• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is God real?

Americanization said:
Does God exist...interesting question.

The answer is as simple as this: Who cares? People are happy believing in something. The existance of God could never be proven...or disproven.

Are you sure? What constitutes proof?

OK, first of all, I believe that there is some sort of god. But it makes no difference to me what other people believe. I'm not going to try to convert everyone to my side or anything like that. To me, its not worth wasting your life trying to figure out if a god exists. I prefer to live a spiritual life without worrying so much about religion specifics. For example, I'm Catholic, but I disagree with a lot of Catholic beliefs. But does that mean I'm going to leave the Church? Probably not.

I'd say that 'God' exists. The simple reason for my affirmation is that matter cannot come from nowhere. Therefore, we must have something to create that matter, and that something must have created itself as well. So, we come to the idea of God.

But I don't really know (I suppose I don't know if there's even a God or higher power at all, but for the sake of conversation...) whether this 'God' is truly a god or a gigher power, or if there are many 'Gods'. So, for theists of all kinds, I believe the question is not so much 'is there a God', but rather 'What is God?'.

anomaly said:
I'd say that 'God' exists. The simple reason for my affirmation is that matter cannot come from nowhere. Therefore, we must have something to create that matter, and that something must have created itself as well. So, we come to the idea of God.
Matter can indeed come from nowhere and it does so continuously. In quantum physics these are called 'virtual particles'.

If there is a God, then that God exhibits no empirical evidence. No flaming throne in the sky nor lightning bolts descending upon those that violate His holy commandments. If God is indeed omniscient, then it seems that simple faith is His chosen vehicle of conveyance.

I agree with Tashah on the above point. It is my belief that faith is the test of this life(this is what the scriptures seem to teach and their is wisdom in this it seems to me.) If it wasn't, God would just overwhelmingly prove his existence by coming down and showing us. It seems the miracles happen after the test of faith and not before.
There is very little hard evidence(archeological) for anything in the scriptures and it was probably meant to be this way. I personally believe the scriptures are not just historical, but really, really good history (as far as it is translated correctly, as we do not have the original manuscripts. This is where prayer and having God's spirit with you while you read is needed.) The scriptures is God writing a piece of literature using real characters and a real historical setting.

I think there's plenty of evidence supporting an intelligent designer.

Better question is probably:

Is the Christian God or any dogmatic deity Real?

Back
Top Bottom