• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Islam evil/a religion of war?

Is Islam as a religion evil/a religion of war?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 75.6%

• Total voters

Sanitas

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Yesterday, Rev. Franklin Graham appeared on John King USA on CNN denouncing Islam as evil and a religion of war.

So, I want to get a feel for what people truly believe (no, "yes, because..." or "no, because..." BS). If you vote one way without any evidence, that's fine. I'm not even going to ask you to present evidence, though that would be great for this thread.

So, the question is: Is Islam as a religion evil/a religion of war?

It's difficult to give a yes or no answer to that, given that there are different sects of Islam, with different interpretations. But to answer "yes" based on the grounds that many terrorist groups are Muslim would be like saying Christianity is a religion of war because of the actions of the Catholic church, even though there are pacifists sects like the Quakers.

And I would also add that it would be very hypocritical for someone calling himself Reverend, to make such an argument.

Last edited:
It's difficult to give a yes or no answer to that, given that there are different sects of Islam, with different interpretations. But to answer "yes" based on the grounds that many terrorist groups are Muslim would be like saying Christianity is a religion of war because of the actions of the Catholic church, even though there are pacifists sects like the Quakers.

And I would also add that it would be very hypocritical for someone calling himself Reverend, to make such an argument.

I agree. It is something hard to say one way or another. I guess that's the point I'm making. If you demonize an entire population of Muslims - a total of around 1.5 billion people - then you must only see in black and white.

From Americans' eyes, were the 9/11 terrorist hijackers, Al-Qaeda, and the Taliban evil? YES, absoulutely. But you cant look at one cross-section of Islam and declare a sea of Muslims equally evil. It's unfounded. Islam is based on peace. The Qu'ran preaches equality and tolerance with Jews and Christians. Sure, there are some barbaric things in the Qu'ran, but there equally barbaric things in the Bible and the Torah. The religious text should not be taken literally.

NO
Because a known christian(Graham) says the opposite.
Jesus would turn over in his grave if he know what men have done to his movement of two millenia ago.
I only listen to those with 3 digit IQs.

I try to be tolerant open minded, but honestly, there are some days where I do believe that there is nothing redeemable about that religion. I tend to go back and forth on it though.

It's a religion, ergo it forbids men to use their brains for independent thought, ergo, it's evil. Islam was spread by the sword, and hasn't abandoned the concept of jihad, ergo, it's a religion of war.

Moderator's Warning:
Just to hopefully prevent any one from getting in trouble in this thread, remember rule 19: "18. Hate Messages
Hate messages delivered via threads, posts, signatures, or PM's are forbidden at Debate Politics. The Moderator Team defines a hate message as any willful wording intended to ridicule, debase, degrade, intimidate, or incite violence and/or prejudicial actions against a group of people based on their race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability. Determined violations of this rule will be subject to incur an immediate revocation of membership."

Just like with any religion, I believe it is wrong to use a holy book or God to justify acts of violence, hatred and evil deeds. I don't believe Islam is an evil religion, but just like Christianity and many other religions, people have used their beliefs to justify horrendous acts of violence and war. I'm glad to see most religious people have gotten past the whole "killing in the name of God"... but it appears to me that there are still many who practice Islam who are willing to kill in the name of God... and that worries me.

Yesterday, Rev. Franklin Graham appeared on John King USA on CNN denouncing Islam as evil and a religion of war.

So, I want to get a feel for what people truly believe (no, "yes, because..." or "no, because..." BS). If you vote one way without any evidence, that's fine. I'm not even going to ask you to present evidence, though that would be great for this thread.

George W. Bush is a Christian; he started a war against Iraq without provaction, so what does that say about Christians?

Islam was founded by a conqueror and was spread through war. Without question it is a religion of war and from its inception Islam has been most commonly spread through violence.

Islam was founded by a conqueror and was spread through war. Without question it is a religion of war and from its inception Islam has been most commonly spread through violence.

You could make that general comment about many religions. Christianity was spread through war - the Roman empire adopted Christianity, and it was forced upon the pagans by law. After Rome fell, and the Papacy was created, the Crusades spread Christianity at the tip of a sword. Later, the Inquisitions attempted to root out heresy while upholding piety.

Every religion is a religion of war.

You could make that general comment about many religions. Christianity was spread through war - the Roman empire adopted Christianity, and it was forced upon the pagans by law. After Rome fell, and the Papacy was created, the Crusades spread Christianity at the tip of a sword. Later, the Inquisitions attempted to root out heresy while upholding piety.

Actually no, this is something one can pretty much only say about Islam. The Roman Empire did not establish Christianity, but instead it was made the state religion after centuries of trying to suppress it. Christianity spread largely by leaders and governments adopting it. Armenia, Russia, and Ethiopia all adopted Christianity without being compelled by force. In comparison every major Muslim population save a small portion are in countries that were largely non-Muslim before a Muslim power invaded.

The Crusades started as wars of self-defense against invading Muslim armies. Assigning some heinous motive to them is just mistaken. I am not going to deny that Christian countries have been more abusive of other religions than Muslims during most of their respective histories, but the question was about whether Islam is a religion of war and I would say it is, unlike Christianity.

I say yes/yes. I'm afraid of them. I'd like to see us get away from using their oil, but we've waited too long, and done some dumb stuff that we are now paying for.

This poll fails. It implicitly argues that Islam is a monolithic entity. It's like arguing that Christianity is one monolith with one set of ideals and practices.

I don't really believe in evil, but mainstream Islam is certainly violent and oppressive. Until secular Muslims become the overwhelming majority and not just the fringe minority that will continue to be the case.

Yes and no.

Some parts of it, yes, but not all.

I would say that (obviously) those parts (depending on how you define "parts") that support/are terrorists are an "evil/a religion of war".

Other than that, I don’t really know enough to comment.

Met too plenty a Muslim to say its an evil religion. But obviously the many ignoramus members of this board have not and choose instead to believe what there far right extremist Christian skinheads have to say.
Nonetheless it has its flaw's and aspects of it ARE evil, sure. Just like Catholics, Muslims can be nut jobs if they want to, and perfectly rational and tolerant when they want too aswell.

Last edited:
Met too plenty a Muslim to say its an evil religion. But obviously the many ignoramus members of this board have not and choose instead to believe what there far right extremist Christian skinheads have to say.
Nonetheless it has its flaw's and aspects of it ARE evil, sure. Just like Catholics, Muslims can be nut jobs if they want to, and perfectly rational and tolerant when they want too aswell.

Agreed but I think you'll admit that we need more secular Muslims and less Islamists.

Agreed but I think you'll admit that we need more secular Muslims and less Islamists.

Of course. And Europe is especially in dire need of them. Hence why the following would be a good idea.

AB%20-%20EU%20-%20TR%20-%20UK.png

NO
Because a known christian(Graham) says the opposite.
Jesus would turn over in his grave if he know what men have done to his movement of two millenia ago.
I only listen to those with 3 digit IQs.

Just wanted to point out Jesus is no longer in his grave since he rose on the third day lol

Nope. It is a religion of peace that has some war-like elements to it that are being drastically hi-jacked by extreme fundamentalists, that's all.

Being spread BY war is not the same as being a religion OF war. Christianity was spread by war on many occasions, the most severe being the Spanish conquests in the Americas, Crusades, etc. People hi-jacking a religion, even its founder, does not make it anything different than the majority of those practicing it, and that majority is for peace.

And?
Islam did at times spread through war and conquest. What? You think it is the only religion who did so? Then I suppose Christianity is a religion of war if that is the criteria we are following.

And the question fails. What Islam? What interpretation? :roll:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom