• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it News? or is it Propaganda?

Should 'News Media' be held to the standards of Journalism, as do other professions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who issues the license? Homeland Security?
See, if there's a license involved we're not talking about a right, we're talking about a privilege. You've made the free press not free anymore.
Sits just fine with you apparently but anyone who remembers what America is supposed to be about will have a problem with it.
The free press is indeed a "Constitutional Right".

And if a free press was important enough to make a "Right" it's important enough to demand it tells the truth!

And reporting propaganda, lies, and fake news as journalism; is not a free press.

I think the US Supreme Court would be an excellent choice for free press oversight.

The free press is indeed a "Constitutional Right".

And if a free press was important enough to make a "Right" it's important enough to demand it tells the truth!

And reporting propaganda, lies, and fake news as journalism; is not a free press.

I think the US Supreme Court would be an excellent choice for free press oversight.
The point you ignored is that if a license is required it isn't a right, it's a privilege. It's not a free press anymore. Don't you know any 2nd Amendment advocates who can explain this to you?

Only licensed news organizations will be permitted to publicly perform the duties of journalism and shall do so in a fair and balanced manner with the only agenda being the truth, including all pertinent facts and no omission or addition of anything that might deflect from reality.

So you have faith in government to fairly and wisely and impartially determine which news is allowed to be printed? That's ... either insane (if you believe it) or terrifying (if you fully realize it's a way for the government to block free speech, and just don't care).

Another alt-right attack on the free press. What will be their next battle in their endless war on America?

I'm suggesting news agencies should be licensed as legitimate institutions of professional journalism.
Licensed by whom?

What happens if the journalists start investigating the agency that licenses journalists?

And if a licensed News Agency is reporting baseless accusations and biased opinions; then it should lose its license!
What are these "baseless accusations?"

Do you not understand that opinions, including biased opinions, are protected by the 1st Amendment?

What will you do, if a news outlet that you read loses its license for reporting baseless accusations and publishing biased opinions?

Just as the American Bar Association disbars unethical lawyers and State Medical Boards revoke incompetent doctors' licenses.
Congratulations on displaying your ignorance.

The ABA does not, and cannot, disbar anyone. The ability to practice law is determined by state and federal regulatory entities. Disbarring someone requires a legal proceeding.

State medical boards are... wait for it... also government entities.

Plus, lawyers and doctors don't have a constitutional right to work in those fields.

But there is a way to tell the difference.....
actual evidence to verify baseless accusations and biased opinions is all but nonexistent.
And again, what are these "baseless accusations?" Give us some examples of "baseless accusations," published as news, that were not subsequently corrected.

Who issues the license? Homeland Security?
See, if there's a license involved we're not talking about a right, we're talking about a privilege. You've made the free press not free anymore.
Sits just fine with you apparently but anyone who remembers what America is supposed to be about will have a problem with it.
I find that people who whine about MSM being fake news and propoganda for the most part get their news from conspiracy web sites or fox news.

So you have faith in government to fairly and wisely and impartially determine which news is allowed to be printed?
I have absolutely no "faith in government to fairly and wisely and impartially determine which news is allowed".

But when factual verification is the only element to be determined; "Impartiality" is removed from the equation.

Either the facts are the facts, or they're not.....It's either the month of October, or it's not.....This ain't rocket surgery!

And until an opinion or a baseless accusation can be factually verified it should never be considered "journalism".

That's ... either insane (if you believe it) or terrifying (if you fully realize it's a way for the government to block free speech, and just don't care).
What I do fully realize is that free speech and the American Dream are already under attack by radical far-left ideologues.

And that 21st Century MSM journalism has been reduced to an instrument of Marxist propaganda to undermine US elections.

If their control over our so-called "Free Press" is permitted to continue; the American Dream will become a Marxist Dystopia.

And that alone terrifies me!

They are not news outlets, but instead corporate propaganda outlets for wealth and power no different than the Nazi Ministry of Propaganda.

It should be litigated whether or not they actually are "news" outlets and if not then denied special protection of libel laws given to legitimate news outlets.

Many of society's problems are now the result of MSM lies, fake news and propaganda reported as Journalism to a trusting public.

Wow!

Now I will agree that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and the boys and girls at Faux News certainly are the purveyors of right wing propaganda

msn leans liberal

This is a pretty good rating chart. Try sticking with sources in the middle for a while and see how that works out for you.

allsidesmediabiaschart-version1.1_0.jpg

You should read the OP more carefully.....You are way-way-way off track from what I'm saying here.

I'm suggesting news agencies should be licensed as legitimate institutions of professional journalism.

Professional journalism is in-depth investigating, the relentless search for facts and reporting only the truth.

Parroting baseless accusations and biased opinions is not journalism.....it's simply lies, propaganda and fake news.

And if a licensed News Agency is reporting baseless accusations and biased opinions; then it should lose its license!

What does that look like to you? When a News Agency loses its license what happens? Are they forced to stop publishing? Are their news rooms and distribution facilities shut down? Are editors and publishers and reporters arrested? Subpoenaed? What?

State Medical Boards revoke incompetent doctors' licenses.

And when that happens, the incompetent doctor is not allowed to practice. So journalists and pundits would not be allowed to write? Is that what you are suggesting?

I'm not suggesting big brother government has to approve or edit what they say...they're simply not allowed to pass it off as news.
Oh, I see. So a license would simply be an endorsement by ... the government? Anyone could still publish whatever they want, but if the government is displeased with what they write, they would lose their government endorsement?

If a foreign news agency is violating the standards of American Journalism, they shouldn't be allowed to market their "fake news" here either.

Are you familiar with something called "Radio Free Europe"? It sounds like you are promoting the very reason RFE came into existence. When governments are repressive, they take steps to limit the sources of information available to their citizens. The Soviet Union was notorious for jamming RFE signals throughout the Eastern Bloc. At the same time, the Soviets had their own special "licensed" publication called Pravda. That was expected to be the primary source by which Soviet citizens would be kept "informed." Thailand makes it a criminal offense for any of their domestic Internet service providers to allow any material that is about politics, religion, or sex. That sound good to you?

Last edited:
It's weird that someone who thinks almost all the media and almost all of the government are biased against conservatives also thinks the government should be able to shut down media outlets for being to conservative.

It's weird that someone who thinks almost all the media and almost all of the government are biased against conservatives also thinks the government should be able to shut down media outlets for being to conservative.
It just weird that facts are anti-conservative.

Back
Top Bottom