• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it possible to watch sporting events online without paying a lot of money?

DA60

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I want to 'cut the cable cord'. And the main reason - almost the only reason - I don't is because of sports. I love sports and I find that to watch sports online without a tv cable subscription it is VERY expensive (relatively speaking).

Any one have any legal ideas (outside of pirating)?

Or is it even possible in 2016?

Last edited:
There are ways, but I am not sure that DP would allow the links due to legal reasons.............. seeing that some of the practices are definitely in the grey area.

I have a few shady friends down at the marina ;) who seem to watch whatever they like on their sailboats.

There are ways, but I am not sure that DP would allow the links due to legal reasons.............. seeing that some of the practices are definitely in the grey area.

I have a few shady friends down at the marina ;) who seem to watch whatever they like on their sailboats.

Lol...thanks, but I meant legal ways.

Unfortunately (sometimes), I believe in karma. As I am guessing you do as well.

Lol...thanks, but I meant legal ways.

Unfortunately (sometimes), I believe in karma. As I am guessing you do as well.

I do have NFL mobile on my GalaxyS5, and I listen live to my Red Sox through cell also. I can DPMI my cell to my flatscreen.

Well, there's the Android TV Boxes. They're buggy as hell, so even if you buy 1 I would NOT recommend 'cutting the cord' totally. But they do make a good secondary form of TV entertainment. You may not want to cut the cord completely, but you can definitely lessen the cord, you can drop your cable package to the minimum so you can pay less. Then use the TV box to fill in.

Are they legal? I have no idea. But they are all over the net, everyone sells them and no one seems to be bitching about their legality.

Depending on what you are looking to watch, Sling TV might work. Never tried it, but usually comes up in discussions for watching <insert sport event> legally. 20-40 dollars a month though (20 gets ESPN/ESPN2; 25 gets Fox/Fox Sports/FS1/FS2/Regional, NBC/NBCSN; 40 gets both).

If you can get WatchESPN through your internet provider, that can help. It's mostly niche stuff that you can watch but sometimes they'll do multi-cams of games on ESPN/ESPN 2 and those other cameras are considered aired on ESPN3 so you can watch them. I did that for a few of the bowl games.

Other then that, the only other ones I know are expensive, grey area, or straight illegal =/.

Kodi is a fee App for Windows, Android, Apple, Amazon, Linux, etc. And on that there's a service called 'Sports Devil'. it provides Live Sport Feeds. Many are European, Soccer, Cricket, etc. But they do have ESPN, and Live American Football and Baseball too. Again my experience with it though is it is very unreliable. At times no servers, or a lot of buffering, etc. You can usually get it to work, but it takes a lot of trail and error. I no longer even try to use it.

Anyway it's out there for almost every platform, and free.. It's on Google Play etc., it's also on Kodi's site. So I'm guessing it's legal. For your TV I think the best way would be to buy a Android TV Box(anywhere from $40-$100), but if you want to try it 1st download the Kodi App to your PC, or Laptop and try it. No money needed.

You will be streaming so you need a pretty fast Internet Connection.

Last edited:
I want to 'cut the cable cord'. And the main reason - almost the only reason - I don't is because of sports. I love sports and I find that to watch sports online without a tv cable subscription it is VERY expensive (relatively speaking).

Any one have any legal ideas (outside of pirating)?

Or is it even possible in 2016?

Legally no.... more and more sports events are moving to "pay only" channels, and the market is turning more and more into a monopoly in many countries. This of course means... more and more illegal methods to watch.

Illegally sure..

Kodi is a fee App for Windows, Android, Apple, Amazon, Linux, etc. And on that there's a service called 'Sports Devil'. it provides Live Sport Feeds. Many are European, Soccer, Cricket, etc. But they do have ESPN, and Live American Football and Baseball too. Again my experience with it though is it is very unreliable. At times no servers, or a lot of buffering, etc. You can usually get it to work, but it takes a lot of trail and error. I no longer even try to use it.

Anyway it's out there for almost every platform, and free.. It's on Google Play etc., it's also on Kodi's site. So I'm guessing it's legal. For your TV I think the best way would be to buy a Android TV Box(anywhere from $40-$100), but if you want to try it 1st download the Kodi App to your PC, or Laptop and try it. No money needed.

You will be streaming so you need a pretty fast Internet Connection.

Kodi is legal.. the streams you are referring too.. not so much :)

Kodi is legal.. the streams you are referring too.. not so much :)

Ah... well like I said the streams were so much of a pain I don't even try to use them anymore. I kept DirecTV so I get all the sports and movies I need. Again the Box is a good secondary entertainment device, but I'd never depend on it totally.

Ah... well like I said the streams were so much of a pain I don't even try to use them anymore. I kept DirecTV so I get all the sports and movies I need. Again the Box is a good secondary entertainment device, but I'd never depend on it totally.

Well in the rest of the world, the options are limited and getting even worse thanks to massive conglomerates gobbling up media companies. For example in Spain, last year.. you could watch La Liga (football) games on two channels and it cost 15 euros a month. With that you got other leagues as well, but the main selling point was la liga.

Now... one channel lost the rights as the other channel got really gobbled up by the big telecoms, and the price surged from 15 to 30, and you had to have the basic package as well I believe. Same with Games of Thrones.. only 10 Euros to watch the season, but you had to have the 20+ euro basic package to be able to get the 10 euro deal... and people wonder why so many pirate stuff.

Add to that, that BeIN sports entered the Spanish market by taking Champions League and UEFA league games.. and you have yourself a problem. BeIN sports is only on cable tv or the internet, and I am not even sure you can get all games on the Internet or if that is cable TV exclusive... fyi, Cable TV footprint in Spain is minimal... it is internet TV or satellite.

This behavior is happening all over Europe and the EU is powerless at the moment to stop it. I am glad that the Olympics are still not on pay channels.. else the only sports we would be able to watch would be snooker and some winter sports (a bit of an exaggeration but it proves a point).

It has gotten to a point that to get the shows you want, or sports.. then you have to pay up to 100 euros a month... instead of allowing consumers to pick and choose. In Denmark we have a system where you can pick and choose individual channels, but it is of course at a premium... so the savings are almost non existent.

The industry needs to wake the **** up and smell the tea leaves.. because their business model is failing fast and the only thing keeping them around is bribed governments and paid for legislation.

The problems we found are that our cable company (TWC) offers a very fast and reiaible internet but charges more for just high speed (HS) internet if you drop cable TV and a DVR from the "package". We live in a hole making it difficult to get decent antenna reception and my girfriend will not give up DVR capability. To get HS internet, local, cable and sports cannels with DVR capability we have not yet found a less expensive option.

Back
Top Bottom