• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it okay for the POTUS to skip honoring the follen in battle?

Best explanation of Trump was in a clip I saw of him in a Medal of Freedom awards ceremony. Elvis was one of the recipients, and they played a few bars of the King singing “How great Thou art.” Trump’s expression and action suggested he thought the song was about him. Of course, he could have been spoofing himself.

The number of people who are sure that Trump is a narcissist is alarming. Trump is all about winning because if you are not living life with the intent to win then you are a loser, which is no fun. Trump needs fun and he needs constant challenges...that is why he plays to win. Winners get to play the better games dont forget, and Trump has spent a lifetime playing great games. The "Trump is a Great Man" stuff is branding, to gain him power, so that he can win....He certainly does not make the mistake of buying his own propaganda.

So many people are so confused.

Peterson is right here:

Last edited:
The number of people who are sure that Trump is a narcissist is alarming. Trump is all about winning because if you are not living life with the intent to win then you are a loser, which is no fun. Trump needs fun and he needs constant challenges...that is why he plays to win. Winners get to play the better games dont forget, and Trump has spent a lifetime playing great games. The "Trump is a Great Man" stuff is branding, to gain him power, so that he can win....He certainly does not make the mistake of buying his own propaganda.

Peterson is right here:
I’ve always found it creepy the way you talk about Trump. You talk about him like he’s your husband..

Sorry,not buying it.

Trump in April apparently chided Baltic leaders for the breakup of Yugoslavia (ie the BALKANS). He didn't know the difference between HPV and HIV.

He's clearly an idiot.

Interesting analogy since you couldn't possibly know that I've suffered 4 heart attacks. Not that it affects the point.

I don't particularly want Trump as president either. I certainly have no respect for missing 2 important ceremonies, especially as commander-in-chief missing memorials. Unfortunately we are stuck for a while. We weren't given a choice 2 years ago and we have to pray we are given one in 2020.

We were given a choice 2 years ago. We made the wrong one and now we have to live with it.

We were given a choice 2 years ago. We made the wrong one and now we have to live with it.

We (meaning the largest part of the population) were left in the general with a choice between 2 types of corruption. Between Clinton and Trump choice is an illusion. Either way we were screwed.

In the abstract, no it's not okay. As a practical matter, were Trump not to have made such a big deal of his alleged support and respect for veterans, his tepid honorific showings wouldn't be something about which he'd deserve to be chided.

But Trump has been making a big deal about his regard for veterans since at least that, what, that 2016 (?) debate he skipped to host a veterans benefit. So when he (or someone who's made similar attestations about themselves) doesn't turn out, especially lamely claiming inability to do so on account of mere rain, on designated national/international holidays that honor veterans, fallen or not, no, it's not okay.

In times like these, when the nation is so bitterly divided, it is important to come together for things that everyone can unite around. Honoring those who have fallen in defense of our country should be one of those things. It is the duty of a president to serve as a focal point on occasions such as this.

That is a good question, bearpoker. If you believe that a President is a figure inhabiting an office that is to be idolized, certainly, it is a disgrace. If you believe the president is merely the chief magistrate of the Federal Executive Branch, it is an irrelevancy and has little to nothing to do with his governance whether he went or not; it is of no greater concern than if the head of your local DMV went to a Memorial observance of the fallen. A nice gesture, but certainly nothing that affects his or her governance of the Department. From my perspective, I did not personally care when President Obama engaged in acts of outrage and disrespect towards our country that were overblown by right-wing pundits. Certainly not when he was actually pursuing policies that I believed harmed our country's interests. I am not going to get bent out of shape when Donald Trump personally behaves in a flippant or disrespectful manner. I am more concerned with how he governs, just as I was with President Obama.

As a personal aside, when I became an atheist, I found myself becoming far more worshipful of civic institutions and fonts of Earthly power. Perhaps I was unconsciously filling the void left where God and faith inhabited. Now, as I see it, I am becoming more and more ambivalent towards power and institutions, and I understand the distrust that early philosophical Christians and other ascetic sects have towards them. The idolatry of power is dangerous, and I think Donald Trump serves as a valuable object lesson of this. If he wakes us up to the fact that it is virtue rather than power that is worthy of admiration, all the better.

That aside, I would ask you: What do you think the office of the Presidency is for? Is it merely administrative? Or do you believe the office is more numinous?

The president is simultaneously the head of government, an administrative function, and the head of state, a roll that addresses the emotional and even spiritual needs of the country.

In times like these, when the nation is so bitterly divided, it is important to come together for things that everyone can unite around. Honoring those who have fallen in defense of our country should be one of those things. It is the duty of a president to serve as a focal point on occasions such as this.
Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.​
-- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

I suppose....However, honoring fallen veterans strikes me not as a "come together" thing but as merely a thing a POTUS -- as much as because he's the POTUS as because he's a citizen -- ought to do as naturally and necessarily as breathing. It's just something a good man does. Sorry (not really, but it's a figure of speech, so....), but my bar for what qualifies as a public official doing something that unifies the nation is a good deal higher than simply doing the bare minimum of what's expected of anyone.

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.​
-- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

...The president has never really been obligated to do any of these public events and even so, he himself feels adversely about what he chose to do. So I'm fine with it.

Numnuts has never felt obligated to be civil, gracious or to tell the truth either. It's good to know that a majority of Americans are not so fine with that.

I am trying to explain Trump to you.

Your lack of interest is noted.

It's sad that so many Americans find him so complex that he needs explaining. The majority of Americans know he's as simple as any other megalomaniac.

And 'that's all I have to say about that'...

We (meaning the largest part of the population) were left in the general with a choice between 2 types of corruption. Between Clinton and Trump choice is an illusion. Either way we were screwed.

Right, but with one we get a dry humping the other involves every orifice...

Trump has never given a damn about ceremony, being the center of attention is not about ceremony, it is about power...

I'm surprised you weren't aware of his suffering from, Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD)

Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is characterized by a long-standing pattern of attention seeking behavior and extreme emotionality. Someone with histrionic personality disorder wants to be the center of attention in any group of people, and they feel uncomfortable when they are not.

The number of people who are sure that Trump is a narcissist is alarming. Trump is all about winning because if you are not living life with the intent to win then you are a loser, which is no fun...

Do you actually believe that Numnut's excessive interest in himself and his physical appearance isn't narcissism? You need to look up the definition.

Trumpettes have a very narrow short term view about winning. Numnuts will go down in history as one of our nations biggest losers. Unless you consider our historians, the enemy of the people...

Last edited:
Right, but with one we get a dry humping the other involves every orifice...

I don't like to think about it, but I would probably also see Hillary as the dominant one in these situations. I don't know if I really see her humping every orifice, though. She seems more like the monster with a strap-on type.

I don't like to think about it, but I would probably also see Hillary as the dominant one in these situations. I don't know if I really see her humping every orifice, though. She seems more like the monster with a strap-on type.

LOL

Hillary giving it to Numnuts, yeah not a pretty picture, but well deserved...

Peterson is right here:

Correct about Trump and games. Also about winning. (Forget decency, compassion and service in Trump's case.) The presidency was just another attractive woman on his arm. But really?, "he doesn't make the mistake of buying his own propaganda."???? Judging by their laughter at his opening comments, the assembled heads of state and others at the UN clearly disagreed. Of course, a lot of Trump is show. But unlike that wonderful showman, Muhammed Ali, Trump actually believes he is the greatest.

Numnuts has never felt obligated to be civil, gracious or to tell the truth either. It's good to know that a majority of Americans are not so fine with that.

Trumpettes have a very narrow short term view about winning. Numnuts will go down in history as one of our nations biggest losers. Unless you consider our historians, the enemy of the people...

Thank you for sharing your opinion.
Though if you want to appear as if you have a stake in this conversation. I would suggest you stop acting like you know Trump' inner workings, seeing as we've seen him be civil in the past. We can already chock up your first line in the post as a blatant lie and secondly. You seem to think you know just what every Trump supporter things, or entirely knows. Which is also a lie.

Lastly, attempting predict the future when you've pretty much failed at from the first letting of your post. Is a pretty haphazard way of promoting yourself in the greater scheme of things. Seeing as you run the slim chance of being right, the incredibly likely outcome of being wrong.

That, or you're just a glutton for punishment.

Trump did it in France and then again on Veteran's Day here in the US. What do you say trumpsters? Do you support a president who doesn't honor those who fell in war?

With the exception of Meghan McCain, it appears ALL the other republicans have no problem with trump disrespecting war heroes and war veterans. Look at how they said NOTHING when he attacked Gold Star families, and war heroes John McCain and General McRaven. The General worked for both dubya and President Obama and trump attacks him via his frigging twitter.

Saying that Hillary is just as bad or worse than the orange POS is one of the biggest load of BS I have ever heard or read. Hillary wouldn't be spending all her time tweeting, playing golf and meeting with russian agents. She'd actually be PRESIDENTIAL.

In the abstract, no it's not okay. As a practical matter, were Trump not to have made such a big deal of his alleged support and respect for veterans, his tepid honorific showings wouldn't be something about which he'd deserve to be chided.

But Trump has been making a big deal about his regard for veterans since at least that, what, that 2016 (?) debate he skipped to host a veterans benefit. So when he (or someone who's made similar attestations about themselves) doesn't turn out, especially lamely claiming inability to do so on account of mere rain, on designated national/international holidays that honor veterans, fallen or not, no, it's not okay.

In Paris ALL the world leaders - except 2 - marched in unity to honor the WW1 heroes. The 2 who couldn't be bothered were having a private meeting back at the hotel. Those 2 were trump and putin. trump put putin before our war heroes.

Cadet bone spurs continues to give our military the finger. He could spend thanksgiving visiting troops but instead he is going to be at Mar-lar-go AGAIN. I hope our military personnel are keeping notes on this and won't be silly enough to vote for him in 2020. Assuming he is the candidate in 2020. I have heard rumors that Pence, Ryan, Flake and a few others are going to run against trump in 2020. Should be interesting to see how many moderate republicans support another candidate or continue to support the far right white supremacist's choice.

Back
Top Bottom