• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it time for a June Osborne moment?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
In The Handmaid's Tale, June works with the Rebel group to get a plane to land in Gilead and smuggle out several children and Marthas and take them to Canada.

Is it time for that June Osborne moment in the US? What uber rich pro-choicers do you expect to step up and help people get out of Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, etc.? Would you donate/help?

a402ebfa-e78a-4be6-a82e-18dd0cf090c4-father-son-holy-gore-the-handmaids-tale-freedom.png

No clue what this us about. Do you have a link?

Women are being raped and then having kids taken away when born and given to other families?

I am not sure of the point of this thread.

Women are being raped and then having kids taken away when born and given to other families?

No......
I am not sure of the point of this thread.

Think back all the way to yesterday.

Are you worried about the people in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.? Should there be a plan to get them to a state/country where abortion isn't banned?

No......

Think back all the way to yesterday.

Are you worried about the people in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.? Should there be a plan to get them to a state/country where abortion isn't banned?
They have cars. If they want to leave, then they can make arrangements.

In The Handmaid's Tale, June works with the Rebel group to get a plane to land in Gilead and smuggle out several children and Marthas and take them to Canada.

Is it time for that June Osborne moment in the US? What uber rich pro-choicers do you expect to step up and help people get out of Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, etc.? Would you donate/help?

a402ebfa-e78a-4be6-a82e-18dd0cf090c4-father-son-holy-gore-the-handmaids-tale-freedom.png
There's nothing stopping anyone from leaving those states.

But, you better make sure they WANT to leave. How many people do you think want to leave those states?

Several rich pro-choicers have pledged money to Planned Parenthood....if you've been reading the news you might have noticed Lizzo, One Nation and Rage Against the Machine have pledged $500,000 each from tour proceeds. I'm sure that will be only the beginning.

Do you wish to donate to help, or to keep them from leaving?

Much as I like some/many/most Americans I hope you will not ALL come to Sweden. Five million would be quite sufficient.

Much as I like some/many/most Americans I hope you will not ALL come to Sweden. Five million would be quite sufficient.
I've suggested before that Sweden, Canada, and New Zealand might be welcoming for some.

The pro-choice states will welcome also, especially now that corporations realize how icky these anti-abortion states are and may see the wisdom in relocating along with the educated people who don't want those states.

The provincial anti-abortion laws became unconstitutional in Mexico, and once the provinces get on board with constitutional statutes, that may be another nice place.

Several rich pro-choicers have pledged money to Planned Parenthood....if you've been reading the news you might have noticed Lizzo, One Nation and Rage Against the Machine have pledged $500,000 each from tour proceeds. I'm sure that will be only the beginning.

How will that help people where there is no Planned Parenthood anymore?
Do you wish to donate to help, or to keep them from leaving?

Why would I want to stop them from leaving?

No, I won’t be donating to anywhere that encourages elective abortions. I will, however, continue to support organizations that help mothers purchase formula, baby food, clothing, housing, etc.

I understand what you're saying but it hasn't (quite) gotten that bad yet. Only way out of this is voting the prehistoric people out-the-door.

How does that help people in those states before the election?

I understand what you're saying but it hasn't (quite) gotten that bad yet. Only way out of this is voting the prehistoric people out-the-door.

It's not a dire situation for those people who cannot get an abortion in the state they're living in?

No. We shouldn't be forcing women out of states, out of America, out of their homes because of laws that take away their rights. We need to fight for their rights.

What happens when the exodus of women, families from those states leads to those states having overrepresentation in our system, highly unfairly, because they took away rights to get people to leave their states right after they got the census, reps changed in their favor?

It's not a dire situation for those people who cannot get an abortion in the state they're living in?
To get them an abortion, yes. That doesn't mean they should be forced to leave their state, encouraged to do so, which would only make it worse for the country, sending representatives from states that they don't really represent the people who lived there when those seats were drawn up.

To get them an abortion, yes. That doesn't mean they should be forced to leave their state, encouraged to do so, which would only make it worse for the country, sending representatives from states that they don't really represent the people who lived there when those seats were drawn up.

Who says they are to be forced to leave? I’m sure many want to leave.

How will that help people where there is no Planned Parenthood anymore?

Why would I want to stop them from leaving?

No, I won’t be donating to anywhere that encourages elective abortions. I will, however, continue to support organizations that help mothers purchase formula, baby food, clothing, housing, etc.
Who thinks there won't be Planned Parenthood anymore? Abortion is a small portion of the services they provide, and they will continue to do so.
The ban on abortion will make some states very unappealing to young women starting their careers, and businesses might take heed of that.

The donations that will come in will help women travel out of state if they choose to.

Baby formula and diapers are nice....but they hardly make a dent in the lifetime commitment to parenting. I wouldn't overestimate the power of such feel good "donations". Do some of those organizations pose as abortion providers in their advertising?

What about health insurance, day care, transportation, tuition, etc. etc....You know the things red states very much oppose?
A bit more of a commitment than diapers for sure.

Come on, Josie. Gilead doesn’t happen overnight. When travel is restricted, when husbands need to sign birth control prescriptions, when they confiscate all money in any account that belongs to “F” and not “M,” maybe we can talk about those things.

For now, yes, I will absolutely help any woman that wants it, regardless. Pills? A ride across country?(*Lookin at you, Missouri!*) Networks are already working overtime.

And I believe in these principles enough to go to jail for. I also believe in a 1st world country in 2022 we would not need another Underground Railroad.

Who thinks there won't be Planned Parenthood anymore? Abortion is a small portion of the services they provide, and they will continue to do so.
The ban on abortion will make some states very unappealing to young women starting their careers, and businesses might take heed of that.

The donations that will come in will help women travel out of state if they choose to.

Baby formula and diapers are nice....but they hardly make a dent in the lifetime commitment to parenting. I wouldn't overestimate the power of such feel good "donations". Do some of those organizations pose as abortion providers in their advertising?

What about health insurance, day care, transportation, tuition, etc. etc....You know the things red states very much oppose?
Yep

Of course, I was talking about women who wanted to get abortions from Planned Parenthood.

If red states opposed health insurance, daycare, transportation and tuition then there would be no health insurance, daycare, transportation and tuition in red states. Perhaps you worded it wrong?

Come on, Josie. Gilead doesn’t happen overnight. When travel is restricted, when husbands need to sign birth control prescriptions, when they confiscate all money in any account that belongs to “F” and not “M,” maybe we can talk about those things.

For now, yes, I will absolutely help any woman that wants it, regardless. Pills? A ride across country?(*Lookin at you, Missouri!*) Networks are already working overtime.

And I believe in these principles enough to go to jail for. I also believe in a 1st world country in 2022 we would not need another Underground Railroad.

What if they want to leave the state but can't afford it? Will you provide them with everything they need to get from Missouri to a more suitable state for them?

I think much will be revealed in the 2022 mid terms and the 2024 election. I used to think we had at least til 2050ish.

I think the bottom is going to fall out, and I think it’s going to surprise everyone how strong it will be.

I hope I’m wrong.

What if they want to leave the state but can't afford it? Will you provide them with everything they need to get from Missouri to a more suitable state for them?

You’re reaching.

Yes, I will do whatever I have the ability to do that will help some woman stop feeling like her world is exploding and she has no control. I would help anyone in that situation.

Shouldn’t everyone?

Back
Top Bottom