• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Israel Destroying Itself With Its Settlement Policy

oneworld2

Handsome Pitbull
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

The above is debate as to whether the Israeli settlement building policy in the Occupied Palestinian Territories is destroying the state of Israel itself. There are two speakers making the debate , two for the notion and two against ( sadly no Palestinian representaion but to be fair this is acknowledged ). At the end of the discussion the audience was asked to vote on whether or not the settlements actually have a hugely negative impact on Israel itself. For people who have no intention of watching the video or commenting on the points it raises the voting was a pretty clear " yes" it is destroying Israel

One of the panel in particular , Caroline Glick, comes across as pretty unstable imo. She is highly critical of a member of the audience for claiming that some of the actions being carried out in the OPTs are similar to the worst discriminations and actions against Jews in 1930'-40's Germany but seems to be self unaware of her own inferences about some on the Palestinian side of which she does the exact same. She is also the master at propagandistic diatribes that any with some knowledge will readily see through.

So, is Israel destroying itself with the settlement policy in the Occupied Palestinian Territories ?

When someone's rage and hatred is pegging the meter at 10, you can't make them any madder. It doesn't matter what you do.

When someone's rage and hatred is pegging the meter at 10, you can't make them any madder. It doesn't matter what you do.

Not sure that's such a good argument. The aim should be to get the rage meter reading down and not worrying about it not being able to go higher. The settlements have doubled since Oslo and , imo , present a huge obstacle to the resolution of the conflict on two state lines. That has made people even more enraged and that. along with other reasons, is why I too support the idea that the settlements are actually detrimental to Israels future

When two nations want the same land and are willing to fight for it, there is no point in negotiating the outcome. It will be settled by force of arms.

The Bible and the Koran give the land of Israel to the Children of Israel.

The following passages come from a translation of the Koran made by Marmaduke Pickthall, an English convert to Islam.

Surah V:20 And (remember) when Moses said unto his people: O my people! Remember Allah’s favoour unto you, how he placed among you Prophets, and He made you kings, and gave you that (which) He gave not to any (other) creatures. O my people! Go into the holy land which Allah hath ordained for you. Turn not in flight, for surely ye turn back as losers.

Surah XVII:104 And we said unto the Children of Israel after him: Dwell in the land, but when the promise of the Hereafter cometh to pass, we shall bring you as a crowd gathered out of various nations.

This is what the Bible has to say about the right of the Jews to the land of Israel:

Genesis 12:6-7 And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land.And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.

Genesis 13:14-15 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

Genesis 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

---------

All of Israel, including the legitimate spoils of the Six Day War, is less than one percent of Arab lands. Let the Jews have it, and tell the Palestinians to move elsewhere in the Arab world.

IStandWithIsrael 2.jpg

I am not Jewish, buy the way. If I was I would not praise God's Chosen People like I do. Jews are humble about their superiority. I am an Anglican. That is a traditional Episcopalian using the 1928 Book of Common Prayer.

Last edited:

The above is debate as to whether the Israeli settlement building policy in the Occupied Palestinian Territories is destroying the state of Israel itself. There are two speakers making the debate , two for the notion and two against ( sadly no Palestinian representaion but to be fair this is acknowledged ). At the end of the discussion the audience was asked to vote on whether or not the settlements actually have a hugely negative impact on Israel itself. For people who have no intention of watching the video or commenting on the points it raises the voting was a pretty clear " yes" it is destroying Israel

One of the panel in particular , Caroline Glick, comes across as pretty unstable imo. She is highly critical of a member of the audience for claiming that some of the actions being carried out in the OPTs are similar to the worst discriminations and actions against Jews in 1930'-40's Germany but seems to be self unaware of her own inferences about some on the Palestinian side of which she does the exact same. She is also the master at propagandistic diatribes that any with some knowledge will readily see through.

So, is Israel destroying itself with the settlement policy in the Occupied Palestinian Territories ?

It certainly isn't "destroying" itself. Hyperbolic nonsense.

Increasing settlements is a stupid move anyway.

When two nations want the same land and are willing to fight for it, there is no point in negotiating the outcome. It will be settled by force of arms.

The following passages come from a translation of the Koran made by Marmaduke Pickthall, an English convert to Islam.

Surah V:20 And (remember) when Moses said unto his people: O my people! Remember Allah’s favoour unto you, how he placed among you Prophets, and He made you kings, and gave you that (which) He gave not to any (other) creatures. O my people! Go into the holy land which Allah hath ordained for you. Turn not in flight, for surely ye turn back as losers.

Surah XVII:104 And we said unto the Children of Israel after him: Dwell in the land, but when the promise of the Hereafter cometh to pass, we shall bring you as a crowd gathered out of various nations.

This is what the Bible has to say about the right of the Jews to the land of Israel:

Genesis 12:6-7 And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land.And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.

Genesis 13:14-15 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

Genesis 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

---------

All of Israel, including the legitimate spoils of the Six Day War, is less than one percent of Arab lands. Let the Jews have it, and tell the Palestinians to move elsewhere in the Arab world.

View attachment 67303210

I am not Jewish, buy the way. If I was I would not praise God's Chosen People like I do. Jews are humble about their superiority. I am an Anglican. That is a traditional Episcopalian using the 1928 Book of Common Prayer.

I tend to believe that in 2020 we shouldn't be relying on ancient manuscripts with contradictory and unverifiable content to guide our decision making. Nor do I think that those who wish to work towards a more peaceful world should be endorsing the might confers right concept which is sure to engender/embolden others into violence and war.

The Christian religious element who support the state of Israel have traditionally supported it, not for sympathy for the Jews , their record of abuses bears testimony to that, but for the selfish wish for a second coming which, ironically according to the Christian world, sees Jews being forced to convert to Christianity or burn. If you are going to refer to these texts for justification you have to ,imo , encompass the lot and not cherry pick from them.

It is a damaging legacy of the West imo that we consider ourselves the real estate managers of the earth, deciding who should live where and who shouldn't, and that explains why so many people around the globe hold it in such contempt.

For me the best way on offer to create a just resolution of the conflict is to apply the laws governing state actions, not religious texts from the ancient world

plurium interrogationum.
These lands were never owned by any palestinian country, and Jewish presence in these territories has existed for thousands of years and was recognized as legitimate in the Mandate adopted by the League of Nations in 1922. So of course the term -"Occupied Palestinian Territories" is mistaken by it's core. These are the facts.

---------

View attachment 67303210

" "there are only two groups that are beating the drums for war in the Middle East – the Israeli defense ministry and its 'amen corner' in the United States." - Pat Buchanan

im interested where the Bible gives land to modern day zionists

of course Israel can exist, but their war mongering attitudes need to be combated

plurium interrogationum.
These lands were never owned by any palestinian country, and Jewish presence in these territories has existed for thousands of years and was recognized as legitimate in the Mandate adopted by the League of Nations in 1922. So of course the term -"Occupied Palestinian Territories" is mistaken by it's core. These are the facts.
More like the British empire just said **** the locals and went with it hence the territorial disputes.

" "there are only two groups that are beating the drums for war in the Middle East – the Israeli defense ministry and its 'amen corner' in the United States." - Pat Buchanan

im interested where the Bible gives land to modern day zionists

of course Israel can exist, but their war mongering attitudes need to be combated

There must be a Jewish land for a Jewish people.

It sounds better in German:

"Es muss ein jüdisches land für ein jüdisches Volk geben."

In Mein Kampf, Volume I, Chapter XI, "Nation and Race," Adolf Hitler wrote:

"No matter how much the soil, for instance, is able to influence the people, the result will always be always be a different one, according to the races under consideration. The scanty fertility of the living space may instigate one race towards the highest achievement, while with another race this may only become the cause for the most dire poverty and ultimate malnutrition with all its consequences. The inner disposition of the people is always decisive for the way in which outward influences work themselves out. What leads one people to starvation, trains another for hard work."

The truth of Hitler's insight can be seen when we compare what Israel is with what Palestine was before the Jews returned to their patrimony. The Jews occupied a backward, impoverished land and made the desert bloom.

There must be a Jewish land for a Jewish people.

It sounds better in German:

"Es muss ein jüdisches land für ein jüdisches Volk geben."

In Mein Kampf, Volume I, Chapter XI, "Nation and Race," Adolf Hitler wrote:

"No matter how much the soil, for instance, is able to influence the people, the result will always be always be a different one, according to the races under consideration. The scanty fertility of the living space may instigate one race towards the highest achievement, while with another race this may only become the cause for the most dire poverty and ultimate malnutrition with all its consequences. The inner disposition of the people is always decisive for the way in which outward influences work themselves out. What leads one people to starvation, trains another for hard work."

The truth of Hitler's insight can be seen when we compare what Israel is with what Palestine was before the Jews returned to their patrimony. The Jews occupied a backward, impoverished land and made the desert bloom.
again Israel has a right to exist but not a right to be a drain on nato and commit war crimes

More like the British empire just said **** the locals and went with it hence the territorial disputes.
Actually it was unanimously approved by all 51 countries of LON.
And disputed territories is a step in the right direction :).

Actually it was unanimously approved by all 51 countries of LON.
And disputed territories is a step in the right direction :).
All except the people who were there. Im sure you would be pissed if nobody consulted your country.

Which country?

IIRC they were Ottoman subjects until the became subjects of the Mandate.
Should have said the people who were there.

Back
Top Bottom