• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it time American firms start copying Chinese patented products?

NoLeftNoRight

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Few would probably argue that the Chinese have copied many American products and openly sell them in China despite US patents.

However, the "honest" USA seems to enforce Chinese patents here in the USA.

Don't say China has nothing worth copying. You would be wrong. They are spending billions and billions on R&D and are coming up with many new technologies now.

But it seems a bit unfair to US firms that the Chinese blatantly copy US products and sell them, yet American firms are prosecuted vigorously should they do the same here.

Should this change?

If not, how is it "fair"? What is the politics behind this?

Few would probably argue that the Chinese have copied many American products and openly sell them in China despite US patents.

Don't say China has nothing worth copying. You would be wrong. They are spending billions and billions on R&D and are coming up with many new technologies now.

But it seems a bit unfair to US firms that the Chinese blatantly copy US products and sell them, yet American firms are prosecuted vigorously should they do the same here.

Should this change?

Examples?

Should this change?

They certainly have patents that are worth licensing.

Should this change?

IMO our patent laws are causing a great deal of harm in terms of needless friction (patent trolls, pharma infighting and overpricing). China doesn't seem to give a **** about them. Maybe it's time we level the playing field a bit by updating our IP laws to better favor first-to-market.

Examples?

They do this all the time in my hobby, the moment something comes out 1 month later the cheaper Chinese knockoff comes out.

This is the Alien, designed by ImpulseRC, widely regarded as the best drone racing frame of 2016 and costs $127
ImpulseRC. Alien FPV Frame

This is the Martian II, ripped off by Banggood.com, selling for $27.00
Martian? 220 220mm 4mm Arm Thickness Carbon Fiber Frame Kit w/ PDB For FPV Racing Sale - Banggood.com

After all the R&D costs, how can they compete with such an undercutting price?
Horizon Hobby creates the incredibly popular Inductrix selling for $49.99, Eachine (Banggood's brand) puts out the $15.99 E010 clone.

Its killing the innovation from pretty much every company in the business except for DJI, who have secured a huge market segment.

Disclaimer: I buy the cheap Chinese versions.

They do this all the time in my hobby, the moment something comes out 1 month later the cheaper Chinese knockoff comes out.

This is the Alien, designed by ImpulseRC, widely regarded as the best drone racing frame of 2016 and costs $127

Martian? 220 220mm 4mm Arm Thickness Carbon Fiber Frame Kit w/ PDB For FPV Racing Sale - Banggood.com

Horizon Hobby creates the incredibly popular Inductrix selling for $49.99, Eachine (Banggood's brand) puts out the $15.99 E010 clone.

Its killing the innovation from pretty much every company in the business except for DJI, who have secured a huge market segment.

Where are the "original" more expensive ones made? If they have a design patent they can stop the "knock offs" at the border.

ImpulseRC is an Australian company, Horizon Hobby is American.

They still are probably made in China but like I said if they have design patents they can get an injunction against any Chinese knock-offs. But they need to file and prove their case.

They still are probably made in China but like I said if they have design patents they can get an injunction against any Chinese knock-offs. But they need to file and prove their case.

You're wrong about that, but what does where its made matter?

By the time an injunction is done, the industry will have moved on to new tech, the tech in this industry moves fast. That won't help at all, nor is it financially feasible. Perhaps to some other industry that's getting ****ed by the Chinese, that would be good advice.

I R Sorry...

Misread to OP. My bad.

I read this "Don't say China has nothing worth copying. You would be wrong. They are spending billions and billions on R&D and are coming up with many new technologies now." From there I thought the OP was speaking of American companies ripping off China.

Hell the Chinese have copied automobiles by reverse engineering.

I went to a computer store in Kowloon. CDs full of new software some of which hadn't even been released in the US. All bootleg. All bought over the counter.

Back
Top Bottom