• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it right for the US to be a Super Power?

• No. I hate the whole idea of "Super Powers". Arms are for hugging.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why can't I just live my life and be left alone?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Other. It’s better to have the US as a super power than to have China and/or Russia as the super power(s).

I go with other as well. If there is gonna be a super power I will rather it is the US

The Founding Fathers did a great job over 200 years ago.
The world has changed a little big since then.
The world has changed, but the course the Founding Fathers envisioned for America didn't.
There will never be any such thing as a neutral America.
America tried that in 1915 and in 1940 and it just didn't work out the way you would like it to.
There was no attempt to be neutral in WW I. President Wilson promised to keep the US neutral in his campaign speeches, but he broke that promise. This is why many history scholars rank Wilson the worst (bloodiest) president in U.S. history.

Americans would be much safer if the US never had become a Superpower. Do you have any idea how many nuclear weapons are pointed at us? Thousands? TENS of thousands?

How many nuclear weapons are pointed at Switzerland or New Zealand? I'd wager none.

The Founding Fathers were smart to admonish us from becoming entangled in foreign wars or conflicts.

I think overall the American hegemony of the last 80 odd years has been overall positive for most developed countries.
I think of you polled people from Central America, Middle East etc they woujd gave a different opinion but someone has to lose

Let's just say that the quality of the American population is declining every day, every year, and every decade.

(I was a teenager in the 1950s. At that time, most people did not even think about violent crime impacting the good parts of our major cities. Today, the perps boldly rob, sucker punch, loot, rape, and murder in all parts of our cities. Here in Los Angeles, it has just been reported that 17 gangs are brazenly following wealthy people home and robbing them. They would never have dared do this in the 1950s!)

Oh, people brazenly robbed, raped and murdered in the 1950s.....all the time.

It’s just they were members of a terrorist organization who controlled numerous states, so their atrocities were often ignored by those supposed “better quality Americans”.

How about Switzerland or Luxemburg?
They're pretty nice to the world, aren't they?
The mantle of power is sometimes difficult to wear.
I’m all for either or both. As soon as they get about 50 nukes. A navy the size of at least France or England. A air force about the same size and field an army that’s as large as any in Europe

Absolutely yes. DJT was 100% correct when he said we should ramp up our nuclear arsenal 10-fold in 2017.
It's not a coincidence that Russia has the most nukes in the world, and they are now making veiled nuclear threats.
As long as evil regimes and theocratic countries exist, we should always stay ahead in EVERY type of weaponry, nuclear and conventional. I can't believe we don't have nuclear defense programs as one of our highest priorities. If we believe the old "mutually assured destruction" mindset of the 50's and 60's will prevent an attack, with countries like Iran doing everything in their power to obtain nukes, we are whistling past the graveyard.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/tr...lear-arsenal-meeting-military-leaders-n809701
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-have-the-most-nuclear-weapons.html
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...s-world-ask-again-if-he-s-bluffing/ar-AAUpLRJ

I guess I should've picked "Other" as "Is it right?" is kinda not applicable? I'd say it's generally a good thing, even though we've made many mistakes. The world has flourished in a way it never has before under the global dominance of the US. If the US were to fall, there would be significant turmoil in the world.

That said, we don't need to be playing Team America World Police everywhere.

Stole the words off my keyboard.

I'm very skeptical and critical of a anyone possessing the kind of concentration of power the US has. However, I far prefer the US having it to China.

For much of world history, global politics has been multipolar, with typically several powers or political rivals competing with one another. That the U.S. became *the* power happened by circumstance, mainly owing to the fact that Europe was much poorer after WWII than before it. Up until the 1920s-30s, the center of global financial power was London, which is still to this day in the top two or three financial centers worldwide. After 1945, though, it was indisputably New York.

The U.S. is still *the* power, but what most people don't realize is that we've lost a *lot* of our financial dominance since 2000, and it's a trend that will likely continue. Although the U.S. is still the largest economy in terms of GDP, China is catching up and will eventually supersede us sometime in the next 5-10 years, barring unforeseen circumstances. But if you look at the collective purchasing power of any given country, China is actually already ahead of the United States, and that trend is likely going to continue for the rest of our lives.

Something that puts geopolitical and global financial power into better perspective is global trade on a bilateral basis. In other words, look at the number of countries that call the U.S. their top trading partner. In 2000, about 75% - 80% of the world's nations called us their number one, most important trading partner. Now? Only about a third of the world's countries do. Some of that has gone to regional powers like the European Union, but China has, far and away, stripped the U.S. of its influence more than any other. A strong majority of countries now regard China as their top bilateral trading partner.

That is why Trump's America First foreign and trade policy, if fully implemented, would be a foreign policy disaster from which the U.S. would have a very hard time recovering. Because China and Russia would use our isolationism to drive a wedge between North America and the EU, country by country, one by one. And one by one, China, Russia, and other authoritarian powers would seek to isolate countries, manipulate their domestic politics, and peel them away one by one. Look at China's, South Asia's, Africa's & Mid-East's population and resources, and look at that of Europe and North America. Who do you think wins that competition?

Absolutely yes. DJT was 100% correct when he said we should ramp up our nuclear arsenal 10-fold in 2017.
It's not a coincidence that Russia has the most nukes in the world, and they are now making veiled nuclear threats.
As long as evil regimes and theocratic countries exist, we should always stay ahead in EVERY type of weaponry, nuclear and conventional. I can't believe we don't have nuclear defense programs as one of our highest priorities. If we believe the old "mutually assured destruction" mindset of the 50's and 60's will prevent an attack, with countries like Iran doing everything in their power to obtain nukes, we are whistling past the graveyard.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/tr...lear-arsenal-meeting-military-leaders-n809701
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-have-the-most-nuclear-weapons.html
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...s-world-ask-again-if-he-s-bluffing/ar-AAUpLRJ
Can't disagree with your Dr. Strangelove idea of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD).
Do you think Putin knows if he fires one nuke the chances are Moscow could be totally destroyed?
If his goal is survival and retaining his power, then MAD thinking is self-destructive.
But if he is thinking like Hitler in the bunker, then we are all doomed.

Happy Easter.

For much of world history, global politics has been multipolar, with typically several powers or political rivals competing with one another. That the U.S. became *the* power happened by circumstance, mainly owing to the fact that Europe was much poorer after WWII than before it. Up until the 1920s-30s, the center of global financial power was London, which is still to this day in the top two or three financial centers worldwide. After 1945, though, it was indisputably New York.

The U.S. is still *the* power, but what most people don't realize is that we've lost a *lot* of our financial dominance since 2000, and it's a trend that will likely continue. Although the U.S. is still the largest economy in terms of GDP, China is catching up and will eventually supersede us sometime in the next 5-10 years, barring unforeseen circumstances. But if you look at the collective purchasing power of any given country, China is actually already ahead of the United States, and that trend is likely going to continue for the rest of our lives.

Something that puts geopolitical and global financial power into better perspective is global trade on a bilateral basis. In other words, look at the number of countries that call the U.S. their top trading partner. In 2000, about 75% - 80% of the world's nations called us their number one, most important trading partner. Now? Only about a third of the world's countries do. Some of that has gone to regional powers like the European Union, but China has, far and away, stripped the U.S. of its influence more than any other. A strong majority of countries now regard China as their top bilateral trading partner.

That is why Trump's America First foreign and trade policy, if fully implemented, would be a foreign policy disaster from which the U.S. would have a very hard time recovering. Because China and Russia would use our isolationism to drive a wedge between North America and the EU, country by country, one by one. And one by one, China, Russia, and other authoritarian powers would seek to isolate countries, manipulate their domestic politics, and peel them away one by one. Look at China's, South Asia's, Africa's & Mid-East's population and resources, and look at that of Europe and North America. Who do you think wins that competition?
So you must be elated that Trump is no longer president.

You appear to be a glass half empty kind of American.
If you voted for Biden then I think you better reassess your vision of America for the future. His policies can only make us weaker.

Can't disagree with your Dr. Strangelove idea of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD).
Do you think Putin knows if he fires one nuke the chances are Moscow could be totally destroyed?
If his goal is survival and retaining his power, then MAD thinking is self-destructive.
But if he is thinking like Hitler in the bunker, then we are all doomed.

Happy Easter.
Of course, he knows it. My fear is, if the reports on his erratic behavior, and level of paranoia are accurate, M.A.D. may not apply as far as he's concerned.
Happy Easter to you as well my friend.

Back
Top Bottom