• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it morally acceptable to you?

Choose which actions you think are morally acceptable:

• Embryonic stem cell research

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Gambling

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • Sex between 2 unmarried people

Votes: 35 83.3%
  • Medical testing on animals

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • The death penalty

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Buying/wearing animal fur or leather

Votes: 38 90.5%
  • Doctor-assisted suicide

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Cloning humans

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Polygamy

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Hunting for food

Votes: 42 100.0%

• Total voters
I am a hunter, and I cannot comprehend the callous-ness of someone who would skin an animal alive and leave it to die slowly afterward. I also cannot comprehend how this would have any utility... SURELY it is harder to skin a live animal than a dead one??

Are you sure this is really common?

Hanging them upside down. Puts them in shock and it's easy to bind them.

Most fur we buy here is hard to find of the origin of. Much of it comes from China. Some are intentionally skinned alive, and others are accidentally skinned alive because they don't really care to make sure the animal is dead. This also happens in US slaughter operations, because the animals are killed mechanically. Sometimes the machine fails, and the animal is dropped into oil and grinding pits still alive. Skinning alive is not necessarily ubiquitous, but for me, it is not even worth taking the risk.

Yeah, there is a wide swath of difference between a hunter and someone who could do something like that.

Hanging them upside down. Puts them in shock and it's easy to bind them.

Most fur we buy here is hard to find of the origin of. Much of it comes from China. Some are intentionally skinned alive, and others are accidentally skinned alive because they don't really care to make sure the animal is dead. This also happens in US slaughter operations, because the animals are killed mechanically. Sometimes the machine fails, and the animal is dropped into oil and grinding pits still alive. Skinning alive is not necessarily ubiquitous, but for me, it is not even worth taking the risk.

Yeah, there is a wide swath of difference between a hunter and someone who could do something like that.

Appalling.

My father taught me to hunt, and he also taught me the Code: respect the prey you hunt, it is a life and wants to live as much as you do. Kill quickly and cleanly, don't let the prey suffer a moment longer than absolutely necessary. Make the best use of as much of the animal as possible, in respect for the life you took.

Well Dad was part Native too, but I figured any hunter could not help but come to respect the animals he hunts.

I'd shun anyone who did anything half that bad.

Appalling.

My father taught me to hunt, and he also taught me the Code: respect the prey you hunt, it is a life and wants to live as much as you do. Kill quickly and cleanly, don't let the prey suffer a moment longer than absolutely necessary. Make the best use of as much of the animal as possible, in respect for the life you took.

Well Dad was part Native too, but I figured any hunter could not help but come to respect the animals he hunts.

I'd shun anyone who did anything half that bad.

Yeah. I know a vegetarian who only eats meat when a friend of mine goes hunting. That guy will sit in a tree for hours waiting for the perfect shot to bring down a deer. It ain't worth it if he isn't pretty sure he can kill it quickly.

I personally go with what my body tells me it needs, which does include fish and some other meats in winter. But I try my damndest to be careful where I get it from.

I have no problem with killing to eat. Hell, I have an obligate carnivore I share my home with, and she gets meat. When I say meat, I don't mean stuff in a can with a bunch of other additives and supplements. I mean actual meat. Organs, finely ground bones, and all, uncooked.

I started looking into it from the perspective of nutritional balance, but what I found is that it actually also allows me to be more certain that the meat she eats was ethically obtained, like I try to do for myself.

I think respecting the things we kill to eat is something people should care more about. A lot of people associate these arguments with sanctimonious hyper-vegans and automatically shut their ears, but it's not an either-or proposition.

A simple chromosomic addition could theoretically provide a female counterpart but assuming that's not the case, I would have sex with my clone and I would insist on paying for it in hopes of offending the moralistic ones who don't approve of prostitution.

My primary motive is not sex though. My purpose is to finally have someone capable of intelligent conversation.

Plus, t wil give new meaning to the expression "go **** yourself".

So you could have sex with him?

There's nothing on this list I consider ethically wrong or even seriously problematic.

I don't really see why human cloning would be a problem. Why should a clone be treated any differently than anyone else? We already use artificial techniques and test tube babies. They're no different than anyone else.

The ones I didn't check were:
Medical testing on animals
The death penalty
Buying/wearing animal fur/leather
Cloning humans
Hunting for food

But with some caveats. The question was which ones could I PERSONALLY do with a clear conscience. I am a vegan so I personally think it is wrong for me to eat or wear animal products. However, I don't think society has caught up with me on that yet and I don't judge others for eating meat. And if you are going to kill an animal for meat you might as well use as much of its body as you can, so I don't judge meat eaters who wear leather. However, if you are wearing the fur of an animal that was just killed for its fur, then you are a douche. And if you are going to eat meat it is better you hunt it yourself than to obtain it from a factory farm.

Medical testing on animals is currently a necessary evil in my book. I am a vegan but I am also a speciesist. If experimenting on animals can save the life of humans then I think it should be done with the hopes of finding a better alternative in the future. But I didn't check it because I personally couldn't do it with a clean conscience.

I don't really see why human cloning would be a problem. Why should a clone be treated any differently than anyone else? We already use artificial techniques and test tube babies. They're no different than anyone else.

My problem with cloning a human is there has to be a first one. And until you see how that first one develops you don't know what the side affects will be. We have learned some species do experience side effects from cloning. So that amounts to experimenting on a human, one who didn't consent to the experiment.

My problem with cloning a human is there has to be a first one. And until you see how that first one develops you don't know what the side affects will be. We have learned some species do experience side effects from cloning. So that amounts to experimenting on a human, one who didn't consent to the experiment.

A clone would legally be the offspring of the dna source's parents so you would need their permission to create another child of them.

A clone would legally be the offspring of the dna source's parents so you would need their permission to create another child of them.

Hmmm, so if I had a clone made of myself, would my parents be on the hook for child support? :)

No child consents to be born with birth defects. I'm sure the kinks and problems could be sorted out before attempting human cloning. I'm not saying that the technology is ready, merely that I don't see ethical problems when it is.

I voted yes for everything on this one. The only one I even had to give much thought to was cloning humans, but as long as the clone has all the legal rights of any other person, I'd say it's fine. It's not really any different than a set of identical twins.

I have no moral problem with any of them.

Please review the list of actions one might be involved with and decide which ones are morally acceptable to you. In other words, which actions could you do with a clear conscience knowing it was perfectly okay morally. Hope that made sense. :)

The poll is coming! Multiple choice. :)

I have no problem with any of those with the exception of death penalty and animal testing. First off, I wouldn't dump a chemical onto a rabbit or any other animal. (This view has been made by the fact I grew up in a household with around 5 cats minimum!) Animals are an individual (Individual being human or entity) and I consider the non aggression principle as part of my morals, therefore animal testing is against my morals. The death penalty also subscribes to that view. :2razz:

When you say "acceptable" just how acceptable does it need to be? Are you asking if we would be willing to commit these actions personally or if we are comfortable with others doing this?

You couldn't get me to hunt for food but I find it acceptable for others to do so. That's my example. So, please clarify. Thanks.

I suppose I'd hunt for food but not eat it myself. I'm a conservationist more than a preservationist. I help people tend livestock, even though I don't eat it.

then you by your answers must be a LIBERAL yes??

I'm fine with them all - why not have more fun ideas?

Back
Top Bottom