and dance around with dildos.

it's all so very stupid.

Hopefully someday you will see it because you miss so much when you do not.

Back
Top Bottom