• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it morally acceptable to you?

Choose which actions you think are morally acceptable:

• Embryonic stem cell research

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Gambling

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • Sex between 2 unmarried people

Votes: 35 83.3%
  • Medical testing on animals

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • The death penalty

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Buying/wearing animal fur or leather

Votes: 38 90.5%
  • Doctor-assisted suicide

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Cloning humans

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Polygamy

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Hunting for food

Votes: 42 100.0%

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Please review the list of actions one might be involved with and decide which ones are morally acceptable to you. In other words, which actions could you do with a clear conscience knowing it was perfectly okay morally. Hope that made sense. :)

The poll is coming! Multiple choice. :)

Last edited:
When you say "acceptable" just how acceptable does it need to be? Are you asking if we would be willing to commit these actions personally or if we are comfortable with others doing this?

You couldn't get me to hunt for food but I find it acceptable for others to do so. That's my example. So, please clarify. Thanks.

I don't have a problem with any of the above except the death penalty, and even with the death penalty I have less of a problem with the death penalty itself than the fact that it is so poorly and inconsistently implemented in practice.

When you say "acceptable" just how acceptable does it need to be? Are you asking if we would be willing to commit these actions personally or if we are comfortable with others doing this?

You couldn't get me to hunt for food but I find it acceptable for others to do so. That's my example. So, please clarify. Thanks.

If you find it acceptable for anyone, including yourself.

Hmmm. I pray daily to have sex with unmarried people. All the other stuff, I'm not too excited about. Well, that's not true. I like clones and wish I had one.

If you find it acceptable for anyone, including yourself.

The only things I voted against were the death penalty, cloning of humans, and testing on animals.

I'm against the death penalty because we can't seem to do it humanely, and we still haven't been able to ensure we are killing the right person.

I'm against cloning only insofar as the cloning of a complete human. That leads to too many "slave" nightmare scenarios. I do not oppose cloning human organs and body parts.

I oppose testing on animals because I think it is unnecessary and inhumane.

Hmmm. I pray daily to have sex with unmarried people. All the other stuff, I'm not too excited about. Well, that's not true. I like clones and wish I had one.

So you could have sex with him?

There's nothing on this list I consider ethically wrong or even seriously problematic.

The two I would take most issue with are both polygamy and cloning, the former in particular for its tendency to result in women being treated as cattle. I'd possibly support all of the above in limited forms though.

Please review the list of actions one might be involved with and decide which ones are morally acceptable to you. In other words, which actions could you do with a clear conscience knowing it was perfectly okay morally. Hope that made sense. :)

When you say "Sex between two unmarried people" are you talking about them watching or participating? I mean, if they're just kind of looking in you might not even know they're there but if they jump in the pile it's a whole different story.

Most of these rely on the circumstances reason is very important then the action itself . Id support animal testing if they are testing something that could be used to save many lives not cosmetics or certain skin allergens .

Some of them were only what I would in abstract support for someone else. I would not raise my child to be okay with doing some of those things. The assisted suicide, cloning, and so forth-I am against.

I voted for everything except cloning humans and polygamy. If I could have a do-over, I'd vote for polygamy as well. My mistake. So, to further clarify my answer (in case it isn't clear), the only action I consider immoral is cloning humans.

Taking the OP at her word, I only voted for things that I could do myself with a completely clear conscience.

But there are a lot of things that are situational, "it depends" stuff. IMHO gambling for small stakes doesn't hurt anything... the problem comes in when people start playing with the rent money, tapping into the nest egg, and betting the farm... things they can't afford to lose.

The ones I didn't vote for are medical testing on animals, death penalty, fur, and cloning humans.

If humans want to improve our circumstances -- which usually involves worsening them for other species -- then we should have the balls to either take the risk ourselves, or find ways to do it without using a live, sentient creature (which is actually possible now, so there's really no excuse). And if you're curious, yes, I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is for the right cause.

Death penalty? There is no way to know we have the right person. There is no justification for killing someone when we have other ways of protecting society. And let's remember, that's what the criminal system is for: to protect people.

Fur I wouldn't have a problem with, EXCEPT for the way it's harvested, if someone like me were to buy it. Do I care if some tribesman is wearing fur? Nope. Because I know he took down the animal as quickly as he could, ate all of it that he could, and used all the fur he could, and that he actually needed all of those things. But in the developed world, animals are often skinned alive for their fur, and then just left there to bleed to death. The rest of the animal is simply wasted. That is completely unacceptable.

Cloning humans is a more complex one to explain. First is that clones often have poor health outcomes. The weightiness of simply bringing in life is heavy enough, without bringing in life you know will suffer extraordinarily. In addition, there is no altruistic reason to clone anything. Regardless of their DNA, they will still be a different person than the original. So the only reason to do it is idle scientific curiosity, or an obsessive desire to pretend death doesn't happen. Neither of those things benefit the person who was cloned.

The ones I voted for are stem cell research, gambling, "fornication," assisted suicide, polygamy, and hunting for food.

Using embryos for research is really not complicated to me. Embryos do not feel things or suffer. There is simply no reason not to.

Gambling is perfectly fine in moderation. It's a person's own decision where they want to throw their money.

Sex without a marriage license seems like a completely silly thing to even care about. It's just a piece of paper. It says nothing about the situation, and people should not feel guilty for having sex without a piece of paper.

People have a right to their bodies absolutely, which means they have a right to decide when they die, and if they require assistance and have found someone willing, they have a right to enlist that person's help.

Polygamy is a non-issue unless you're talking about the slavery-type that exists in some cultures. The simple state of having a relationship that involves more than 2 people just isn't anyone else's business, for the same reason fornication isn't.

Hunting for food. I would actually rather hunt than buy from a store. That way I know everything about the animal that I need to know; I know they died as quickly as I could manage. I know all parts of them went to good use. And I know they were free up until that point. I consider all of these to be important ethical considerations, which are very hard to prove with store-bought meat. Unfortunately, I don't really have the situational ability to hunt. But, on the other hand, I don't eat much meat. I don't desire it very much, and when I do, it's usually fish. So it's not too tough for me to seek out fish who were wild caught from managed areas to ensure environmental stability.

OK...who voted for hunting but not wearing fur? How does that even make sense? Why hunt if you're not going to use everything that you kill?

The same goes for the discrepancy between sex outside of wedlock and polygamy....it's a superficial difference at best!

OK...who voted for hunting but not wearing fur? How does that even make sense? Why hunt if you're not going to use everything that you kill?

The same goes for the discrepancy between sex outside of wedlock and polygamy....it's a superficial difference at best!

Me. See above.

It's not about killing animals. It's about HOW the animals are killed.

I answered the way I did because, for myself, in the developed world, I am not ok with fur. However, I am ok with a tribesman using it. Again, see my post immediately above.

Although I voted for both fornication and polygamy.

Me. See above.

It's not about killing animals. It's about HOW the animals are killed.

I answered the way I did because, for myself, in the developed world, I am not ok with fur. However, I am ok with a tribesman using it. Again, see my post immediately above.

Although I voted for both fornication and polygamy.

Ok...just to play devil's advocate, what do you propose we do with the hides of animals we kill en masse for food?

Child welfare issues on polygamy, primarily.

Ok...just to play devil's advocate, what do you propose we do with the hides of animals we kill en masse for food?

Well, to begin with, I have a problem with the way mainstream farms raise and kill animals. So if I had my way, that system would be overhauled entirely. I do not buy any animal products from places like that. I try my best (knowing that there are all kinds of loopholes and I can never be 100% sure) to buy animal products from places with more ethical practices.

If said places with more ethical practices where to skin the animals AFTER a quick and ethical death and use it to produce fur merchandise, I would not have a problem with that.

But that is almost never how fur is sourced in the developed world.

Child welfare issues on polygamy, primarily.

I'm not following. Are you suggesting that the children which result from a polygamous relationship are better off than the ones that result from a string of casual relationships?

Well, to begin with, I have a problem with the way mainstream farms raise and kill animals. So if I had my way, that system would be overhauled entirely. I do not buy any animal products from places like that. I try my best (knowing that there are all kinds of loopholes and I can never be 100% sure) to buy animal products from places with more ethical practices.

If said places with more ethical practices where to skin the animals AFTER a quick and ethical death and use it to produce fur merchandise, I would not have a problem with that.

But that is almost never how fur is sourced in the developed world.

I guess.....I mean, I've never had a Chinchilla burger so I understand where you're coming from but I was kind of looking at the broad spectrum.

I guess.....I mean, I've never had a Chinchilla burger so I understand where you're coming from but I was kind of looking at the broad spectrum.

Well, for animals killed in mainstream meat markets, I would rather the hides be used than just thrown away. However, I don't consider it to EVER be acceptable to skin the animal alive, which is common practice for fur found in the developed world. If I could only pick one, I would rather the animal be killed quickly and the fur wasted, than skinned alive and the fur used.

Well, for animals killed in mainstream meat markets, I would rather the hides be used than just thrown away. However, I don't consider it to EVER be acceptable to skin the animal alive, which is common practice for fur found in the developed world. If I could only pick one, I would rather the animal be killed quickly and the fur wasted, than skinned alive and the fur used.

I am a hunter, and I cannot comprehend the callous-ness of someone who would skin an animal alive and leave it to die slowly afterward. I also cannot comprehend how this would have any utility... SURELY it is harder to skin a live animal than a dead one??

Are you sure this is really common?

I haven't heard of skinning animals alive but, frankly, I don't pay attention to that stuff. The practice really doesn't make sense to me since it's a whole heck of a lot easier to get the skin off something that isn't kicking and clawing but if you say they do it then yeah, that's pretty mean and nasty.

Back
Top Bottom