• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#299]Is Israel dying as the middle East's only liberal democracy?

Not sure Palestinians being brutally removed form their land and cast as second class citizens will find much solace in this.
I guess the short (and brutal) answer to your heart-felt comment is something like:

1. The Israelis want a country for Jewish people.

2. They now have a tiny slice of land called "Israel."

3. The Palestinians should leave and settle in the West Bank and Gaza.

a. The United States should help give super generous payments to those Palestinians who sell their land and leave.

4. Many Americans claim (at least in public) that they feel a multicultural nation is highly desirable.

5. Israelis do not beat around the bush: Most of them prefer to live in a homogeneous society (as most Japanese apparently do).

Happy New Year to you & yours!

At the risk of nit picking, the Israel is not a "liberal democracy" but rather parliamentary republic that is arguably dominated by conservative nationalism. While they may lean far more to western governmental ideologies than the nations that surround them, at the end of the day all you have is a nation dominated by one religious ideology surrounded by nations that are all splinters of different religious ideology.

The point of all that is Netanyahu, and likeminded supporters, have the full intention of continuing their ambitions for land control and settlement.

What is happening in Israel is not all that far removed from what happens here when the political pendulum swings back and forth between a handful of ideologies in a manner where an extreme can capitalize on the disfunction for whatever reasons.

But at the end of the day the issue for Israel is the same. They are surrounded by their enemies and have few friends on the international stage.

What other infamous government claimed it had enemies on all sides and sought to expand its borders and create race laws?

This is the definition of liberal democracy I am using:

"Liberal democracy emphasizes the separation of powers, an independent judiciary and a system of checks and balances between branches of government. Multi-party systems with at least two persistent, viable political parties are characteristic of liberal democracies."

Link

I guess the short (and brutal) answer to your heart-felt comment is something like:

1. The Israelis want a country for Jewish people.

2. They now have a tiny slice of land called "Israel."

3. The Palestinians should leave and settle in the West Bank and Gaza.

a. The United States should help give super generous payments to those Palestinians who sell their land and leave.

4. Many Americans claim (at least in public) that they feel a multicultural nation is highly desirable.

5. Israelis do not beat around the bush: Most of them prefer to live in a homogeneous society (as most Japanese apparently do).

Happy New Year to you & yours!

Our Native American policy appealed to Hitler, why not to Isreal?

It wouldn't at all be because it was founded by actual ****ing Nazis and still takes a xenophobic, socially conservative list of positions?
SD has changed beyond recognition since it was founded. The second part of your sentence is simply a lie, deliberate or not. "Socially conservative"? Sverige Demokraterna are strongly pro-choice and for gay marriage for example. We are also for state funded health care and a reasonably generous welfare system. And campaigned hard for increased state pension.

The Nazi slur always amuses me. I'm the only person on DP, as far as I know, who was a refugee from real, actual German Nazis and who was later bombed and rocketed by them.

Israel should never have been Irgun'd into existence. More prominent Jews than I - Einstein, Arendt - will ever be could see that.
There was nothing wrong with creating Israel.

There was nothing wrong with creating Israel.
Agreed!

The creation of Israel was a moral imperative.

As I understand it, both the Jewish people and the Arab people have historical roots in that area.

The British really did not know how to satisfy both sides.

Sadly, violence settled the matter.

The Arab people should all recognize Israel, and then Israel would be delighted to help them with economic development, which is the biggest need of the Arab states.

but democracy remains as long as they keep changing in accordance with the people's will.

Like "the peoples will" set Crooked donnietrump to squatting in the Peoples White House in 2017 you mean?
Yeahhhhh. I dunno. Seems....legit? Not.

They are friends with the biggest dog on the block

That's all they need

They've dug into the US Taxpayer teet deeper than a tick on a hound, and constantly trying to get more.
Not "friends"....merely dependents. I have absolutely no idea why......oh wait yes I do. Religious mythology is why.

You might ask yourself if the USA can afford the endless phony proxy "wars" in the Mid East. (Hint: NO, it cant)

They've dug into the US Taxpayer teet deeper than a tick on a hound, and constantly trying to get more.
Not "friends"....merely dependents. I have absolutely no idea why......oh wait yes I do. Religious mythology is why.

You might ask yourself if the USA can afford the endless phony proxy "wars" in the Mid East. (Hint: NO, it cant)
Sure we can

Agreed!

As I understand it, both the Jewish people and the Arab people have historical roots in that area.

The Arab people should all recognize Israel, and then Israel would be delighted to help them with economic development, which is the biggest need of the Arab states.

Isreal has an explosive race issue withing the nation itself, as they are changing the definition of what it means to be Jewish and displacing non-Jews.

It's getting ugly.

Isreal has an explosive race issue withing the nation itself, as they are changing the definition of what it means to be Jewish and displacing non-Jews.

It's getting ugly.
They have been pushed and pushed... *shrugs*

Agreed!

Everybody was fine with a Two State Solution except the Palestinians.

Interestingly... the first "terrorists" in that area were the Israelis. They attacked and bombed the British. That is when the Brits really wanted to leave.

Sure we can

Cheering for Israel today....is just as bad if not worse than cheering for asswipe trump. Same crookedness, same fascism, same racism.

Way to GO vg....LOL! You're really firing on all cylinders now! I can only assume you have some motivation for doing that. Heh heh. ;)

Everybody was fine with a Two State Solution except the Palestinians

"Two state solution" is a complete ****ing joke.
Literally nobody on earth believes that except for the duped morons in the USA that believe it.

It was perfectly fine where it ended up.

Daily realities would seem to be at odds with your (rather ignorant imo) opinion, but whatev.

"Two state solution" is a complete ****ing joke.
Literally nobody on earth believes that except for the duped morons in the USA that believe it.
Wonderful insight.

Cheering for Israel today....is just as bad if not worse than cheering for asswipe trump. Same crookedness, same fascism, same racism.

Way to GO vg....LOL! You're really firing on all cylinders now! I can only assume you have some motivation for doing that. Heh heh. ;)
You are really good at debating... just... wow.

You are really good at debating... just... wow.

There is no "debate" imo.
If you support a shiddy little sandy pseudo-"democracy" in the Mid East...you should head on over in my opinion. Your leader Bibi has called you home. Heed the call. (y)

I cheer LOUDLY for Israel

Back
Top Bottom