• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is it ok to wire tap phone calls from terrorists into this country?

Is it ok to wire tap phone calls from terrorists into this country?

• No, it is a violation of their civil rights....

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • yes, it is important to know what terrorists are saying....

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Kandahar said:
Here's an idea. Why don't you people stop saying "Clinton did it too" and actually provide some reasons why this kind of activity should be tolerated from any president.
If you read my previous post in the link above yours you'll see the last two lines are...

This is, by no means, an attack on Clinton...

When it comes to stuff like this, I totally agreed with it then as I do now...

cnredd said:

I'm still not sure about all this? Here's a synopsis of things I've read describing the differences between Carter/Clinton and Bush. Maybe I'll just wait for the congressional hearings?

The first Executive Order, issued by Pres. Carter in 1978 was to implement the Foreign Intellicence Surveillance Act passed by Congress that same year. That act, prompted by court cases arising from domestic terrorism, defined the circumstances under which the executive branch could conduct domestic electronic surveillance of spys without a conventional criminal warrant. The act required the President to desgnate officers of the Dept. of Justice who would be empowered to seek permision from the newly created FISA court to carry out such surveillance of foreign spys. So Pres. Carter issued an Executive Order to that effect.

The second Executive Order was in the wake of the Aldrich Ames case. After key evidence against Ames was tossed, Congress passed a law which expanded the function of the FISA courts to also consider physical searches. Once again, the act required the President to designate officers of the Department of Justice who would be empowered to seek permision for those physical searches from the FISA court.

As you can see, these legal, public proceedings for complying with the specific instructions of Congress don't really compare well to top secret programs, concealed from Congress and the public as in Bush's case.

Re: Is it OK to wire tap phone calls from terrorists into this country?

earthworm said:
As worded, no qualms what-so-ever.
All Islamic terrorists must be hunted down using any and all methods without restraint.
To suggest otherwise is tantamount to treason..

Any and all methods without restraint huh? So would you support internment camps here to detain all Muslims in the United States?

Navy Pride,

When you said their rights are you talking about Americans overseas? If they are then yes you need a court order. If you’re talking about Aboo-boo a non-American citizen calling from Syria then NO court order is needed.

cherokee said:
Navy Pride,

When you said their rights are you talking about Americans overseas? If they are then yes you need a court order. If you’re talking about Aboo-boo a non-American citizen calling from Syria then NO court order is needed.

What I am talking about is calls from terrorists to anyone in this country be a citizen or not.............

It looks like over 30 people have viewed this poll and only 11 have responded.I wonder why that is?

I posted another poll where it stated that 58 percent of the people polled say its ok to wire tap terrorist without a warrant...............

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
What I am talking about is calls from terrorists to anyone in this country be a citizen or not.............

Then Record away...

Navy Pride said:
Your thoughts please
If a terrorist calls here?
If someone here calls a terrorist?
Hell yes.

I want the gvmnt to do whatever it can to stop these people.

Imagine, if GWB went on TV and said "We could have stopped the terrorists from detonating a nuclear weapon in Los Angeles, but I did not want to violate the rights of certain people here in the United States to do so."

M14 Shooter said:
If a terrorist calls here?
If someone here calls a terrorist?
Hell yes.

I want the gvmnt to do whatever it can to stop these people.

Imagine, if GWB went on TV and said "We could have stopped the terrorists from detonating a nuclear weapon in Los Angeles, but I did not want to violate the rights of certain people here in the United States to do so."

Imagine if we were wire tapping on 9/10/01 and caught a conversation between a couple of those terrorists who blew up the WTC......

Wait. we can't do anything about it because we did not have a warrant..................Give me a break............

Navy Pride said:
Imagine if we were wire tapping on 9/10/01 and caught a conversation between a couple of those terrorists who blew up the WTC......
Wait. we can't do anything about it because we did not have a warrant..................Give me a break............

I think the disconnect here is the idea that we're looking for information to prosecute these people.

We arent. We don't plan to take them to a court of law, we plan to drop explosives on them.

if its a known terrorists, then yeah..record away. they are known enemies of this republic.

Navy Pride said:

The warrants can be obtained retroactively.

The Real McCoy said:
The warrants can be obtained retroactively.

Which, of course, brings up another question:
-The admninistration taps the line
-The adminidtration goes to the court
-The court refises to issue a warrant
-The administration still has the information

Now what?

M14 Shooter said:
Which, of course, brings up another question:
-The admninistration taps the line
-The adminidtration goes to the court
-The court refises to issue a warrant
-The administration still has the information

Now what?

The FISA courts dish out warrants like penny candy. The only ones they turn down are pointless cases which anything having to do with al Qaeda operatives is deffinitely not.

The Real McCoy said:
The FISA courts dish out warrants like penny candy. The only ones they turn down are pointless cases which anything having to do with al Qaeda operatives is deffinitely not.

That doesnt really address the question.

M14 Shooter said:
That doesnt really address the question.

Sorry, thought we were still talking about the 9/11 terrorists.

If the administration ordered a wire tap and the FISA courts refused to issue a warrant, I'd say it was a stupid tap and shouldn't have been placed in the first case.

The Real McCoy said:
Sorry, thought we were still talking about the 9/11 terrorists.

If the administration ordered a wire tap and the FISA courts refused to issue a warrant, I'd say it was a stupid tap and shouldn't have been placed in the first case.

Well, thats fine -- but the administration still has the information, and, since they apparently did not have probable cause for the tap, violated the 'rights' of the people in question.

Now, we know that poisoned fruit cannot be used in court -- but if you intention was to find information for -military- action, what keeps you from using it?

Back
Top Bottom