• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it Mr. Abe or Mr. Shinzo?

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. If you read English-language sources, you know that the prime minister of Japan is referred to as "Shinzo Abe." Thus: "Mr. Abe."

2. The Japanese (along with the Chinese and the Koreans) always give their family name first. Thus: "Abe Shinzo."

3. Some influential people in Japan are now requesting the Western media to start using the Japanese order of names.

a. For example, we all know that China's president is "Xi Jinping." Thus: "Mr. Xi." Not: "Mr. Jinping."

I hope that the Western media will agree to this change in order to show proper respect to Japanese culture.

(More details on today's website of the Japan Times.)

I like the variations of: Dude!; Dude?; ohhh, Dude; and, seriously, Dude. Always capitalize the first "d" out of respect.

1. If you read English-language sources, you know that the prime minister of Japan is referred to as "Shinzo Abe." Thus: "Mr. Abe."

2. The Japanese (along with the Chinese and the Koreans) always give their family name first. Thus: "Abe Shinzo."

3. Some influential people in Japan are now requesting the Western media to start using the Japanese order of names.

a. For example, we all know that China's president is "Xi Jinping." Thus: "Mr. Xi." Not: "Mr. Jinping."

I hope that the Western media will agree to this change in order to show proper respect to Japanese culture.

It is neither Mr. Abe nor Mr. Shinzo. The proper is Abe-Kakka.

It would be "Shinzo-san". In Japanese name order, the first name comes last. So, Shinzo Abe would be "Abe Shinzo". To be respectful, you address the person by adding "San" or "san", Like saying "Mr.", etc., though not quite. When choosing which name to address with "San", it would be the last name in order. So, that would be "Shinzo-San" or "Shinzo-san".

It would be "Shinzo-san". In Japanese name order, the first name comes last. So, Shinzo Abe would be "Abe Shinzo". To be respectful, you address the person by adding "San" or "san", Like saying "Mr.", etc., though not quite. When choosing which name to address with "San", it would be the last name in order. So, that would be "Shinzo-San" or "Shinzo-san".

Shinzo-san would be appropriate only for family and friends. Abe-san with casual acquaintances. Abe-kun probably more commonly used than Abe-san. And for everyone else, especially when referring to him in terms of being prime minister, Abe-kakka.

Edit: I should add that I am not sure how often the "-kakka" honorific is used in practice, and it is important to note that the primary purpose of honorifics is to confuse people who are not Japanese. Handy primer: Japanese Honorifics / Useful Notes - TV Tropes

Shinzo-san would be appropriate only for family and friends. Abe-san with casual acquaintances. Abe-kun probably more commonly used than Abe-san. And for everyone else, especially when referring to him in terms of being prime minister, Abe-kakka.

Edit: I should add that I am not sure how often the "-kakka" honorific is used in practice, and it is important to note that the primary purpose of honorifics is to confuse people who are not Japanese. Handy primer: Japanese Honorifics / Useful Notes - TV Tropes

"the primary purpose of honorifics is to confuse people who are not Japanese"

Which is why, as an American born in Japan, I always use what to Americans is the first name or what name the person gives me, followed by "san", unless advised otherwise. I always rely on being politely corrected. I can't remember the details as may apply to what situation I may or may not recognize.

"the primary purpose of honorifics is to confuse people who are not Japanese"

Which is why, as an American born in Japan, I always use what to Americans is the first name or what name the person gives me, followed by "san", unless advised otherwise. I always rely on being politely corrected. I can't remember the details as may apply to what situation I may or may not recognize.

Best advice I have been given is ask. If you are not sure how to refer to some one, ask what they prefer. If you are trying to be polite, most people will work with you kinda thing.

Best advice I have been given is ask. If you are not sure how to refer to some one, ask what they prefer. If you are trying to be polite, most people will work with you kinda thing.

I feed back their name in question form, like when introduced to "Abe Shinzo" I might say "Shinzo-san?". That either gets a nod of approval or polite correction. I like to give it a try to begin with as it seems to be appreciated. I think.

Back
Top Bottom