• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Is It Finally Time to Defund War?"

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Quoting:

Is It Finally Time to Defund War?

Along with the harm caused by its outsized greenhouse gas emissions and its exploitation of climate chaos as an excuse for imperialism, the Pentagon wreaks terrible damage by soaking up trillions of dollars in government funds that should have gone to meet all-too-human needs, mitigate climate change, and repair the ecological damage the Pentagon itself has caused in its wars in this century.

Months before Russia invaded Ukraine, ensuring that yet more greenhouse gases would be pumped into our atmosphere, a group of British scholars lamented the Biden administration’s enthusiasm for military funding. They wrote that, “rather than scaling back military spending to pay for urgent climate-related spending, initial budget requests for military appropriations are actually increasing even as some U.S. foreign adventures are supposedly coming to a close.” It’s pointless, they suggested, “to tinker around the edges of the U.S. war machine’s environmental impact.” The funds spent “procuring and distributing fuel across the U.S. empire could instead be spent as a peace dividend [that] includes significant technology transfer and no-strings-attached funding for adaptation and clean energy to those countries most vulnerable to climate change.”

Quoting:

Along with the harm caused by its outsized greenhouse gas emissions and its exploitation of climate chaos as an excuse for imperialism, the Pentagon wreaks terrible damage by soaking up trillions of dollars in government funds that should have gone to meet all-too-human needs, mitigate climate change, and repair the ecological damage the Pentagon itself has caused in its wars in this century.

Months before Russia invaded Ukraine, ensuring that yet more greenhouse gases would be pumped into our atmosphere, a group of British scholars lamented the Biden administration’s enthusiasm for military funding. They wrote that, “rather than scaling back military spending to pay for urgent climate-related spending, initial budget requests for military appropriations are actually increasing even as some U.S. foreign adventures are supposedly coming to a close.” It’s pointless, they suggested, “to tinker around the edges of the U.S. war machine’s environmental impact.” The funds spent “procuring and distributing fuel across the U.S. empire could instead be spent as a peace dividend [that] includes significant technology transfer and no-strings-attached funding for adaptation and clean energy to those countries most vulnerable to climate change.”

Putin invades a sovereign nation, and the bad guys are...the American military industrial complex? :unsure:

Quoting:

Not unless you are prepared for the costs of defeat and slavery...

Greenhouse gas is the least of our worries, which we don't have to worry about as long as we have a strong military and the willingness to use it, which Ol' Slo Joe doesn't seem to grasp.

Putin invades a sovereign nation, and the bad guys are...the American military industrial complex? :unsure:

I think I've seen @mrjurrs post some decent commentary, yet he 'liked' that post. What's up with that, @mrjurrs? One cannot be an environmentalist, a progressive, and a militarist.

I think I've seen @mrjurrs post some decent commentary, yet he 'liked' that post. What's up with that, @mrjurrs? One cannot be an environmentalist, a progressive, and a militarist.
I'm guessing he liked it because it pointed out a fundamental disconnect in your OP. You use Putin's invasion of Ukraine as an example of a greenhouse-releasing war, and then steer the blame toward...the Biden administration. How you get from one to the other is...confusing.

Reminds me of the old hippie saying - suppose they gave a war and nobody came.

Idiotic then, even stupider now.

I'm guessing he liked it because it pointed out a fundamental disconnect in your OP. You use Putin's invasion of Ukraine as an example of a greenhouse-releasing war, and then steer the blame toward...the Biden administration. How you get from one to the other is...confusing.

The short quote I posted in #1 obviously doesn't say anything close to what you said.

One cannot be an environmentalist, a progressive, and a militarist.
What's a 'militant', exactly?

I'm all three of those things, I think, plus a conservative, a peacenik, an industrialist and so much more.

It's important not to be confused about labels, I think.

What's a 'militant', exactly?

I'm all three of those things, I think, plus a conservative, a peacenik, an industrialist and so much more.

It's important not to be confused about labels, I think.

You picked an appropriate screen name.

In another thread he is blaming Biden for Russia threatening to use nukes.

It’s clear what this poster really is.

In another thread he is blaming Biden for Russia threatening to use nukes.

It’s clear what this poster really is.

Do quote and do tell.

You picked an appropriate screen name.
So no answer? You can't tell me what a 'militant' is?

I think that if we use words, we should be able to define them... at least roughly.

So no answer? You can't tell me what a 'militant' is?

I think that if we use words, we should be able to define them... at least roughly.

I didn't even use that word.

Quoting:

The obvious answer is that nothing proposed of this nature can be done unilaterally. These ideas can only be advanced with enormous multilateral consensus and cooperation. Get the top 50 military powers on the planet to draw down their armies, and slowly demilitarize, and things can begin to move in that direction.

Personally, I look forward to it, but I have no expectation of seeing it in my lifetime.

I didn't even use that word.
OK, you used the word "militarist".

Can you define that word for me, as you're using it?

The obvious answer is that nothing proposed of this nature can be done unilaterally. These ideas can only be advanced with enormous multilateral consensus and cooperation. Get the top 50 military powers on the planet to draw down their armies, and slowly demilitarize, and things can begin to move in that direction.

Personally, I look forward to it, but I have no expectation of seeing it in my lifetime.

Of course not, because you're an American and you know that the US is the "mightiest" military on Earth, has militarized Earth, and won't be stopped even by the very real threat of "mutually assured destruction."

I don't think it can ever happen. What do we do when the Martians attack?

Of course not, because you're an American and you know that the US is the "mightiest" military on Earth, has militarized Earth, and won't be stopped even by the very real threat of "mutually assured destruction."
I think you should let others tell you what they think... rather than telling them what that think.

Doesn't that seem a reasonable approach to discussion and debate?

OK, you used the word "militarist".

Can you define that word for me, as you're using it?

A militarist is a person in favor of militarism, and one definition of militarism is:

Quote: the opinions or actions of people who believe that a country should use military methods, forces, etc., to gain power and to achieve its goals.

I think you should let others tell you what they think... rather than telling them what that think.

Doesn't that seem a reasonable approach to discussion and debate?

Any reasonable person does know, even if they don't acknowledge, what I said.

You should already know that it's a waste of time trying to put words in my mouth, and even sillier to assume you know my sentiments on this, or any other subject. Why do you bother?

If you have a point you wish to defend, then explain what you really think is faulty in my comment, or propose something else.

Quoting:

Not while Ukraine struggled to survive.

The short quote I posted in #1 obviously doesn't say anything close to what you said.
"Months before Russia invaded Ukraine, ensuring that yet more greenhouse gases would be pumped into our atmosphere, a group of British scholars lamented the Biden administration’s enthusiasm for military funding."

:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom