• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is it Ethical for Obama to Campaign during Official Business?

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
For example, his latest comments about Trump were made at a press event during the Singapore executive's visit, at the White House. Obama was acting in his official capacity as President. Couldn't he just say 'no comment' and reserve his opinion for campaign events or interviews?

Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Lee of Singapore in Joint Press Conference

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...-and-prime-minister-lee-singapore-joint-press

I don’t doubt that they were outraged about some of the statements that Mr. Trump and his supporters made about the Khan family. But there has to come a point at which you say somebody who makes those kinds of statements doesn’t have the judgment, the temperament, the understanding to occupy the most powerful position in the world.

And democrats in congress rountinely criticize Trump on the floor.
May 24, 2016
114th Congress, 2nd Session
Issue: Vol. 162, No. 82 — Daily Edition

(Mr. POLIS asked and was given permission to address the House for 1
minute and to revise and extend his remarks.)
Mr. POLIS. Mr. Speaker, I am here to talk about the failed business
record of likely Republican nominee Donald Trump. His own failed
company, Trump Mortgage, actually pushed homeowners into subprime
mortgages. Donald Trump not only lost money himself and his company
went out of business, but millions of hardworking Americans also lost
their homes during the housing crisis.

Is this ethical or professional? Congress at least has an ethics committee. Shouldnt abusing their position be prohibited?

How many sitting Presidents have made some contribution to the candidate of their party running to replace him?

I don't know. It isn't like he punches a clock. He is always on the job, regardless of what he is doing. I have less issue with a President answering a question like that at a press conference than I do when Presidents fly around and go to events for the sole purpose of campaigning for themselves and others. I feel like there has to be better use for their time. But simply answering a question? No. I don't mind that.

I don't know. It isn't like he punches a clock. He is always on the job, regardless of what he is doing. I have less issue with a President answering a question like that at a press conference than I do when Presidents fly around and go to events for the sole purpose of campaigning for themselves and others. I feel like there has to be better use for their time. But simply answering a question? No. I don't mind that.

What if you made such comments during your job. Say your holding a corporate event and giving a speech, and you launch into a political attack? Would that be professional?

What if you made such comments during your job. Say your holding a corporate event and giving a speech, and you launch into a political attack? Would that be professional?

If my job is being a politician then commenting on politicians is appropriate.

If I am the CEO of Coca Cola then commenting on the faults of Pepsi is appropriate.

Now, the President shouldn't use his bully pulpit to badmouth Pepsi and it would be ill-advised for the CEO of Coca-Cola to attack a political candidate at a stock holder's meeting.

If my job is being a politician then commenting on politicians is appropriate.

If I am the CEO of Coca Cola then commenting on the faults of Pepsi is appropriate.

Now, the President shouldn't use his bully pulpit to badmouth Pepsi and it would be ill-advised for the CEO of Coca-Cola to attack a political candidate at a stock holder's meeting.

But thats not your or his job. His job is to be executive for the USA. And this was an official event. Would it be right for the national soda pop association, of which Pepsi and Coke are members, to bash Pepsi? Thats a better analogy. This is the President making personal comments about a citizen, during his official duties unrelated to the election.

At one time a President would have been above this.
Things have changed and will continue to do so.

How many sitting Presidents have made some contribution to the candidate of their party running to replace him?
Contributing is one thing, going on a five minute tirade against the opposition candidate is another.

At one time a President would have been above this.
Things have changed and will continue to do so.
Care to point to that time period?

I don't mind a President speaking his mind about a candidate, but when he does all costs associated with the activity he is engaged in should then come out of his own pocket.

The taxpayers should not be required to foot the bill for a President's campaigning efforts.

Care to point to that time period?

Care to point out when another President actually was in a foreign Country let alone ours, saying the opposition candidate was unfit?

Care to point out when another President actually was in a foreign Country let alone ours, saying the opposition candidate was unfit?

:lamo See, now you are just getting more and more specific. So I will ask again, during what time period in our countries history was a President "above" campaigning during official executive business?

:lamo See, now you are just getting more and more specific. So I will ask again, during what time period in our countries history was a President "above" campaigning during official executive business?
You have yet to provide any examples showing that to be wrong.

You have yet to provide any examples showing that to be wrong.

Showing what to be wrong? You also never answered the question. I guess I'll ask again, "during what time period in our countries history was a President "above" campaigning during official executive business?" You made the statement that at one time Presidents were above this... So when was it?

Showing what to be wrong? You also never answered the question. I guess I'll ask again, "during what time period in our countries history was a President "above" campaigning during official executive business?" You made the statement that at one time Presidents were above this... So when was it?

Apparently you are not paying attention.

What was stated was the following.
"At one time a President would have been above this."

"This" is the part of the sentence that address what was being spoken about.
"This", in this case was as stated, our "President actually was in a foreign Country let alone ours, saying the opposition candidate was unfit".

Now because of the way that is presented the onus is on you to show it is not true, not on me to show it is true as I can not prove a negative in this case.

As pointed out the "this" that was commented on was specified and it is not as you wish to spin it as being just campaigning. It was actual denigration and calling the opposition candidate unfit in an overseas press conference.

So do you have any examples to show what I said was wrong?

Apparently you are not paying attention.

What was stated was the following.

"At one time a President would have been above this."

"This" is the part of the sentence that address what was being spoken about.
"This" in this case was as stated, our "President actually was in a foreign Country let alone ours, saying the opposition candidate was unfit".

Now because of the way that is presented the onus is on you to show it is not true, not on me to show it is true as I can not prove a negative in this case.

As pointed out the "this" that was commented on was specified and it is not as you wish to spin it as being just campaigning. It was actual denigration and calling the opposition candidate unfit in an overseas press conference.

So do you have any examples to show what I said was wrong?

See the issue at hand is that Obama was "campaigning" (AKA answering a reporters question) during executive office business. The issue is not what was exactly said but that he was "campaigning". You stated that at one point Presidents were above this. I simply asked what time period that was. You then added on more preconditions such as Obama saying the words "Trump is unfit" only after I asked what time period was Presidents "above" this.... So again, Ill simply ask, "during what time period in our countries history was a President "above" campaigning during official executive business?"

See the issue at hand is that Obama was "campaigning" (AKA answering a reporters question) during executive office business. The issue is not what was exactly said but that he was "campaigning".
No.
As pointed out, that is not simply what he was doing.
There is a difference between stumping for your party's candidate and that of denigrating and calling the opposition candidate unfit in a public forum.

You stated that at one point Presidents were above this. I simply asked what time period that was. You then added on more preconditions such as Obama saying the words "Trump is unfit" only after I asked what time period was Presidents "above" this.... So again, Ill simply ask, "during what time period in our countries history was a President "above" campaigning during official executive business?"
You can keep asking all you want, it will get you nowhere.
This was in reference to what I said, not to what you think it meant.
Now if you can show my statement to be wrong (which I am pretty sure you can not do), I will gladly admit it was, if not push on.

No. He was nopt simply campaigning.
There is a difference between stumping for your parties candidate and that of denigrating and calling the opposition candidate unfit in a public forum.
He's not campaigning? What was he doing then? He wasnt advocating for or against one candidate running for office? So you would say the OP is wrong when he said Obama was campaigning?

Now if you can show my statement to be wrong (which I am pretty sure you can not do), I will gladly admit it was, if not push on.

You cant answer a simple question about a statement you made? You cant defend your statements?

No.
There is a difference between stumping for your party's candidate and that of denigrating and calling the opposition candidate unfit in a public forum.

And Im not even talking about just this one instance. There is a pattern of elected reps using their office to influence elections. I dont think that is right.

He's not campaigning? What was he doing then? He wasnt advocating for or against one candidate running for office? So you would say the OP is wrong when he said Obama was campaigning?
Still not paying attention I see. Figures.

As pointed out, that is not [highlight]simply[/highlight] what he was doing.

You cant answer a simple question about a statement you made? You cant defend your statements?
iLOL

You can't flip this. If you think what I said was wrong, provide the information or push on.

Still not paying attention I see. Figures.

As pointed out, that is not [highlight]simply[/highlight] what he was doing.
Except it is. Saying the words "Donald Trump is unfit for office" is campaigning. Its advocating against a candidate, AKA campaigning.

iLOL

You can't flip this. If you think what I said was wrong, provide the information or push on.

Provide the information? What information? I simply asked what time period was a president above this?

Except it is. Saying the words "Donald Trump is unfit for office" is campaigning. Its advocating against a candidate, AKA campaigning.

Provide the information? What information? I simply asked what time period was a president above this?
No it really isn't.
If it was you could provided examples from previous presidents (In office) in public saying the opposition candidate was unfit.
Still waiting for you to provide such information.

Like I said, if you can show my comment to be wrong I will gladly admit that it was. If you are not, push on, as these circles you are going in are quite boring.

No you won't. :lamo
I didn't stutter.
As I said if he "can show my comment to be wrong I will gladly admit that it was".

You are again engaged in baiting. Do I need to report you or are you going to stop with the juvenile nonsense?

Of course he can. Nothing new here. If it takes him off our country's problems and let's him do what he does best fine. The less he touches the better off we all are. Speaking of touching, Michelle has gone underground so he ain't getting any from her!

The more he is out there the more America is reminded of his hopeless version of change, and what a dumb ass Hillary is.

Back
Top Bottom