• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Government still considered Government even if it's through voluntary contribution

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The Government is an agency that administers public policy.

As far as I can tell, public policy is a type of policy inherent with any organization that provides defense and dispute resolution regardless if it's contribution is voluntary or not.

When you talk about a network of cities and communities who are binded by contracts and networked through having a common dispute resolution agency and defense agency, people think of anarchy or worse yet, automatically assume that such a society can only exist in some kind of corporate tyranny which is ridiculous since this hypothetical scenario is emphasising a free society and voluntary contribution.

Re: Is Government still considered Government even if it's through voluntary contribu

So you want a government where all participation is voluntary? What is the point of having laws if everyone can simply choose not to follow them?

Re: Is Government still considered Government even if it's through voluntary contribu

Absolutely no offense, Shackleferd, but.....huh??

None taken Maggie

I'm asking two things.

1) Can an organization only call itself "Government" if the contributions are involuntary but the organization still provides defense and courts ?

2) Whats the difference between delegates signing and agreeing to a constitution and a groups of people assembling together to create a defense and court system ?

Last edited:

So you want a government where all participation is voluntary? What is the point of having laws if everyone can simply choose not to follow them?

Not law per se. I'm not intellectually ready enough to think about how law is to be practiced. Just talking about taxes really.

None taken Maggie

I'm asking two things.

1) Can an organization only call itself "Government" if the contributions are involuntary but the organization still provides defense and courts ?

It can call itself a government, but without enforcement powers, it would have no real power.

2) Whats the difference between delegates signing and agreeing to a constitution and a groups of people assembling together to create a defense and court system ?

The only thing I can think of is enforcement capability. In order for government to have power, it has to have the ability to do things people don't like. For example, a criminal doesn't like being caught, but if a government cannot enforce, it can call itself whatever it wants, but without the power, it has no use.

Last edited:

The only thing I can think of is enforcement capability.

That's what I'm starting to think as well.

There is one more difference that came to me earlier today. The kind of society I'm talking about is a theoretical society some people call "anarcho-capitalist.". Theoretically, let's say that there are like, 3 major court networks and defense agencies in this society and they all agree to clauses that state that they cannot infringe on liberty of merchants and traders and other people who are otherwise constituent to these entities. The difference between this and a confederate union is that a confederate union still maintains a constitution that is meant to be all encompassing and therefor monopolistic regardless if the confederacy allows for alternative court systems. Because of this, the anarcho-capitalist societies would be a mixture of what we would normally call states. A libertarian anarcho-capitalist "downtown" may be a place where all all of the agencies have jurisdiction since it's a popular spot where merchants and traders from all over are coming together. So if you were to identify these groups on a map as if they were states, you'd have to use colors that can mix since they'd over lap over each other and these groups would be sprinkled all over the place.

I don't think I'm making any sense or making myself any clearer.

Back
Top Bottom