• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is it in our interest to stop pollution?

C.J. said:
Actually CO2 is the main engine of the greenhouse premise, but there are others (Methane, NO2, etc.). As far as pollutants go, studies have shown they actually have a cooling effect, and the premise is that they actually fight and reverse the greenhouse premise.

That is true. My point was that CO2 is not pollution, at least not in the traditional sense.

SouthernDemocrat said:
That is true. My point was that CO2 is not pollution, at least not in the traditional sense.

I understood that, and my point was that in contrast to CO2's alleged GW effects, many pollutants are alleged to cool the atmosphere. Sorry for not being more clear.

i dont think that this problem will be properly addressed untill polution has drasticly changed the earth and it becomes virtually inhabitable. who makes sacrifices when things are still being handed to them. i do think that the best way to change this is by teaching children. school prepares children basically for the business world. one class on recycling will NOT do the trick. children need to learn about things like ethics and coexistance. arent those the most important survival skills?

It's going to happen anyway. Besides, there is no possible(reasonable) way we can correct what we have done. We've become so used to it, it's now a daily part of our life and society.

it IS possible to change the way we do things now, its just that no one wants to. and if the pollution stopped the enviroment would probably absorb the damage. i dont think the damage has reached the point of no return though.

OK, it is. Think about getting 3 million + people to all conserve energy and gas expenditures and whatnot. Its a physical impossibility when you look at the big picture. [which dem. dont do very often]

i'll say it again.it is possible. its just not in the basic human interest. however many hundreds or thousands of years it takes to drain non renewable resources will be how long it takes humans to live without natural gas and oil. but you can bet your a** when its gone people will get together and figure something out. so it is possible. i honestly believe that if there were less people with your adittude, more progress would be made. if martin luther king jr. said civil rights were impossible where would we be right now. nobody cares about anything anymore. how annoying.

Why would you want to clean up pollution now
AMerica is heading for third world status
and a third world nation isnt clean its dirty
SO I say let the elite be filthy rich its more important then having clean air and water
the rivers run dirty and the land is dirty air is dirty now lets keep america dirty
america the dirty
theres a song there i think

Last edited:
Yes, you go ahead and save people against themselves? Your mission starts now, NO POSTING, YOU get out there and stop people from destroying YOUR world! IF NOT you are welcome to stay and complain about it, and DO NOTHING! THE CHOICE IS YOURS, BECAUSE I'M CAPTIN PLANET! :lol:
:lamo

PLEASE DELETE MY PREVIOUS POST? I can't believe a moderator would delete my hyperlinks, but not my post?

Back to the point, I think we should stop pollution for human health, not for some loon conspiracy theory of global warming?

I think the reasons to stop pollution are two fold:

1) Yes, global warming is a real issue and I believe it affects the warming trend in this world. It eats away at the ozone and eventually, that is going to have a major effect on the world.

2) Pollution should be stopped for the health of humans, plants, and animals. All of these organisms are exposed to pollutants in the air and suffer in different ways from these toxins. I even think about things like the Exxon spill many years ago that polluted the waters and damaged plants and animals. There are laws and regulations that can assit in lowering the amount of polution that scatters the earth. We need alternative energy souces that reduce air pollution. We need people like Senator Cantwell fighting off increased traffic of oil tankers in the Pudget Sound that could potentially increase the amount of spillage in the water way.

What are the legitimate reasons to keep polluting the earth?

ShullsM said:
I think the reasons to stop pollution are two fold:

1) Yes, global warming is a real issue and I believe it affects the warming trend in this world. It eats away at the ozone and eventually, that is going to have a major effect on the world.

2) Pollution should be stopped for the health of humans, plants, and animals. All of these organisms are exposed to pollutants in the air and suffer in different ways from these toxins. I even think about things like the Exxon spill many years ago that polluted the waters and damaged plants and animals. There are laws and regulations that can assit in lowering the amount of polution that scatters the earth. We need alternative energy souces that reduce air pollution. We need people like Senator Cantwell fighting off increased traffic of oil tankers in the Pudget Sound that could potentially increase the amount of spillage in the water way.

What are the legitimate reasons to keep polluting the earth?
Breath in. Exhale CO2. Any questions?

Well I have nightmares about the entire land mass of the U.S. being covered in a layer of cars.

Saboteur said:
Well I have nightmares about the entire land mass of the U.S. being covered in a layer of cars.
Their is always recycling? One of the 3 R's. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?

stsburns said:
Their is always recycling? One of the 3 R's. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?

Yes recycling! Thank you, I hope that recycling grows enough to match the production of recyclable products.

I'd just like to say that the only way to have no impact on the world's environment would be for mankind to stop existing.

Anyway. Global warming is natural. Let me say that the scientific record shows that the world's climate is variable. Areas that where once deserts are now rainforests and vice versa.

The environmental fundementalists that state that some agricultural areas of the world will become desert, are correct. But the don't mention the fact that other areas that are currently too cold to grow crops, will become warm enough for agriculure if the climate warms. And in some cases other areas will get colder.

Humans have become the dominant species on the planet, because we are adaptible. So if the world's climate changes, it is not going to be the apocalypse.

If we actually aim to make combustion of carbon sourced technology more efficient, we can reduce CO2 emissions, because more energy will be released from every ton of carbon sourced energy we burn, so we use less. Also be increasing combustion efficiency, you reduce the production of actual pollutents. Such as a whole range of NOx compounds and SO2 compounds that cause air pollution (smog) and acid rain.

Back
Top Bottom