• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is it Ethical for Obama to Campaign during Official Business?

No it really isn't.
Then what is it?

If it was you could provided examples from previous presidents (In office) in public saying the opposition candidate was unfit.
Still waiting for you to provide such information.
:lamo You were the one that said at one point in time Presidents were above this and then you couldnt even point to the time period when Presidents were above this.....

Like I said, if you can show my comment to be wrong I will gladly admit that it was. If you are not, push on, as these circles you are going in are quite boring.
:lamo Proving a negative?

For example, his latest comments about Trump were made at a press event during the Singapore executive's visit, at the White House. Obama was acting in his official capacity as President. Couldn't he just say 'no comment' and reserve his opinion for campaign events or interviews?

And democrats in congress rountinely criticize Trump on the floor.

Is this ethical or professional? Congress at least has an ethics committee. Shouldnt abusing their position be prohibited?
And my guess is that you do not realize or acknowledge that Repubs do exactly the same things. Hypocrisy at it's best.

If my job is being a politician then commenting on politicians is appropriate.

If I am the CEO of Coca Cola then commenting on the faults of Pepsi is appropriate.

Now, the President shouldn't use his bully pulpit to badmouth Pepsi and it would be ill-advised for the CEO of Coca-Cola to attack a political candidate at a stock holder's meeting.

The President's job is not being a politician. His job is running the country for all its citizens.

I vote no. Nor do I think loaning a candidate the use of the Presidential pulpit or AF 1 appropriate.

On the contrary, the CEO of Coca Cola is a private citizen. The matter of what is appropriate in a stockholders meeting is between the CEO and the stockholders.

I'd simply make two comments:

1. The man is a politician so speaking on and/or about politics is natural. The nature of President Obama's comments are slightly more questionable, but one could argue that President Obama is uniquely qualified to speak about being unfit for office, seeking the job with little or no experience.

2. Your country elected the man to two terms and he's still a young man, in his 50's, so get used to it. He will be the next Jimmy Carter - a failed President with an opinion on every subject and a critique of those who followed him into office. I can't think of a single subject where President Obama hasn't ventured his "expert" advice, so I don't see him stopping once he leaves office. Get ready for the better part of 40 more years, if not more, of Obama seldom being quiet. One could pray he'd take a lesson from his predecessor, but I highly doubt it.

:lamo You were the one that said at one point in time Presidents were above this and then you couldnt even point to the time period when Presidents were above this..
And again. You have to show that is an untrue statement.
So far you have failed.

And again. You have to show that is an untrue statement.
So far you have failed.

"Untrue"? Im simply asking for you to PROOVE your statement. You are diverting by attempting to make someone prove a negative. But again you failed to answer yet another question so I'll ask again. If this is not campaigning then what is it?

For example, his latest comments about Trump were made at a press event during the Singapore executive's visit, at the White House. Obama was acting in his official capacity as President. Couldn't he just say 'no comment' and reserve his opinion for campaign events or interviews?

Is this ethical or professional? Congress at least has an ethics committee. Shouldnt abusing their position be prohibited?

It would be unethical for the sitting president to not rebuke someone who is so unqualified and ill-tempered who is running for president.

I'd simply make two comments:

1. The man is a politician so speaking on and/or about politics is natural. The nature of President Obama's comments are slightly more questionable, but one could argue that President Obama is uniquely qualified to speak about being unfit for office, seeking the job with little or no experience.

2. Your country elected the man to two terms and he's still a young man, in his 50's, so get used to it. He will be the next Jimmy Carter - a failed President with an opinion on every subject and a critique of those who followed him into office. I can't think of a single subject where President Obama hasn't ventured his "expert" advice, so I don't see him stopping once he leaves office. Get ready for the better part of 40 more years, if not more, of Obama seldom being quiet. One could pray he'd take a lesson from his predecessor, but I highly doubt it.

You missed the point, I dont have a problem with him offering his opinion, unless its in his official capacity. Would you be ok with your prime minister criticizing Tim Horton during a state visit from the President of Zimbabwe?

You missed the point, I dont have a problem with him offering his opinion, unless its in his official capacity. Would you be ok with your prime minister criticizing Tim Horton during a state visit from the President of Zimbabwe?

I know my Prime Minister is an utter imbecile, but even he knows Tim Horton's dead, and has been for decades. Besides, my Prime Minister would be too busy posing for selfies and primping for the media to waste such a good photo opportunity on actually speaking. And it would be the height of irony for my Prime Minister to opine on anyone else being unfit for the office they aspire to attain.

I know my Prime Minister is an utter imbecile, but even he knows Tim Horton's dead, and has been for decades. Besides, my Prime Minister would be too busy posing for selfies and primping for the media to waste such a good photo opportunity on actually speaking. And it would be the height of irony for my Prime Minister to opine on anyone else being unfit for the office they aspire to attain.

Bryan Adams then :lol:

Presidents can endorse or campaign for whoever they want...including themselves if they run for a second term. But most modern presidents over the last hundred years haven't for various reasons...but not because it wasn't ethical or against the rules.

President Obama Campaigning For Clinton Is Historic. It Hasn't Happened in 100 Years : NPR

May 24, 2016
114th Congress, 2nd Session
Issue: Vol. 162, No. 82 — Daily Edition

(Mr. POLIS asked and was given permission to address the House for 1
minute and to revise and extend his remarks
.)
Mr. POLIS. Mr. Speaker, I am here to talk about the failed business
record of likely Republican nominee Donald Trump. His own failed
company, Trump Mortgage, actually pushed homeowners into subprime
mortgages. Donald Trump not only lost money himself and his company
went out of business, but millions of hardworking Americans also lost
their homes during the housing crisis.

Congressmen can say anything they want during "one minute speech time....

VI. One-minute Speeches

Presidents can endorse or campaign for whoever they want...including themselves if they run for a second term. But most modern presidents over the last hundred years haven't for various reasons...but not because it wasn't ethical or against the rules.

President Obama Campaigning For Clinton Is Historic. It Hasn't Happened in 100 Years : NPR

Congressmen can say anything they want during "one minute speech time....

VI. One-minute Speeches

I asked if it was ethical to do it during official business. they are using a privileged position.

To me the word "Ethical" simply means it is legal but somebody objects to what was said or done. Pretty much a meaningless word in the real world as it is not defined or measureable.
I can't imagine that answering a reporters question being "unethical" unless you want to use the same criteria about the repeated misleading and outright false statements by Donald Trump being "unethical".

What would the Trump supporters be screaming about now IF President Obama refused to respond to a reporters question at a new conference? If the President said, "It is my policy is to not answer questions that are not related to the subject of this new conference. We can only imagine. " Biased against the conservative media", "Conspiracy", "Non Transparency", "Evasive", and whatever.

The President is obligated to answer questions from the media. Yes, the President can talk sideways and just appear to be answering the question while not saying anything but it is still an answer. A non answer-answer was not the case here. Anything BUT sideways.

To me the word "Ethical" simply means it is legal but somebody objects to what was said or done. Pretty much a meaningless word in the real world as it is not defined or measureable.
I can't imagine that answering a reporters question being "unethical" unless you want to use the same criteria about the repeated misleading and outright false statements by Donald Trump being "unethical".

What would the Trump supporters be screaming about now IF President Obama refused to respond to a reporters question at a new conference? If the President said, "It is my policy is to not answer questions that are not related to the subject of this new conference. We can only imagine. " Biased against the conservative media", "Conspiracy", "Non Transparency", "Evasive", and whatever.

The President is obligated to answer questions from the media. Yes, the President can talk sideways and just appear to be answering the question while not saying anything but it is still an answer. A non answer-answer was not the case here. Anything BUT sideways.

Well the good news is he moderated his tone at the next event. When asked the same questions he basically said, asked and answered. Vote your conscious.

"Untrue"? Im simply asking for you to PROOVE your statement. You are diverting by attempting to make someone prove a negative. But again you failed to answer yet another question so I'll ask again. If this is not campaigning then what is it?
You clearly are not paying attention.
As already pointed out, it is upon you to show it is not true. Not on me to "proove"[SUP][sic][/SUP] it to you.

There is nothing I could provided to show it is true, you are the one who has to show it isn't if you are going to dispute it. Which also has already been explained to you.

So again.

If it was you could provided examples from previous presidents (In office) in public saying the opposition candidate was unfit.
Still waiting for you to provide such information.

Like I said, if you can show my comment to be wrong I will gladly admit that it was. If you are not, push on, as these circles you are going in are quite boring.

Your continued attempt at deflection by changing the goal posts is also nonsensical as it was already addressed and brought back to the core of the dispute.
Again.

As pointed out, that is not simply what he was doing.
There is a difference between stumping for your party's candidate and that of denigrating and calling the opposition candidate unfit in a public forum.

So stop the deflection.

You are going to have to show that a sitting President did the same thing in public to refute what I previously said or to even show it is campaigning.
Thus far you have failed, and I suspect you will continue to do so.

Back
Top Bottom