• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it ethical to help criminals commit crimes?

Is helping the outlaws ethical under any scenario described?

• It is ethical in Scenarios A and B

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • It is ethical in Scenario A only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is ethical in Scenario B only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is unethical in either scenario

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
But imagine giving a voice to hard-core Stalinists from a Nazi-occupied France, for example.

Stalin's victims -- those executed and those who died in Gulag number 2.1 million -- at least 10 times less then Hitler's victims.

The two important ones are that we are in a cold war with one of the countries and consider it close to being a rogue state.

To consider UK a rouge state would be Reverse Colonialism.

From a legal perspective, the American company abides by American law in both instances; so yes, legally speaking, it's legal to help others commit crimes.

That is one of the paradoxes of Internet Age.

Many Liberals and Progressives consider freedom from offensive speech to be a basic human right.

That is because they don't believe in free speech. Sure if they want to burn a flag, call Christianity a bunch of fairy tales and compare it to a harry potter novel, call a jar full of urine with a crucifix in it a piece of art work,make a play that makes fun of Mormons and other **** that conservatives find offensive then those liberals and progressives would be screaming bloody murder that they have a right to free speech.

Stalin's victims -- those executed and those who died in Gulag number 2.1 million -- at least 10 times less then Hitler's victims.

Don't be ridiculous: even Gorbachev accepted 40M. Usual approximation is 60M.

Many Liberals and Progressives consider freedom from offensive speech to be a basic human right.

That's because they're panty-waisted little bitches that don't understand how human rights work. These are the same scum that don't believe the right to self defense is a human right.

I thought this thread was going to be about something completely different, like aiding and abetting. Since it's about free speech, it's kind of a non-issue. I support measures to circumvent oppressive governments.

Also, technically, people aren't "criminals" until courts convict them. Until then you're supposed to be a "suspect".

It might be better to ask, "Is it ethical to help people doing illegal things?"

Both are ethical. There is no crime committed because the hosting is done outside of the country where it is illegal, in a country where it is legal. There is nothing unethical,about leaving a given country where something is illegal, to do it in another country where it is legal.
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate, but this is a real example...

Would this apply also to American citizens who travel to Thailand so they can employ child prostitutes?

It is illegal here, legal there, yet many have been arrested when they get back for doing so.

Last edited:

Would this apply also to American citizens who travel to Thailand so they can employ child prostitutes?

It is illegal here, legal there, yet many have been arrested when they get back for doing so.

First I need to make clear the simply because I believe a thing to be ethical I don't necessarily hold it to be moral. Now I know some view them as one and the same, but I do not. I don't believe that anyone should be arrested and/or prosecuted by one country for actions in another country. The only possible exceptions would be espionage like situations, or maybe actions by one citizen against another of the same country. While I don't agree that sex with children is a moral thing, if it is legal to do,in that country, then it is ethical by that countries standards. I do feel that the law that allows the US to arrest its citizens for acts that are not espionage or spying in nature (a crime against the US directly) conducted in another country is wrong and should not be allowed.

It's not legal there. It's subject to the death penalty.

Just for the record, I'd like to state that child prostitution is absolutely illegal in Thailand, and the law will **** you up if you're caught. That doesn't mean it isn't rampant, but if this somehow changes the ethics of the situation, you should use accurate information.

I absolutely do not see how whether or not something is legal affects whether or not it is moral or ethical. Free speech is a human right despite what any authoritarian government thinks about it, and child sexual abuse is wrong everywhere on Earth. The law is just the opinion of men with guns, and more often than not, it was not written to benefit you.

First I need to make clear the simply because I believe a thing to be ethical I don't necessarily hold it to be moral. Now I know some view them as one and the same, but I do not. I don't believe that anyone should be arrested and/or prosecuted by one country for actions in another country. The only possible exceptions would be espionage like situations, or maybe actions by one citizen against another of the same country. While I don't agree that sex with children is a moral thing, if it is legal to do,in that country, then it is ethical by that countries standards. I do feel that the law that allows the US to arrest its citizens for acts that are not espionage or spying in nature (a crime against the US directly) conducted in another country is wrong and should not be allowed.
Good explanation.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I completely agree with you. As thoroughly repugnant as child prostitution is, it's not illegal in some countries, and like you I believe that you obey the laws of the country you are in, and our government should respect that. Things like espionage being an exception, presuming you are doing it against the US, but only because you are doing it against the US specifically. If you were an American citizen in Russia spying for China, as an example, then no.

Like I said, I know it is not a popular opinion, but I believe it is ethically consistent. Ethical consistency is not always comfortable, but it is important.

As far as ethics and morals being or not being the same thing, I go back and forth on that. I can't decide. Sometimes I see them as the same thing, sometimes I can see distinctions.

Just for the record, I'd like to state that child prostitution is absolutely illegal in Thailand, and the law will **** you up if you're caught. That doesn't mean it isn't rampant, but if this somehow changes the ethics of the situation, you should use accurate information.

I absolutely do not see how whether or not something is legal affects whether or not it is moral or ethical. Free speech is a human right despite what any authoritarian government thinks about it, and child sexual abuse is wrong everywhere on Earth. The law is just the opinion of men with guns, and more often than not, it was not written to benefit you.
Duly noted. If it is illegal, albeit rampant, still the laws of the country you are in should dictate. One should not be prosecuted for something they did not do in (or against) their own country.

As far as ethics and morals being or not being the same thing, I go back and forth on that. I can't decide. Sometimes I see them as the same thing, sometimes I can see distinctions.

Morals and ethics often do run hand in hand. Think of them as similar in relationship as civil marriage and religious/social marriage. Or romantic love and sexual attraction. You will find the two together in probably most situations, but it doesn't mean that they are dependent upon one another. So a given situation could be ethical and immoral, or it could be moral, yet unethical. But often they will be either moral and ethical or immoral and unethical.

>> To consider UK a rouge state would be Reverse Colonialism.

That is a nice turn to the argument. ;)

For better or for worse, USA is becoming the center of Anglosphere. Hollywood and US Social Media have ever increasing influence on UK.

I need to know if these people are Hillary supporters or Trump supporters before I can determine if it's right or wrong.

:lamo...........................:lamo

Back
Top Bottom