• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is It Morally Acceptable To Kill A Clone?

Pozessed

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I want to assume that a scientist has created a clone of himself. A perfect replica of the scientist as a baby. This clone has developed the same as any other human aside from it was created in a lab. I also want to assume that the clone would live a happy and normal life if released into society.

Is it morally acceptable for the scientist to destroy the clone because the scientist found it undesirable? Please elaborate.

I want to assume that a scientist has created a clone of himself. A perfect replica of the scientist as a baby. This clone has developed the same as any other human aside from it was created in a lab. I also want to assume that the clone would live a happy and normal life if released into society.

Is it morally acceptable for the scientist to destroy the clone because the scientist found it undesirable? Please elaborate.

I don't think it makes any difference the method by which the zygote is created. Once it exists it may be treated just as any other zygote is treated. If a baby has resulted from the replication of one individual's DNA it is a human being nonetheless and should be treated as such.

One would have to consider a fully-born cloned human being "property" in order to treat it as a disposable non-human entity.

That is the mentality of every slaver in history.

It is one thing to clone a part, like a new heart, arm, etc.

Quite another to clone an entire thinking, feeling human being and then treat him/her like property.

So, no; it would not be morally acceptable to clone a human being and then kill him/her. :no:

Last edited:

depends upon the age of the clone

destroying a test tube clone, no problem

destroying a fully formed and functioning clone, no thus a line would have be drawn

One would have to consider a fully-born cloned human being "property" in order to treat it as a disposable non-human entity.

That is the mentality of every slaver in history.

It is one thing to clone a part, like a new heart, arm, etc.

Quite another to clone an entire thinking, feeling human being and then treat him/her like property.

So, no; it would not be morally acceptable to clone a human being and then kill him/her. :no:

Using the word "being" synonymously with "person" and not using the existence definition correct?

Using the word "being" synonymously with "person" correct?

Using the term "being" to mean the stage of development where there is a viable human baby capable of surviving outside the womb. I am Pro-choice during the early stages of human embryonic development.

Using the term "being" to mean the stage of development where there is a viable human baby capable of surviving outside the womb. I am Pro-choice during the early stages of human embryonic development.
Thanks for the clarification. :)

Depends how developed the clone is. For me to consider something a person, in the moral sense, it must have a mind. So if the clone's brain is developed enough that thought and awareness is capable, it is wrong to terminate it. Prior to that there isn't a person so I have no problem terminating.

According to some anti-choicers, one of the things that makes it immoral to kill a newly conceived zygote is that it has unique DNA. According to that logic, it would be moral to kill a clone because its' DNA is not unique. The same goes for identical twins.

But my position is based on the laws set through the democratic process so it's acceptable to abort a clone up until its' born.

No. Though if he did so, it would be morally acceptable for the state to execute him for murder.

Before I can respond I need you to clarify at what point in the clone's development the scientist intends to destroy the clone. Thanx.

I can't help but find it interesting that peoples morality seems to depend on the word person. A word that I might that has no objective basis whatsoever.

I also can't help but find it interesting that in the abortion debate people find it morally acceptable to kill a human being at a certain stage of development.

Well, as long as it doesn't know that I killed it, it's fine. What in the actual **** is that train of thought?

I can't help but find it interesting that peoples morality seems to depend on the word person. A word that I might that has no objective basis whatsoever.

I also can't help but find it interesting that in the abortion debate people find it morally acceptable to kill a human being at a certain stage of development.

Well, as long as it doesn't know that I killed it, it's fine. What in the actual **** is that train of thought?

When a human is born, they receive the rights that any other person alive would. That is the train of thought. It really isn't that hard to understand, unless you think every human being is a miraculous gift from god that has a soul. And even then, at least that being won't be born into the world so that they can sin and send themselves to hell like the majority of the world population.

When a human is born, they receive the rights that any other person alive would. That is the train of thought. It really isn't that hard to understand, unless you think every human being is a miraculous gift from god that has a soul. And even then, at least that being won't be born into the world so that they can sin and send themselves to hell like the majority of the world population.

It's a question of morality, not a question of law. When I'm asking you a question on your own morality I'm not looking for some legalize about what you think is a person or not. I don't care about legal terms or legality that speak towards how the state views the topic. What I want is what your conscience tells you about the subject and your reasoning for feeling that way. That's really all I want from you, and telling me some pointless drivel about legalize is frankly doing it wrong.

I can't help but find it interesting that peoples morality seems to depend on the word person.
Perhaps if you took the time to educate yourself about the meaning that most people associate with the word, then you would find it not just interesting but relevant.

A word that I might that has no objective basis whatsoever.
In your world probably not, but such limitations are not applicable to reality.

And that too is due to YOUR limitations only.

Well, as long as it doesn't know that I killed it, it's fine.
And such stupid remarks ARE the result of the previously mentioned limitation.

What in the actual **** is that train of thought?
Why do you ask since it clearly is way beyond what you care about or can understand?

Perhaps if you took the time to educate yourself about the meaning that most people associate with the word, then you would find it not just interesting but relevant.

In your world probably not, but such limitations are not applicable to reality.

And that too is due to YOUR limitations only.

And such stupid remarks ARE the result of the previously mentioned limitation.

Why do you ask since it clearly is way beyond what you care about or can understand?

Try putting more personal insults in your posts if you can. /sarcasm

Yes. There can only be one! [emoji12]

It's a question of morality, not a question of law. When I'm asking you a question on your own morality I'm not looking for some legalize about what you think is a person or not. I don't care about legal terms or legality that speak towards how the state views the topic. What I want is what your conscience tells you about the subject and your reasoning for feeling that way. That's really all I want from you, and telling me some pointless drivel about legalize is frankly doing it wrong.

You completely skipped around the primary points made by ajn678.

Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post

When a human is born, they receive the rights that any other person alive would. That is the train of thought. It really isn't that hard to understand, unless you think every human being is a miraculous gift from god that has a soul.
And even then, at least that being won't be born into the world so that they can sin and send themselves to hell like the majority of the world population.

If you have a heart-felt belief that abortion is immoral, great, don't have one. Don't have a relationship with someone who believes abortion is a choice and is moral.

Meanwhile how is the rest of the world's reproductive activities, births or abortions any of your personal concern? Do you fear that the world will end because of abortion?

There's plenty of evidence that the world population is doing just fine...and despite all of the forms of death of BORN persons throughout history. Abortions aren't counted as human being population deaths, by the way. If not born - they didn't, do, or will exist. The yet to be born aren't counted in our census. Do believe they should be?

Hell, almost half of the world population was wiped out in the early 1300s because of the bubonic plague and human populations bounced right back.

Do you believe in a supernatural entity going to punish humanity for every abortion performed? There's quite a few religions, which don't hold that belief. Minnie's taken the time to list all of those.

Oh, and while you hate legal anything - we are a nation ruled by laws. Legal is 100% necessary.

Before I can respond I need you to clarify at what point in the clone's development the scientist intends to destroy the clone. Thanx.

I left that open for consideration. People argue that it would be moral so long as the clone could not sustain on its own. Others have argued that the clone would be the scientists property to do as he wished.
You can imagine the clone coming to existence however you'd like. Some people offered the idea of growing from a test tube. Others the idea of walking into a machine and he is replicated in real-time.
My interest is in finding where people consider a clone to become less property and more person. So far the majority of respondents would rather have a clone as a neighbor than see one suffer.

I left that open for consideration. People argue that it would be moral so long as the clone could not sustain on its own. Others have argued that the clone would be the scientists property to do as he wished.
You can imagine the clone coming to existence however you'd like. Some people offered the idea of growing from a test tube. Others the idea of walking into a machine and he is replicated in real-time.
My interest is in finding where people consider a clone to become less property and more person. So far the majority of respondents would rather have a clone as a neighbor than see one suffer.

Alright. Well, seeing as science has not progressed to the point of being able to grow a fetus outside a woman's body, our hypothetical scientist is going to have to find a surrogate to carry and give birth to the clone. In which case the same laws apply as if the fetus was conceived in more conventional ways. Once it is successfully implanted in a woman's uterus, she and only she can decide to terminate the pregnancy within the legal limits of each country. After the clone is born, he is granted the legal rights and protections all born human beings get and therefore the scientist has no legal right to kill this new person.

Moral reasoning was being used by the Roe v Wade panel of Justices when they looked at the provisions within the Constitution, in the Bill of Rights, which were also created from employing moral reasoning.

Morals in and of themselves are subjective. Moral reasoning is a process used to examine moral dilemmas.

If your moral stance on abortion doesn't agree with legal options, then you are not compelled by law to go against your morals to engage in a behavior that is legal.

Moral reasoning was being used by the Roe v Wade panel of Justices when they looked at the provisions within the Constitution, in the Bill of Rights, which were also created from employing moral reasoning.

Morals in and of themselves are subjective. Moral reasoning is a process used to examine moral dilemmas.

If your moral stance on abortion doesn't agree with legal options, then you are not compelled by law to go against your morals to engage in a behavior that is legal.

It was more like rationalizing. They didn't want to ban abortion, but they also didn't want the woman to have unlimited access to abortion, so they came up with this idea of viability, which acts as a middle ground between the two extremes. I really don't buy for one moment that they used morality there, sorry.

It was more like rationalizing. They didn't want to ban abortion, but they also didn't want the woman to have unlimited access to abortion, so they came up with this idea of viability, which acts as a middle ground between the two extremes. I really don't buy for one moment that they used morality there, sorry.

Your answer...No surprise. You still don't get the difference between morals and moral reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom