• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is it ok to spank your children?

Is it ok to spank children?

• Yes

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters
I don't recall ever spanking my son (he's 13 now). I know my wife did a few times (it was rare though). As a child I was spanked excessively by my father. I can recall only being spanked by my mother twice my entire life. My mother was whipped excessively by her father. Now my wife wasn't spanked much as a child. Although her brother was.

I believe a very involved relationship with your children can prevent many situations from ever getting to the point that you find it necessary to spank your child. My son gets punished by taking things away. We also reward for good behavior (not as a bribe, but rewarding him when he shows some sort of maturity in a given situation). EXAMPLE: not complaining when he's told to do something - (take out trash, mow the yard, shovel snow or run the snow blower, etc.) - not just once but over a period of time that he shows positive behavior. We may buy him something he'd been wanting for a while. Or we may go do something fun as a family. As for any serious misbehavior - to be honest, my son isn't that bad of a kid. I believe that's due to our relationship. I do not take away going to a practice - in this case you're punishing a team for something they didn't do. I know in some situations it may not hurt a team but in the case of my son him not being there; especially for a game; would hurt his team immensely (being a pitcher and an above .500 hitter). Only one thing will cause me to make him quit a sport. If his grades fall below a "B." (and in this case it wouldn't be missing a practice or game - he'd have to quit the season). Though the state only requires a 1.5 GPA I think that's far too low. I require my son bring home A's and B's. Anything less will result in the loss of whatever extra curricular activity he may be involved with at the time. Plus a home grounding will also be enforced (no playstation, friends, etc.). The home stuff will lighten up if I see some immediate improvement. The whole grounding won't be released until I either see an improved grade card or interim report. Last year my son had to quit wrestling. Quitting wasn't that hard - the hard part was walking into practice with his equipment, handing it to the coach and explaining why he had to quit. That embarrassment was more powerfull than any spanking or grounding. Since baseball is his favorite sport he understands that a low grade could result in it being taken away. Though this would hurt the team I feel grades are far more important than anything else. Especially since he wants to go to Texas or Florida for college (they both have great baseball programs). For the most part he's a very good student (he's in some accelerated classes). Next year he'll be in high school (yes he'll be in 9th grade even though he'll still be 13 when the school year starts - he's young for his grade) and he'll be in an honors math and science class. College prep for social studies and english. Plus some electives geared toward engineering (blue print reading and a CAD class). He wants to be an architect.

Sorry, I got off topic a bit. BUT, I really think our relationship has more to do with his behavior than any punishment I've ever given to him. We talk a lot - sometimes just about sports as if we're just buddies and other times about life long goals and what not. And, what it's going to take to achieve those goals. He's a very hard worker. Although, sometimes he needs a little push and a reminder to stay focused. that's about the worst of it with my son. I don't worry about drugs or smoking or swearing or anything like that - basically because we've talked about it and those who do those things. He also has a pretty good core group of friends. I think that helps as well. He doesn't hang out with trouble makers. He's actually put off by them. Again, this goes back to our relationship. Talk before you have problems.

Sorry again for rambling so much. I hope I didn't appear to brag too much about my son. I sometimes do - I'm very proud of him thus far.

Hoot said:
A personal story...I was visiting with my wife's sister and her husband.

Their kids were running through the house and screaming like little heathen savages. After about the third warning, with the kids still refusing to mind their father, they came tearing around the corner and tore a nice chunk of wood molding off the wall.

Their father gave them a good 2 or 3 swats on the bottom, and then 10 minutes later said..."Get your gear...time for little league practice." These kids lived and died for little league practice as they were both good players.

Want to really "hit 'em where it hurts?" Take that little league practice away. Spanking solves nothing.

My son loved roller blade hockey and speed skating. When he disobeyed his mother and I, we didn't spank him, we took away the roller blades and explained why we were taking his skates away.

Sure...he screamed and cried and threw a fit, but after 5 minutes, we warned him that if he didn't stop his tantrum, he would lose another hockey practice. I'm sure you can guess how quiet the house got?

Spanking is done by parents who do not want to take the time and effort into being good parents.

Thats a ridiculous and simplistic view IMO. First to group or catagorize every child as one indistinct mass with no differences is just untrue.

If you have a child that is easliy manipulated with material objects or effects then sure... taking a way his skates might work. Not all children live and die for a pair of skates. There is no 1 or two things you could take from my daughter that would make her scream and cry. She's a stubborn little girl that is willing to pay the price to make her point. ( I actually love that about her). My point is I could put her in an empty room and it is not going to actually change anything. I have spanked my daughter only a few times. But I have NEVER had to do so for the same thing twice. And I never do so as a first choice or even a second. LIke each situation, every child is different.

Not only should parents be allowed to spank their children it should be allowed in school to maintain discipline too.........

A big problem I have is parents who start spanking too early. My sister in law, for example. My nephew is not quite 20 months old. The kid can't even talk to express himself. At all - I personally have never heard the child utter one single word, not even "mama", "dada", or "cat" or "dog". Now, I couldn't say for sure what goes on while she's home alone with him all day, but I know that when they all come to visit me and my husband, or when they go out to visit my in laws, she ignores the kid and expects others to keep an eye on him. But when he gets into something he shouldn't, she is always very quick to pop him on the bottom....a lot harder than necessary. Sure, he's got that diaper for some padding, but still.....all it results in is him screaming, crying, and throwing a tantrum. Or, she'll just scream "NO!" at him, and that results in more crying and tantrums. The part that I don't understand though, is the rest of us have tried to lead her by example. We've all figured out (me, my husband, and his brother (her husband/baby's father)) that if you calmly tell him no, and tell him WHY what he did was wrong, and lead him to another activity, he forgets all about trying to do whatever it was that he shouldn't be doing. At his age, I'd much rather have a calm, happy child, than a screaming child that doesn't understand what's going on, other than the fact that someone is screaming at him or hitting him. Now, as he gets older, and has more UNDERSTANDING of his actions, spanking may very well be the only thing that works as a punishment for him....but I just can't advocate hitting a toddler, especially one that cannot clearly express themself.

Sorry...everyone else is throwing in personal stories, and since I really don't want to get into my past with my stepfather, and I don't yet have a child of my own old enough to have to even THINK about discipline, I tossed out my next closest experience.

Navy Pride said:
Not only should parents be allowed to spank their children it should be allowed in school to maintain discipline too.........

No freaking way. There are MANY families that do not believe in spanking, period, and there is no way that the school should be allowed to undermine that.

Stace said:
No freaking way. There are MANY families that do not believe in spanking, period, and there is no way that the school should be allowed to undermine that.

Well when I went to school coporal punishment was allowed by the prinicipal of the school only and you know we never had any kids bring guns to school or any kids getting killed in shootings.........

Stace said:
In the real world people will beat the Hell out of you for insulting their religion with a cartoon; someone must have left that lesson out of the curriculum. So don’t physically punish the kid for insulting others, hope they listen to reason, and when they get out in the real world and insult someone with a cartoon, you defend their right to free speech, and cry when they get beat up…then call out the armed police to put the person who assaulted your sweet child in prison (that is not physical punishment, it is just sarcasm).

Navy Pride said:
Well when I went to school coporal punishment was allowed by the prinicipal of the school only and you know we never had any kids bring guns to school or any kids getting killed in shootings.........

You're saying that a few isolated incidents of sociopaths murdering fellow classmates will be stopped, if only schools are allowed to beat their students for talking during class? Could you possibly be any more irrational?

Navy Pride said:
... it should be allowed in school to maintain discipline too.
I'm not opposed to spankings in general; but, I am opposed to strangers doling them out when I'm not around. There's no way in hell that I'm going to tell my son to let some stranger hit him. Nor is there any world I which I grant permission to strangers to hit my son. Ain't gonna happen.

Pacridge said:
Spanking's just another way of saying "I can not out think a four year old. I must give in, give up and lower myself to his/her level of thinking."
I agree when it applies to using a spanking as a threat. I think that's just dumb.
If you can sit down and reason w/ your kid, why're you spanking him?

Spanking is for when words won't work. I spanked a toddler for opening the front door (while I was in the bathroom peeing) and literally running off down the (fortunately very long) driveway toward the road. Words weren't going to get the point across. Since his safety was an issue, I figured that a quick, friendly swat would be the better choice than: letting him run out into traffic; bringing him back in and letting him think he'd found a new game to play; or, counting on reason to work w/ a three year old.

I've spanked my kids bottems only a handful of times mostly when they were between 1-3 going through that whole stage of learning what is okay and what is not okay. They are being told NO all the time and they have to be told no over and over again repeatedly about the same stuff.

There's some things that you really need the NO to sink in immediately vs doing the repitition till they get it.... like running in to the street, trying to touch the stove when somethings cooking, or hitting and/or biting.

I understand the notion of spanking your child's bottem to teach them not to hit seems hypocritical to some. Like you are telling them not to do something and then you go and do it. I never looked it at it that way. I looked at it more like teaching my child if you hit someone they'll probably hit you back and I think that's a valid lesson to learn. My kids each hit me once when they were toddlers, they were hit back, and they never hit me again. I see moms in the stores struggling with toddlers that are hitting, kicking, and biting them. Those toddlers, in my opinion, need to be spanked.

Since we hardly ever spanked our children when we did tap their bottem it was shocking and got the mesage accross that this NO was an even bigger more important No than the usual NOs. If we did it too often it would lose that shock value. I also think if I talked about it before hand it wouldn't be as effective. The shock of it is important and grabs their attention. Plus it was never done hard to hurt as much as it was done quick to shock and grab attention.

Some people don't agree with spanking at all but it worked for my family during the toddler years. I think now that they are older spanking would no longer be an effective form of discipline. When they are older you can take away toys, tv, dessert, ect...and that works fine. But that wouldn't have worked when they were toddlers.

Last edited:
i agree that its ok. discipline is needed. with out it, kids/people would be disrespectful and rude.... wait, itsnt that what is going on now, because people refuse to discipline their kids?

As far as allowing teachers to hit a kid....I'm against that but I did have a conversation with my own mother when I was a kid that has stuck with me my whole life. There was a teacher in the news who was in trouble for striking a child. I asked my mom what she would do if a teacher hit me. Without even thinking she replied,

"If your behavior ever gets so bad at school that you drive a teacher to spank you I will kill you when you get home. !!!!!"

Simon W. Moon said:
I'm not opposed to spankings in general; but, I am opposed to strangers doling them out when I'm not around. There's no way in hell that I'm going to tell my son to let some stranger hit him. Nor is there any world I which I grant permission to strangers to hit my son. Ain't gonna happen.

lol. you were lucky! my mom gave permission to whomever i was with, when i was young, that if i misbahaved to spank me and let my mom know, so i got it when i got home too! ha ha ha

SHould kids be spanked? Absolutely, kids have been spanked for thousands of years for the simple reason that it works.
The issue is how much should they be spanked and how?
All punishment should be superceeded with an explanation of why there was an error that was made that results in such a punishment. Also the punishment itself should not be of the focus, but the reason for the punishment and the corrective means to be taken after the punishment. Otherwise it's just physical torment.

Girl, boy, girl, girl. Never had to spank the girls. My ace in the hole was asking them if they wanted some of what the boy got. He didn't need it after about 4 or so. Fear of pain from my father is the only thing that kept me from some of my stupider impulses of a boy.

For those that think it's okay to let someone else hit your kid.

What kind of a person is it that wants to and would hit someone else's child and what the **** are they doing around children?

Generally speaking there are just too many bad apples for parents out there. Whereas one could rightly lightly administer this sort of discipline there are those who just simply cannot... Psychology 101 teaches us if you as a child were abused, you as a parent will abuse... As a child undergoing the first part I used that trauma experience to make exception to the later part of this academic rule. I'm not one to blow my cool ,and yet I am all to often surrounded by them that are... I fear for their children.
Is it not really just an ill guise form of terror to submission..?
We should consider always the alternative/creative forms of discipline and measure our reasoning to a consistently standard level of compassion and reduced/controlled anger before we even begin to take disciplinary actions.
All good points to ponder:
Hoot said:
Spanking is done by parents who do not want to take the time and effort into being good parents.
Pacridge said:
Spanking's just another way of saying "I can not out think a four year old. I must give in, give up and lower myself to his/her level of thinking."
Hoot said:
I will agree there are times a young toddler may not be old enough to reason with. There may be times when a slap on the wrist gets the point across, especially in cases where the toddler wanders blindly into the street..etc. However, older children can be dealt with in ways that do not involve physical abuse.
Arthur Fonzarelli said:
I believe a very involved relationship with your children can prevent many situations from ever getting to the point that you find it necessary to spank your child. My son gets punished by taking things away. We also reward for good behavior (not as a bribe, but rewarding him when he shows some sort of maturity in a given situation).

Corporal punishment is child abuse!

Billo_Really said:

No its not.:roll:

Beating the crap out of the child is.

My grandmother kept me and my brother in line with a peach tree switch...
And I'm glad she didnt allow us to get away with the chit we tried to pull off.

Navy Pride said:

I actually agree with navy on something!!!!!??????

does this mean he's being reasonable for once...or maybe I'm being unreasonable.

A lot of people are afraid to hit their kids because they may be taken away. This is larger problem than most give it credit for. It's done without a jury and I've seen it done on more than one occasion. Yes social workers are a stressed lot and I have a lot of respect for them. But they can be fooled and it's not uncommon for a child to believe the grass to be greener on the otherside.

Now I'm no expert in child psych but I'm in a position to observe without being a full participant. Yes there is a problem when parents overspank their kids. Yes there is a problem when some parents don't discipline their kids at all. Yes there are situations where the child turns out just fine either because of the teaching of their parents or in spite of them.

Spanking should be an option for school systems because they are trained to handle children and in these cases should be administered by a neutral party. And yes.. some punishment may be administered unfairly. But I think the exclusion is more harmful for the children and society in the long run.

I love the families where spanking is not needed. Respect of most children can be earned without physical contact. However most is not all. There was a time when children feared and respected the teachers , now that has been reversed. Children have no need or desire to discipline themselves, this is the adult's job. And we tie the hands of our educators in ways most would be surprised to learn.

Originally posted by cherokee
No its not.

Beating the crap out of the child is.

My grandmother kept me and my brother in line with a peach tree switch...
And I'm glad she didnt allow us to get away with the chit we tried to pull off.
You don't believe that at all. Think back to when you were a kid. During the beating. Were you thinking at that point you were glad she did it? Were you appreciating every swat? Have you forgotton what a small child sees when this very large human comes at them in anger? And then physically assaults them?

There are other ways of nurturing a child. We don't have to program violence into them. Most parents do what their parents had done to them. Pass on the chain. Share the pain.

Children are little persons that every right to have an opinion. They have a right to be mad if they get grounded or scolded. They have a right to question whether their punishment is just. They have a right to ask why they are being punished. They have a right to know why they have to do something. And the answer should not be, "Because I said so!"

Parents would make it easier on themselves if they would spend a little more time validating a childs feelings or opinions. Not giving in to them. But simply acknowledging this is how they feel about a certain issue. And let it go at that. That breeds mutual respect. Something many in this forum could stand to learn as well.

How about spanking in relationships? Is that ok? LOL! J/K

Billo_Really said:
You don't believe that at all. Think back to when you were a kid. During the beating. Were you thinking at that point you were glad she did it? Were you appreciating every swat?

I don't think that any child appreciates getting spanked..........................that would be the purpose of a spanking....they don't like it so they wise up and quit getting caught:mrgreen: .....discipline and respect are more important than making sure that the child never experiences pain........... well that's my opinion anyway.....

Billo_Really said:
You don't believe that at all. Think back to when you were a kid. During the beating. Were you thinking at that point you were glad she did it? Were you appreciating every swat? Have you forgotton what a small child sees when this very large human comes at them in anger? And then physically assaults them?

There are other ways of nurturing a child. We don't have to program violence into them. Most parents do what their parents had done to them. Pass on the chain. Share the pain.

Children are little persons that every right to have an opinion. They have a right to be mad if they get grounded or scolded. They have a right to question whether their punishment is just. They have a right to ask why they are being punished. They have a right to know why they have to do something. And the answer should not be, "Because I said so!"

Parents would make it easier on themselves if they would spend a little more time validating a childs feelings or opinions. Not giving in to them. But simply acknowledging this is how they feel about a certain issue. And let it go at that. That breeds mutual respect. Something many in this forum could stand to learn as well.

Sorry billo but I am grateful now that I've somewhat grown up
that my parents and grand parents raised me the way they did.

You speak of kids as being or having the ability of
comprehending as an adult would.

Discipline and Respect

Re: Is it OK to spank your children?

Synch said:
Yes/no?

I know there are researches out there that link corporal punishment to suicide, violence, and lowered IQ, etc, but they include the worst of the abuses, domestic violence, etc. what are your opinions on physically punishing children?

This research is flawed at best and must be ignored.
Children bought up in a loving manner will be happy and successful, irregardless of being spanked or not...
The key is love.

Many are never taught this - how to discipline and bring up a child...They lack confidence, then place their trust in some wacko with book writing ability...
However, there are good books out there......

Billo_Really said:

No it's not. It depends on how it's applied and the reason for it.

Perhaps if Mssrs Harris and Klebold had been given ten lashes each, in public for their earlier crime...car theft, wasn't it?...then perhaps they'd have learned to behave....then again, maybe it should have been their parents that should have been whipped...

A lot depends on the culture, too. 500 years ago, when battles were fought face to face, would it be abuse to coddle the child and not prepare him for future conflict? That child would become meat real quick.

Back
Top Bottom