• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Homosexuality Considered Abnormal?

Is Homosexuality considered abnormal?

• YES

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Ask a Psychiatrist

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, homosexuality is abnormal because most people are not homosexual. Therefore, it is not the norm(al).

However, people with curly blonde hair are also not the norm, so they too are abnormal. And so on and so forth! So, it doesn't really make a difference whether or not it's "abnormal", there are plenty of things that are "abnormal". What it is not is inferior, lesser, whatever.

Also, someone wrote that humans were a heterosexual race? Wrong. Homosexuality has always been around, even in ancient times. You can dress it up however you want, but ultimately, when something has existed for so long, I'd say it becomes a part of the race too. So let's settle in between and call it a bisexual race. :)

Memnon said:
Yes, homosexuality is abnormal because most people are not homosexual. Therefore, it is not the norm(al).

It's not just a simply matter of "the majority" it's also biologically abnormal.

However, people with curly blonde hair are also not the norm, so they too are abnormal.

Nope that is genetic. Blond is a perfectly normal hair color. No proof that homosexuallity is genetic or a trait.

But you are confusing behaviors with physical traits, there is no connection.

And so on and so forth! So, it doesn't really make a difference whether or not it's "abnormal", there are plenty of things that are "abnormal". What it is not is inferior, lesser, whatever.

OK who said it was "inferior, lesser, or whatever"?

Also, someone wrote that humans were a heterosexual race?

Me and it was that we are a heterosexual species, which we are.

No right.

Homosexuality has always been around, even in ancient times.

Yes homosexual behavior has been around but that is a moot point. We are still a heterosexual species. It we ever start reproducing homosexually let me know.

You can dress it up however you want, but ultimately, when something has existed for so long, I'd say it becomes a part of the race too. So let's settle in between and call it a bisexual race. :)

Nope, and YOU are the one trying to dress things up not me. Lots of things have been around for a long time, that doesn't make them normal for the species.

Memnon said:

However, people with curly blonde hair are also not the norm, so they too are abnormal. And so on and so forth! So, it doesn't really make a difference whether or not it's "abnormal", there are plenty of things that are "abnormal". What it is not is inferior, lesser, whatever.

Also, someone wrote that humans were a heterosexual race? Wrong. Homosexuality has always been around, even in ancient times. You can dress it up however you want, but ultimately, when something has existed for so long, I'd say it becomes a part of the race too. So let's settle in between and call it a bisexual race. :)

The problem with your scenario people don't consider anyone with blonded hair immoral.......That is not the case with gays by the majority of Americans.......

Navy Pride said:
And its just as abnormal for them...........
Yes it was. This person who I knew personally is someone who cannot stand homosexuals. And yet it was okay for him to use the person for his own sexual gratification. He'd been in basic training in the Army and had not been able to have sex for months. So the first person who approached him was a gay man in a bar in Amsterdam. I guess you could say he was a "bisexual" while in the service, as he also had sex with women.:doh :shock:

I answered no. Homosexuality has always occured in our species and is therefore a normal aspect of our species. What would be abnormal is if no homosexuality occured within an entire generation of the human race.

Stinger said:
It's not just a simply matter of "the majority" it's also biologically abnormal.

So are albino men and women but they are allowed to marry. In fact Albino are rarer than homsexuals. A myphrodite (a person with male and female genitals) can allow to marry, but that also is a biological anomoly.

I fail to see your point.

M14 Shooter said:
Yeah, thats what I thought. No balls.

Just as we all knew...no substance, just slanted attacks to make you feel better about being such a small person. Just makes one wonder what you are making up for with your obsession over big guns...:rofl

GarzaUK said:
So are albino men and women but they are allowed to marry.

It's not biologically abnormal for an albino man to marry a woman. You are comparing a physical trait with a behavior, apples and oranges.

And people who engage in homosexuality are allowed to marry, they can go to many churches and be married if what that is what they want even to someone of the opposite. Or they can excerise the same right everyone else has, to marry someone of the opposite sex in a legally sanctioned marriage.

In fact Albino are rarer than homsexuals. A myphrodite (a person with male and female genitals) can allow to marry, but that also is a biological anomoly. I fail to see your point.

A myphrodite is a mutation or other genetic or developemental flaw are you saying someone who claims to be a homosexual is a mutant or is somehow gentically flawed? And even with the apperance of both male and female genitals they are only one sex genetically. And they can declare which that is, actully the doctors do and then they are free to marry, in the legal sense, someone opposite.

GarzaUK said:
So are albino men and women but they are allowed to marry. In fact Albino are rarer than homsexuals. A myphrodite (a person with male and female genitals) can allow to marry, but that also is a biological anomoly.

I fail to see your point.

The key is with albinos is they can marry someone of the opposite sex.......

Since a complete physical is not required to marry no one would know if a person had bothe male and female genitals.......

Stinger said:
Proof of a genetic cause, that there is a physicality to homosexual behavior, no there is no proof of that. There are lots of theories about environmental causes whcih probably hold true. But that still gets to the choice of behavior. Homosexuality is not akin to race, or hair color, or even gender. Yes how long did people believe the abnormal was normal with regard to the earth, as we found out nature dictated the earth be round and homo sapiens be heterosexual beings. Can they engage in abnormal behaviors such as homosexuality? Of course.

Homosexuals and those who believe homosexuality is a normal behavior seem to get upset because the word abnormal is applied to the behavior and it is taken personally. Homosexuals for the most part are perfectly normal homo sapiens physically and mentally (although there is evidence people who engage in homosexuality suffer more mental health problems than those who do not but then did the behavior cause the mental health problems or vice versa). It's the behavior that is not normal, but abnormal.

So then you ignored it like I said you would. There is proof that homosexuality has a large basis in gentics. The twins study. It's all on that thread. Not that you'll read it.

M14 Shooter said:
It is?
Are men and women not designed to "interface" in a certain way?
This is a yes/no question.
No, they are not designed at all, your babbling, bigoted nonsense none withstanding.

Stinger said:
Nope that is genetic. Blond is a perfectly normal hair color. No proof that homosexuallity is genetic or a trait.

Kirk KM. Bailey JM. Dunne MP. Martin NG. Measurement models for sexual orientation in a community twin sample. Behavior Genetics. 30(4):345-56, 2000 Jul.
Estimates of the heritability of homosexuality in this sample ranged between 50 and 60% in females but were significantly lower (heritability of approximately 30%) in males

Pillard RC. Bailey JM. Human sexual orientation has a heritable component. Human Biology. 70(2):347-65, 1998 Apr.
We present an overview of behavioral genetics research on homosexual and heterosexual orientation. Family, twin, and adoptee studies indicate that homosexuality and thus heterosexuality run in families. Sibling, twin, and adoptee concordance rates are compatible with the hypothesis that genes account for at least half of the variance in sexual orientation. We note observations of homosexual behavior in animal species, but the analogy to human sexual orientation is unclear.

Gasztonyi Z. Genetic evaluation of male homosexuality. Orvosi Hetilap. 139(5):247-9, 1998 Feb 1.
The family trees of 16 homosexual males are evaluated in the material of their Genetic Counselling Clinic. The familial cluster of three cases corresponded to the X-linked recessive inheritance. The results of family, twin and adoption studies are reviewed and the recent findings of molecular genetic and brain researches are summarised. Male homosexuality comprises of different subgroups, but one major entity is caused by X-linked recessive gene(s). This genetic background represent a predisposition which is triggered or suppressed by external factors.

Me and it was that we are a heterosexual species, which we are.
And you Chose to be heterosexual, right?

Nope, and YOU are the one trying to dress things up not me. Lots of things have been around for a long time, that doesn't make them normal for the species.
However, it doesn't automatically make it "abnormal" other than in strictly statistical sense.

Navy Pride said:
The problem with your scenario people don't consider anyone with blonded hair immoral.......That is not the case with gays by the majority of Americans.......
Others' hate mongering bigotry doesn't have any bearing on this discussion, does it now.

Stinger said:
And people who engage in homosexuality are allowed to marry, they can go to many churches and be married if what that is what they want even to someone of the opposite. Or they can excerise the same right everyone else has, to marry someone of the opposite sex in a legally sanctioned marriage.
that is the worst kind of sophist, bigoted claptrap I have heard in a long time. Yes, when Louis XIV prohibited begging, he was "fair" in that both rich and poor were equally prohibited from begging under the law.

That is the same kind of smirky, slimy sophistry you are spewing here.

steen said:
No, they are not designed at all, your babbling, bigoted nonsense none withstanding.

Here we go, it did not take long.i been waiting for the bigot comments becasue someone has a difference of opinion.......And you liberals say we are the intolerant ones............

steen said:
Others' hate mongering bigotry doesn't have any bearing on this discussion, does it now.

When it comes to marriage it doesn't........At least for me..I am neither a bigot or a homophobe.I am just against gay marraige.......

ptsdkid said:
In order for me to answer the question whether certain people were born gay, I had to ask the question is being gay an abnormal function of our society. It certainly is according to God, and to me as well. It is my belief that people become gay by their exposure to certain abnormal environmental conditions.

KidTim

Yes it is abnormal.

When someone asks the question, "Is <fill in the blank> abnormal," they are not asking if something is a minority. They want to know if something is wrong with it. Get real.

alex said:
When someone asks the question, "Is <fill in the blank> abnormal," they are not asking if something is a minority. They want to know if something is wrong with it. Get real.

abnormal

: deviating from the normal or average : UNUSUAL,

Navy Pride said:
Here we go, it did not take long.i been waiting for the bigot comments becasue someone has a difference of opinion.......And you liberals say we are the intolerant ones............

I am perfectly happy being intolerent of intolerent people. Someone thinks women are inferior to men? I'm intolerent of them and proud of it.

Yes it is, but since when did "abnormal" become a bad word?:confused:

Kelzie said:
I am perfectly happy being intolerent of intolerent people. Someone thinks women are inferior to men? I'm intolerent of them and proud of it.

Who said that?:confused: I run everything in my home......The dishwasher, Washer and Dryer, etc......;)

This is a stupid question. Some consider homosexuality abnormal, and smart people do not.

Duke

Duke said:
This is a stupid question. Some consider homosexuality abnormal, and smart people do not.

Duke

The same person who thinks we should be negociating with terrorist want to define what is smart.Homosexuality is not normal,if it was normal everyone would be gay.Since it is not normal then homosexuality is abnormal.

Back
Top Bottom